Gardening On The Islands

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all this rain lately, everyone must be out in their welly boots! :D

(that's rubber boats if you don't know)

The rain is a blessing and a curse.... the blessing being not having to water the garden, the curse that the weeds have taken off like crazy :realangry:It's starting to feel like November again.

Driving around the island lately there are some lovely trees blooming, some of the Bougainvillea are particularly nice at the moment but many other plants too, of course this generally means a heavy duty pruning to get them manageable size again....

I've been wanting to get some veggies in, that's been delayed because of several overseas visitors.... none of whom volunteered to help :rolleyes: ....

I have been looking for Italian Basil seed, which is usually easy to get, I tried several of the nurseries on Samui & even the "Garage" in Tongsala Koh Phangan, who usually have... but getting "No Have" every where.... anyone seen?

If any one still looking for plastic seed trays (mentioned earlier) the Garage in Tonsala do have in stock, I cannot remember if the were 25 or 50 baht each....

Another of my experiments, I think is working....:

I bagged some seaweed at one of the beaches near me, to experiment putting around plants, much to my Thai neighbours surprise.... and comment "no work... plants dead" ..... Well nothing has died, but in doing this experiment it'd hard to say whether the cooler damp weather has made things perk up (especially my three surviving roses) or whether the sea weed actually helped.... time will tell... But seaweed is usually good for plants.....

Happy Gardening!

No idea why your neighbors don't know the seaweed trick, probably not locals to the island. Every islander I know knows about it!

Well I think most of the neighbours from BKK & or Essan, would be part of it, but then when I travel to the rice growing areas of Songkhla my friends there use rice husks, which would be unknown here too...

Composting is just not on the "radar screen" ... I've tried to show them how to do... to little avail!

It would be good to see more of the coconut places here, that burn the husks, to grind them... that would be a good secondary industry, I think....

]th_034-1.jpg

Does anyone know what this flower is called? I'm practicing with adding pictures I hope it works..

It's called "Hymenocallis" I don't have a common name for it, there is also a variagated form of it as well... but I find variegated on gets eaten by slugs or something, more than the green version.

It blooms about twice a year for me, quite an interesting flower. Needs more sun than shade.

It can be divided quite easily...

More pictures would be good, this worked well... I never seem to find the time to do as many as I would like... resizing always tedious!:)

]th_034-1.jpg

Does anyone know what this flower is called? I'm practicing with adding pictures I hope it works..

It's called "Hymenocallis" I don't have a common name for it, there is also a variagated form of it as well... but I find variegated on gets eaten by slugs or something, more than the green version.

It blooms about twice a year for me, quite an interesting flower. Needs more sun than shade.

More pictures would be good, this worked well... I never seem to find the time to do as many as I would like... resizing always tedious!:)

The common name is spider lilies. Planted some 6 months ago but they haven't bloomed yet ..... perhaps because they were young plants or maybe cos they are too much in the shade?

]th_034-1.jpg

The common name is spider lilies. Planted some 6 months ago but they haven't bloomed yet ..... perhaps because they were young plants or maybe cos they are too much in the shade?

That would be a good common name, Blue Bell! :) We'll stick with that!

If memory serves they bloom in April and again in September or October... but with this rain, well, who knows this year! My book says they prefer sun, mine do get reasonable amount of afternoon sun & seem OK. (would be easy to move, if you need to, the roots are a bit like Leeks..... )

It may vary in different parts of Thailand.... as to when they bloom...

Does anyone know if there's a shrub available on Samui like f.e. Buddleja davidii (summer lilac, butterfly-bush)?

Moved to this beachfront house a year ago and I already found it's hard to grow plants this close to the sea. And

the fact that I don't have 'green' fingers is causing problems too ;) Would like some plants that attract butterflies

but so far the plants that really like the garden are the hisbiscus, bougainvillae, frangipani, lantana, jungle flame

and of course the weeds! :lol: Would love to add some more plants to the garden, but haven't got the faintest idea

which plants would like to grow this close to sea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know if there's a shrub available on Samui like f.e. Buddleja davidii (summer lilac, butterfly-bush)?

Moved to this beachfront house a year ago and I already found it's hard to grow plants this close to the sea. And

the fact that I don't have 'green' fingers is causing problems too ;) Would like some plants that attract butterflies

but so far the plants that really like the garden are the hisbiscus, bougainvillae, frangipani, lantana, jungle flame

and of course the weeds! :lol: Would love to add some more plants to the garden, but haven't got the faintest idea

which plants would like to grow this close to sea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Mitmig

It must be raining still & every one bored silly! so many questions in one day! Gives me something to do :D

As for Buddlea davidii, it won't do here in the south, I am pretty certain of that, (too warm at night) but if any one has seen, in southern areas, please post! ( I might be wrong.... that never happens..well maybe once! .:))

It is listed in the Landscape book for Thailand, but I think would do well in the northern regions or at higher elevations... where temperatures drop below 15c ...

As for other Seaside plants, Itssohothere posted a bit of a list, which you can read through, I would also check and see what your neighbours are growing and take pictures to the garden shop. click back one page and you'll find the list....

Also stop by a paint & tool shop & get a can of green paint for your thumbs :cheesy: & a hoe for the weeds :D 'Cos they are going to take off like crazy once the rain does stop...

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply SamuiJimmy! That list of Itishothere looks great and I’m using the same nursery :)

Last week (before the rain started) I bought some bua din, because they grow even faster than the weeds B) . The lirope looks very interesting, but I’m really glad with the fact that there are daylilies in the garden centers! Hope it's not only the spider lily? Haven’t come across one, but then I always end up visiting the nursery when nothing blooms <_< . Once the roads are free to Maenam, I’ll go back with a new wish list, only hope I can explain what I want. Last time I was there I wanted some lantana and the lady said ‘no have’ before I realized I was almost standing on them :D Unfortunately the only thing my neighbors are growing is coconut trees!

Forgot to mention that the Thevetia really likes the sea, they are growing like crazy!

I read that you put seaweed around your plants, but I can't figure out how you use it? Do you mix it with the soil? :unsure:

The rain finally stopped late afternoon! :lol:

I have been looking for Italian Basil seed, which is usually easy to get, I tried several of the nurseries on Samui & even the "Garage" in Tongsala Koh Phangan, who usually have... but getting "No Have" every where.... anyone seen?

A while back I saw them hanging in Tesco Lotus, Nathon and I was really surprised because I always get my mum to send over some seeds.

Tried growing them, but the grasshoppers like them too much :angry:

]th_034-1.jpg

If memory serves they bloom in April and again in September or October... but with this rain, well, who knows this year! My book says they prefer sun, mine do get reasonable amount of afternoon sun & seem OK. (would be easy to move, if you need to, the roots are a bit like Leeks..... )

My daughter took this picture in December 2010 we were walking around the grounds of Harry's Bungalows... We like to tour the gardens of all the hotels....

Thanks for the quick reply SamuiJimmy! That list of Itishothere looks great and I'm using the same nursery :)

Last week (before the rain started) I bought some bua din, because they grow even faster than the weeds B) . The lirope looks very interesting, but I'm really glad with the fact that there are daylilies in the garden centers! Hope it's not only the spider lily? Haven't come across one, but then I always end up visiting the nursery when nothing blooms <_< . Once the roads are free to Maenam, I'll go back with a new wish list, only hope I can explain what I want. Last time I was there I wanted some lantana and the lady said 'no have' before I realized I was almost standing on them :D Unfortunately the only thing my neighbors are growing is coconut trees!

Forgot to mention that the Thevetia really likes the sea, they are growing like crazy!

I read that you put seaweed around your plants, but I can't figure out how you use it? Do you mix it with the soil? :unsure:

The rain finally stopped late afternoon! :lol:

The problem with plant names is the Thai's don't use the Latin names, that is why good to take a picture (on digital camera).... or flip through the Landscape books they have, which do give the Latin / English & Thai names....

I don't know Trevietia, the picture on the wikky link, does not give much leaf detail..... but looks like Allemanda... which is fairly common here....

Not sure what "bua din" is either.... ????

As for Hymenocallis, unless that is a spelling mistake in the book, (possible!) Dayliles are Hemerocallis, I believe the pink trumpet flowers that should start blooming soon, are Amaryllis, which you see in naturalized masses when driving around .... some time soon...

As for the Sea weed, well I just plopped it around the plants, both on the ground and in the larger pots.... (helps stop the weeds from growing!) Digging it in to new soil probably would not harm, (wash off salt first!) but do mix with the existing soil and probably chop it up a bit too... whilst mixing, so as to prevent "air pockets" around the roots!

I've not had luck with Lantana, maybe because of too much TLC :o as you do see it growing wild in a number of areas on the island....

Thanks for mentioning were you saw Italian basil, next trip to Nanton I'll see if they still have.... Chawang Tesco only had Holy Basil.... :bah: I did have success two years ago with it, lasted from April to October... I probably used the garlic & chilly spray mix, to prevent insect attacks, I posted that mix way back when!.... just go back though the pages....

Another down pour happening right now ... it's going to take a few days of dry weather to dry out the soil... :(

My daughter took this picture in December 2010 we were walking around the grounds of Harry's Bungalows... We like to tour the gardens of all the hotels....

Yes, some of the hotels and bungalows have some wonderful gardens.... wander through the Centura Grand in Chawang sometime,

The problem with plant names is the Thai's don't use the Latin names, that is why good to take a picture (on digital camera).... or flip through the Landscape books they have, which do give the Latin / English & Thai names....

I don't know Trevietia, the picture on the wikky link, does not give much leaf detail..... but looks like Allemanda... which is fairly common here....

As for Hymenocallis, unless that is a spelling mistake in the book, (possible!) Dayliles are Hemerocallis, I believe the pink trumpet flowers that should start blooming soon, are Amaryllis, which you see in naturalized masses when driving around .... some time soon...

As for the Sea weed, well I just plopped it around the plants, both on the ground and in the larger pots.... (helps stop the weeds from growing!) Digging it in to new soil probably would not harm, (wash off salt first!) but do mix with the existing soil and probably chop it up a bit too... whilst mixing, so as to prevent "air pockets" around the roots!

I've not had luck with Lantana, maybe because of too much TLC :o as you do see it growing wild in a number of areas on the island....

Thanks for mentioning were you saw Italian basil, next trip to Nanton I'll see if they still have.... Chawang Tesco only had Holy Basil.... :bah: I did have success two years ago with it, lasted from April to October... I probably used the garlic & chilly spray mix, to prevent insect attacks, I posted that mix way back when!.... just go back though the pages....

Another down pour happening right now ... it's going to take a few days of dry weather to dry out the soil... :(

I did a search on Google images for the trevietia, because mine isn't flowering yet. And this is photo I took of the bua din, as far as I know they come in white and pink and look somewhat familiar to the crocus. The orange Amaryllis is already blooming in the garden, they pop up every where.

The pink and white lantana is growing very well in the garden, but I have no idea what TCL is?! :rolleyes:

Already collected a lot of seaweed this afternoon :)

I did a search on Google images for the trevietia, because mine isn't flowering yet. And this is photo I took of the bua din, as far as I know they come in white and pink and look somewhat familiar to the crocus. The orange Amaryllis is already blooming in the garden, they pop up every where.

The pink and white lantana is growing very well in the garden, but I have no idea what TLC is?! :rolleyes:

Hi Mitmig...

Ah! now I know the Bua din, it was blooming before the rains started... a bit washed out now, never seems to bloom for long, but will again later in the year... you can divide up when finished blooming.... has small bulblets....

Should be lots of Sea weed along the beaches now, seems to me it's a blight along Chawang beach, according to past posts else where in the forum....

TLC = Tender loving care! :) Perhaps I had my Lantana, in wrong spot, (too wet perhaps) they are obviously drought resistant since they survive so well in the wild....

TTFN = Ta Ta for now! (Good Bye!!!)

Thanks for the PM, about Basil.

The pink and white lantana is growing very well in the garden, but I have no idea what TCL is?! :rolleyes:

Its a rain lily or zephyranthes. Lots of the lilies have bua in their name

]th_034-1.jpg

Mine just about to bloom again.The stalk is there with all the buds.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it's nearly a month since the last post here!

It's hard to believe that after all the rain and flooding we had, that many plants in the garden are starting to "flag" (drooping their leaves).... Now having to spend an hour or so each day lately, watering the garden :bah:

I see my Spider lilies are just starting to bud up and the bougainvillea starting to re-bloom again, obviously a plant that does not like wet weather! Many other flowering plants seem to be OK, my three surviving (just!) roses, had blooms on them during the rain, but now back to weak looking plants again!

I see the mealy bugs are back on the Hibiscus too... the whitish fuzzy stuff that grows on the tips of the branches... need to refer back to my recipe to make up a spray solution.

Except for a couple of my Crotons (the common green & yellow speckled shrubby plant) dieing, most things seemed to have survived quite well with the second flooding within a few months.

Weeds getting a hold on the garden again, especially that little blue flowered weed, I suppose I should get on top of that, quickly, before they take over again! ... although lately have enjoyed just sitting in the garden rather than working it!

Questions welcome! :)

have you or anyone else found an actual local source of neem oil? (sadao or kadao for the gf/bf)

i'm not looking for the bags of azadirachtin found at local shopping centers, and not in the form of a blend with other products for growth or flowering or pest control. only the oil. ???

have you or anyone else found an actual local source of neem oil? (sadao or kadao for the gf/bf)

i'm not looking for the bags of azadirachtin found at local shopping centers, and not in the form of a blend with other products for growth or flowering or pest control. only the oil. ???

There are plenty of Neem trees growing around the island, exactly how to go about extrating the oil is not some thing I am sure about how to do...probably a tedious long process!

How ever if you stop in the garden shop in Maenam or it's sister shop closer to Ban Por, they do sell it... without going back on early posts it's either BS1 or BS 2 or 3...???? :o but the girls at the nursery know.... I always used the term "Sadao"... with them... comes in small bottles if I remember about 60 baht... then dilute & mix and spray!

Hope that helps! :)

thanks jimmy. the process really isn't that complicated as it's only cold pressed fruit/seed. from what i can gather so far, thai's don't seem to think it works. i did just pick up a bottle at tesco actually, only because i can read basic thai but still unsure whether it's got any other additives. i'm going to get some leaves and flowers and start extracting myself.

• 4 weeks later...

so yesterday i was burning several large piles of wood and leaves that i had trimmed and cut down once my neighbor chopped down a mango tree and other assorted unwanted trees from his yard. i had already gone through these huge piles once, trimming cutting and sorting.

then after reaching and grabbing my next load to drop into the fire, i notice that i have literally thousands of very tiny spikes or spines in both of my hands. obviously i had touched an animal or insect that didn't want to be touched. after about one hour of tweezing and scraping we had managed to get the vast majority out and i finished all of the work but now my hands are swollen and itch like hell.

any idea what kind of insect this was so i can google it and get a better idea of how to avoid it next time?

google thinks it's a caterpillar. i never saw it so don't have a photo, only a memory.

Hard to say without seeing, but did you see small bees while you were clearing? The Thai honey bees are much smaller than the north American / Europe versions, (look like small flies) and sting like "hell" and swelling lasts two or three days.... :angry:

Antihistamines will / may help, but make you very very sleepy ... so do not drive!!

If you stop at Gai's pharmacy on sea side of Soi 4 in Maenam, (traffic light) she's usually good a sorting things like this.... and much cheaper than other pharmacies. 25 years of nursing experience and her hubby a doctor, who is sometimes down from BKK..... good for "free consultation" when he's here!

Next time wear leather gloves! Although my neighbour boy seems to get stung several times a year in the face... so perhaps use full armor when messing in the garden! :D

Archived