My Neighborhood Under Siege: Ratchaprasong

I happen to live right in the middle of the Ratchaprasong area that is under siege by the Red Shirts.

Many thousands protesters and loudspeaker trucks make a hel_l of a noise out here - 24 hours a day and now for about 10 days nonstop. The tension is rising here since another violent crackdown might still happen. Sadly enough is that just two days ago there has been terrible bloodshed once the army came in and tried to disperse the crowd at another rally site. [/size][/font] From my windows I can see the action going on down there. In order to go on with my life as normally as possible I have no other choice than to dive into the red masses from time to time. I always take a strictly neutral approach and don't condemn or judge anyone. If I am approached by friendly people I don't care what color they wear. With this attitude it is actually not an unpleasant experience at all to go down there and dive into the red crowd, taste the varieties of food they offer, listen to some music sometimes, watch many people dancing and cheering and so many still just being happy while I try to neglect all the political propaganda around. People are warm and friendly and many approach me even apologising for the inconveniences they cause; people offer me some specialities from Issan, drinks, ice coffee... Even after the terrible events that happened at Phan Fah the people around Ratchaprasong are still friendly, happy and mostly smiling.

In one sense I have no other choice than to sort of joining the rally and the people down there to go get some food and maybe some entertainment at times but I am certainly not joining the political propaganda rally - I am not wearing red or any other political color.

Until now all has been peaceful in the area where I live and I really hope it will stay that way. Whatever happens I just don't want to see more bloodshed - especially not just in front of our house. I am praying that finally some men on all sides involved will display the wisdom needed to find a peaceful compromise.

Here a link to some pictures I have taken during the last couple of days around my neighborhood that document the daily life out there:

Ratchaprasong

I keep updating the photostream with some new photos nearly every day.

Has someone else got collections of photos about the recent events to share?

Edited by TallForeigner

Hardly fits in with the popular "violent thugs" tune so many other threads are singing. What you describe is very typical of Issan people. The other side

is that they are very tough and durable....as the establishment is finding out. So many of our TV resident experts had them written off from day one.

"They will go home as soon as the sticky rice runs out" "They are only there because they get paid" were two of the favorite lines. I seriously doubt

if any of these armchair experts have ever met a "redshirt" or spend any time in Issan.

Hi!

I am Brian and from Denmark-living in Chiang Rai.

I like to send photos to my freinds back home on facebook,so that they can see this butyfull country and its people-I wood like to use some of your pictures her but I see they are copyrighted-can I get a permission.and how to do.???

Have a nice time and take care.

Brian

Hi!

I am Brian and from Denmark-living in Chiang Rai.

I like to send photos to my freinds back home on facebook,so that they can see this butyfull country and its people-I wood like to use some of your pictures her but I see they are copyrighted-can I get a permission.and how to do.???

Have a nice time and take care.

Brian

I send you a private message on that matter.

• 2 weeks later...