Does 'thai Culture' Have An Impact Upon The Quality Of Education In Thailand?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 'expert' has spoken. seems that peer-reviewed articles are better than what we can say here on 'blogs'. does that mean we should close the thread? :)

no wonder academia has such a bad name :D

He may have spoken, but I have no idea what he actually said.

^ :D

@'JH'

Most peer-reviewed literature available in English related to cutting-edge issues in education is certainly not written by educational researchers working in Thailand, so I doubt very much that the specifics of Thai educational culture would be widely discussed in many such papers- haven't seen that much of it myself in recent journals- thus the value of this kind of discussion. (From what I've seen of so-called 'master's' research presentations at conferences here in Thailand, I feel little need to delve far into the Thai language journals- that's for you, Myauq). Furthermore, there is fairly substantial educational literature supporting the value of informal discussion and networks in learning, which leads me to suspect you are possibly trolling... but in any case, I don't think we need a metadiscussion here about the value of discussion. :D

@Phetaroi,

I would put it more strongly than you: I don't think that stodginess or conservativism is only a characteristic of Thai education; I think it is the defining quality of Thai education, it is the whole point! Of course some elements change over time, but the social dynamics probably have remained the same for at least the last 50 or 60 years or even more, and the 'no fail' policy (itself a relatively 'recent' invention only decade or so old) only serves to weaken the notion that academics are somehow considered an important point. Academics here will continue to pay lip service to new ideals (like accessibility) but really- since when have people with special needs been either a budgetary or an academic priority *of any kind* here? The standard social role for such individuals is still beggar on the streets, or seller of lottery tickets, unless their families are already wealthy- why would society (either families or schools) bother to spend money on them? Or, if its a learning disability, they simply become the 'slow kids'- I bet there isn't a single therapist working to help public Thai school students with dyslexia (at least, so claims a Thai friend of mine here with very high level educational credentials). To be fair, these challenges strain the resources and imaginations even of countries with the most liberal policies. Thai academics at best will be left to describe the paucity of the systems, as your friend is doing, for the sake of being read by no one with enough power who cares to do anything about it. In any case, as cold and unfriendly as it sounds, unnecessarily scarce resources will probably be redirected by families- and governments- first to those who have the greatest chance of rewarding the investment within the society's present context.

@El K,

I agree with you that the triangle of authority you mention is at the peak of the hierarchy, but it's only (literally) the tip of the pyramid- the system is also set up to maintain the pecking order all the way down to richer/older teachers above poorer/younger teachers, teachers above students, better students above worse students, and so on. While they may in some ways pay lip service to the values of free speech and secularism, they would have to give up this pecking order in order to do it. Even assuming they could clearly see *how* to do it, it remains unlikely that those with most of the power- senior individuals who have clawed their way up in the system- would have the motivation to give up their life's work for an ideal. (RH, if plain English isn't enough for you, you may wish to comment from your broad academic experience on how this type of 'figured world' limits the identities and ways of being for its participants).

Thanks for that link, by the way- am putting that material in my very long queue of things I need to get around to reading... :D

Incidentally, a post has been removed for flaming and its poster temporarily suspended. :)

• 3 months later...

From JohnHofmannIV;

So, The short answer to the question of, "Does Thai culture have an impact on the quality of education in Thailand?" is rhetorical. Yes, of course it does. But, most formulas (chemical or otherwise) do not work in only one direction ( A to B ). The question implies that "Thai culture" is the independent variable and "the quality of education" is the dependent variable (i.e. cause and effect).

Another important point is that it is difficult to examine how "thai culture" affects "the quality of education" since education is an important variable within the construct of "Thai culture".

Thank goodness you got it right!! (see bolded remark).

Well, if one wishes to be scientific in an examination of such things, I believe that 'one' will quickly uncover the following truth;

"Thai Culture plays a large part in determining the quality of education in Thailand."

As we speak, the Thai ICT is banning websites. Why? Because these websites 'disagree' with (amongst other things) Thai Culture, to some degree. This act thereby limits people to possible other educational information.

My students are testimony to the growing rejection of a set of 'fixed & unmoveable rules'. The more they hear about other educational styles, the more they want to be rid of the 'Thai style' of education.

Quite simply, people (this includes students) are slowly becoming 'sick to death' of the neverending crap coming from the mouths of politicians (the wealthy).

The students want to learn but they can't, thanks to things like 'rote learning' & 'loss of face'.

My wish is that Thai students can see the difference between western education & cultural ideals.

For example, many students in Australia don't see a teacher as someone who is a 'god'...they see a teacher as someone who has a job. Unfortunately, these teachers in Primary & Secondary education must tolerate disrespect from students. In Thailand, this 'disrespect' is not as prevalent as in the western world.

Clearly, lessons could be learnt from both the western world & Thailand...but will this happen or will Thailand end up being another totally westernised country?

I sincerely hope that Thailand is 'grown up' enough to take the good parts of western education & reject the bad parts. This will require people (Thais) to actually embrace a different way of thinking for a brief time.

The whole country will not move in any direction unless the Thai government begins to seriously address Thai education. The ministry of culture needs to have greatly reduced power in the direct matters of the country, if Thailand is to 'change' in any way. At the same time, this ministry can be very beneficial but only if it is strictly limited to the cultural aspects (memorable things) of Thailand & not to such things as education etc.

'Stagnant' water is 'still' water. I hope that Thailand will grow out of it's stagnant cultural bind.

I briefly read some of these posts and have a few comments. I am an expert in motivation and learning. My research pertains to cultural values and the processes through which individuals are socialized.

Culture and education are multidimensional issues that overlap. A good way to begin to understand these variables is to define what is meant by "Thai culture" and "the quality of education". Providing this foundation will result in a more productive discussion. However, without knowledge of the structure and function of both culture and education (i.e. the variables that provide foundations for their meaning), the question becomes inconsequential.

After 10 years of teaching in various capacities, and five years of research experience, I am quite certain that structure of any educational system significantly relates to its function. But this is nothing new under the sun. Experts can influence almost any psychological and/or social variable deemed necessary for the progress of a system.

So, The short answer to the question of, "Does Thai culture have an impact on the quality of education in Thailand?" is rhetorical. Yes, of course it does. But, most formulas (chemical or otherwise) do not work in only one direction ( A to B ). The question implies that "Thai culture" is the independent variable and "the quality of education" is the dependent variable (i.e. cause and effect). Another important point is that it is difficult to examine how "thai culture" affects "the quality of education" since education is an important variable within the construct of "Thai culture".

I do not have a lot of experience with internet blogs simply because many individuals just want to complain and or give their $0.02 based on whatever knowledge they have or think they have. And when I read the comments about social engineering and various conspiracies, my first thought is to tell people to find a good peer-reviewed article on www.scholar.google.com and start reading. All the answers you seek are already there.

Dr. X

Thats cleared that up then.

I don't think Thai culture is restraining the Thai education system. I think the Thai education system is restraining Thai culture. Here's why:

Thai culture, like all cultures, is a socialized response to its basic needs (food, clothing, shelter, family, government, search for knowledge, religion, etc.) . This country has many cultural differences. No one belongs to just one narrow cultural group. People are born into certain groups and then join or become part of other groups by moving, changing economic status, etc.. We all belong to many cultures at once.

I don't fully understand the government's definition of Thai culture and how they plan to implement it. I hope they realize that an effective education system needs to address cultural differences as a positive thing. I believe Thai students would be less passive if teachers were allowed to follow a multi-cultural curriculum; especially in the early grades. A student's own sense of cultural identity will not become evident until they learn about other cultures. Their culture is the only "lens" through which they see the outside world. I think the "institutions" of Thailand are not constrained by Thai culture. Instead, they are constrained by ignorance of non-Thai cultural similarities/differences in the physical/virtual (internet) world. Their actions are constrained because feel threatened by non-Thai cultures. Sound familiar?

Good, bad or indifferent; cultures are continually evolving. Thai "institutions" need to deal with it and so do we. Maybe we can help. Maybe we can't. Might be a topic for future discussion. I also believe that firsthand experience is necessary to understand many subtleties of any culture. And one should understand the language of a culture to best understand that culture. Most of all, I think we should never forget that what is logical and important in a culture may seem irrational and unimportant to an outsider.

Please be aware that my understandings and beliefs about this topic have been constrained by my own cultural background (lens).

Edited by rijb

Of course it does, though I cannot see neither I'm interested to think which are the good influences and the bad ones. But it makes sense, generally speaking, that a nation's culture has impact on everything what happens in that nations country, including the education :)

I agree that Thai culture has a profound effect on education. It starts before toilet training and continues to death. You cannot avoid it or beat it. It affects all teachers and students. Western backgrounds are irrelevant.

Yes and no. I guess you know Hofstede's theories, but add to that the factor of change.

I haven't read this whole thread yet but will be back after my upcoming trip (ie in ten days from now). Being a teacher on tertiary level covering cross-cultural issues, I find this highly interesting.

I agree that Thai culture has a profound effect on education. It starts before toilet training and continues to death. You cannot avoid it or beat it. It affects all teachers and students. Western backgrounds are irrelevant.

Yes and no. I guess you know Hofstede's theories, but add to that the factor of change.

I haven't read this whole thread yet but will be back after my upcoming trip (ie in ten days from now). Being a teacher on tertiary level covering cross-cultural issues, I find this highly interesting.

I guess it's all about, "Which comes first? Education or culture?"

I guess it's all about, "Which comes first? Education or culture?"

Well, I do believe that education changes the culture. I don't know whether anybody follows me in my thoughts, but I posit that education changes the Power Distance Index (now, that's stuff for a whole research paper). Moving from Hofstede's theories about National Cultures to Rahim's theories about Conflict Management, I believe that education changes a culture from Conflict Avoidance (which would apply for Thai culture) to Integration (as in the West). Not totally, but a shift towards it.

But then, this is the other way around. The OP questioned whether culture has an impact on education, not whether education has an impact on culture. I would say this is a chicken-and-egg situation.

Well, I do believe that education changes the culture. I don't know whether anybody follows me in my thoughts, but I posit that education changes the Power Distance Index (now, that's stuff for a whole research paper). Moving from Hofstede's theories about National Cultures to Rahim's theories about Conflict Management, I believe that education changes a culture from Conflict Avoidance (which would apply for Thai culture) to Integration (as in the West). Not totally, but a shift towards it.

But then, this is the other way around. The OP questioned whether culture has an impact on education, not whether education has an impact on culture. I would say this is a chicken-and-egg situation.

Thats cleared that up then!

Tombkk: Thanks. It actually does help clear it up a little for me. I certainly think culture affects education and would hope that education ultimately would affect culture.

If the educational component of the equation were brought up to speed, then I think cultural changes would be more evident and quicker--not that that is always a smooth road.

Tombkk: Thanks. It actually does help clear it up a little for me. I certainly think culture affects education and would hope that education ultimately would affect culture.

If the educational component of the equation were brought up to speed, then I think cultural changes would be more evident and quicker--not that that is always a smooth road.

And here is the provocative question: Is it OK to change a culture by bringing in Western values through education? - I believe it is. I do not believe that it is romantic to live in the third-world environment and value education very high, to the extent that the inevitable cultural change is acceptable.

This is just my humble opinion, and criticism is welcome.