Where To Meet New Friends ?

svenivan

Lets just say some people are sensitive , some arn't . This has been going on quite a while. I doubt you are wrong very often and I'm not saying your wrong here. just time to meet everyone in the middle and perhaps compromise. I'm suggesting removing one or two words occasionally which could be taken the wrong way. Your sure to say why should you compromise. I'm out of here.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Kandahar, you been to 6 hashes last year!?!?! I was the guy chasing everyone to pay (Hash Cash), I must have missed you ! Did not think I missed anyone of the 2 years I was HC. I even got money from some people just passing on the road! :)

I am happy that we can meet tomorrow with lots of other people. I have contacted the GM and Hash Beer that they stock up with extra drinks (water and some beer etc) tomorrow because it might be more people than normal!

:D:D:D

Hey Kandahar, you been to 6 hashes last year!?!?! I was the guy chasing everyone to pay (Hash Cash), I must have missed you ! Did not think I missed anyone of the 2 years I was HC. I even got money from some people just passing on the road! :)

I am happy that we can meet tomorrow with lots of other people. I have contacted the GM and Hash Beer that they stock up with extra drinks (water and some beer etc) tomorrow because it might be more people than normal!

Nah, you didn't miss me. In fact, I think you charged me twice, most times.

I'm Hard Wired, dude. The Wife is Short Circuit.

You can put us down on the Pepsi list for tomorrow.

Wish I could be there, sadly I won't be in the Kingdom until May 16th and up to CR on the 19th-21st before heading up to Chiang Saen.

Hope you all have fun in the sun.

If I was in the Rai I reckon I'd go for the more AC oriented activities, what with my pale blue East London tan and all!

I'll keep looking at this thread in case anything is going on when I'm in town.

Cheers,

Biff

Hard Wired certainly rings a bell with me. We've probably met already.

SpermBank & Missed period Would you believe :)

I would love to say I remember. But I don't. The names that you write are familiar but until I see you there, it won't click. I have a bad memory for things like that. But I'm sure we will both recognize each other tomorrow if you have been there a lot.

The only guy that really sticks in my mind is that dude that keeps asking me for money. For the first three or four Hashes, I thought I was loaning him money. After that first Hash, I would think "Man, that guy sure has some hard luck. He's no better off this time than the last. I sure hope things turn around for him." And I noticed that EVERYBODY was contributing and I felt so proud of my fellow Hashers for looking out for the guy. Finally, at a later Hash, I refused to loan him any money. It was obvious that all the help I was giving really wasn't helping him. His answer was to blacklist me at the beer cooler. I've got his number now.

I'll figure you out tomorrow, jubby.

Wish I could be there, sadly I won't be in the Kingdom until May 16th and up to CR on the 19th-21st before heading up to Chiang Saen.

If I was in the Rai I reckon I'd go for the more AC oriented activities, what with my pale blue East London tan and all!

Cheers,

Biff

Sorry to hear you won't make it. Maybe next time.

I'm all for the AC stuff. Whenever it gets figured out, I'll show up.

If you ever want to stop by the house here, then do. We are on the Google map and easy to find. Just give me a heads-up and I'll PM you with the info. We always have a fresh bucket of ice, hot coffee and usually, some Pepsi Max on hand.

The only guy that really sticks in my mind is that dude that keeps asking me for money. For the first three or four Hashes, I thought I was loaning him money. After that first Hash, I would think "Man, that guy sure has some hard luck. He's no better off this time than the last. I sure hope things turn around for him." And I noticed that EVERYBODY was contributing and I felt so proud of my fellow Hashers for looking out for the guy. Finally, at a later Hash, I refused to loan him any money. It was obvious that all the help I was giving really wasn't helping him. His answer was to blacklist me at the beer cooler. I've got his number now.

I rebuilt my house, I bought myself a new pickup, got the old lady, sorry my young wife, some nice diamonds, but I worked hard for two years as Hash Cash!

Yeah, we have this nice bonussystem in CR-HHH! post-29230-1271432503.gif

Never look down on a hard working man!

My dream is to be the Hash Beer here in CR-HHH! post-29230-1271432582.gif

See you!

:D:):D

About the Thai Visa BBQ thing.

George, the owner has put on this event in Bangkok and Chiang Mai for the last few years.

I think they did do one once in another locale near Isan; I think it was a light turnout.

It doesn't have so much to do with the forum sponsors in a particular area- it is more about how many members there are.

Believe it or not, Chiang Mai has more members and traffic (web hits) than anywhere except the Big Mango.

It's just G's way of giving something back to the members.

Anyone is welcome to attend the CM party- we have had people travel up from the far south, from Phuket, and lots of people every year travel up from BKK and Patts and Isan.

I don't know when the next one is scheduled. But CM is only an hour or so drive away.....:)

I don't know when the next one is scheduled. But CM is only an hour or so drive away.....:D

Well, we are not that thirsty here in CR that we go 185 km/hour for a beer!

But you are welcome to the Hash young Griffith!

I buy you the beer!

:):D:D

Cheers,

Biff

Sorry to hear you won't make it. Maybe next time.

I'm all for the AC stuff. Whenever it gets figured out, I'll show up.

If you ever want to stop by the house here, then do. We are on the Google map and easy to find. Just give me a heads-up and I'll PM you with the info. We always have a fresh bucket of ice, hot coffee and usually, some Pepsi Max on hand.

Thanks very much, I may well do that :)

Yes Jubby, I love you too :D , I'm just not down with some of what you have gotten up to lately and you know that. It was much easier to be around you and the family before.

The Hash in this heat and pollution is not on my list of healthy things to do. So I won't be there if that is a relief to some. :)

I may be a snob who doesn't care to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator or reward and encourage mediocrity. Yes, I prefer to be around people I like rather than people I simply tolerate. I dare say, you would be hard pressed to tell, which was which, at a social gathering. I just would not go out of my way to see that person again. A simple form of non confrontational avoidance.

One thing I don't do is resort to personal attack or even retribution. My main nemesis would be an easy target but I resist all temptation to stoop to his level and instead wish him good luck.

I applaud your intent but I think you slipped a little in your ideals with one of your comments. One can never be TOO gracious on a forum such as this. Yes to humor.irony, sattire, anecdotes, etc. No to personal negatives. MY HUMBLE OPINION

Hope to meet you one day as I get accused of the same things.

I don't know when the next one is scheduled. But CM is only an hour or so drive away..... :D

Well, we are not that thirsty here in CR that we go 185 km/hour for a beer!

But you are welcome to the Hash young Griffith!

I buy you the beer!

:):D:D

And I'll buy you the next one, sven :D:D:D

I rebuilt my house, I bought myself a new pickup, got the old lady, sorry my young wife, some nice diamonds, but I worked hard for two years as Hash Cash!

Yeah, we have this nice bonussystem in CR-HHH! post-29230-1271432503.gif

Never look down on a hard working man!

My dream is to be the Hash Beer here in CR-HHH! post-29230-1271432582.gif

See you!

Could someone tell me the orgins of HHH. Short answer. Thank You!

:D:):D

I was wondering why I was acheing last night. All over, everywhere. I guess it must have been the Hash. Enjoyable at the time but I clearly need to do more excercise. So its excercise for me, a chat with a few people and its good for the Kids to get out of the Village and Mix too.

I've been thinking about this Friends thing quite a lot the last few days. maybe its what Limbo would refer to as Mental Masturbation.

I was thinking very hard yesterday, relaxing by myself with a beer whilst a group of Tourist Thais where chewing the fat on the next table.

after 15 years as a tourist and semi expat I couldn't think of any flang who I had met here that I disliked , Sh*t I was trying really hard, but nope not a single one. now I know a few who dislike me but I tend to think thats there problem not mine. one of them seems to dislike almost everyone so I'm in good company. I nodded to a few people in Big C just before the Hash and they nodded back and smiled. I even said a few words to one guy. I don't have a lot to say generally in real life, but it would seem I can get on with most people and I must like people maybe.

As for friends I only have perhaps one friend here; A guy I met first on ThaiVisa , seemed to hit it off straight way. It turns out he's from almost the same village back home, although from a different decade, but I guess he understands me better than most. The subtle differences in Humour and Outlook. We both left home in our teens and lived away for a few decades also which has probably broadened our outlook and our ability to mix. Everyone else seems to be an aqaintance , probably mispelled I know.

Anyway, I've got wood to chop so good luck with your friendships and don't assume everyones unfriendly :)

Where most of us are polite and gracious enough in public encounters, we all have slightly different expectations of those we choose to call friends.

Take for example my latest friend. Intelligent, articulate, charming, positive, worldly, current, witty and artful sense of humor, excellent conversationalist able to debate complicated subjects and tolerant of my being a member of TV. There was an audible groan and pained expression when I let it slip, however.

So far I have had greater success finding friends outside of TV, with a few notable exceptions. I'm not giving up, however, as there are new people showing up all the time.

Even without an abundance shared interests or even proximity, it is still nice to bump into people you know when traveling that 55 kilometers to town once or twice a week. A pleasant smile of recognition and a warm greeting, can and does, make the trip that much more enjoyable.

Yes Jubby, I love you too :D , I'm just not down with some of what you have gotten up to lately and you know that. It was much easier to be around you and the family before.

The Hash in this heat and pollution is not on my list of healthy things to do. So I won't be there if that is a relief to some. :)

I may be a snob who doesn't care to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator or reward and encourage mediocrity. Yes, I prefer to be around people I like rather than people I simply tolerate. I dare say, you would be hard pressed to tell, which was which, at a social gathering. I just would not go out of my way to see that person again. A simple form of non confrontational avoidance.

One thing I don't do is resort to personal attack or even retribution. My main nemesis would be an easy target but I resist all temptation to stoop to his level and instead wish him good luck.

I applaud your intent but I think you slipped a little in your ideals with one of your comments. One can never be TOO gracious on a forum such as this. Yes to humor.irony, sattire, anecdotes, etc. No to personal negatives. MY HUMBLE OPINION

Hope to meet you one day as I get accused of the same things.

Sorry for the tardy reply. Your observation of my slip was indeed correct. I too hope we cross paths one day.

Where most of us are polite and gracious enough in public encounters, we all have slightly different expectations of those we choose to call friends.

Take for example my latest friend. Intelligent, articulate, charming, positive, worldly, current, witty and artful sense of humor, excellent conversationalist able to debate complicated subjects and tolerant of my being a member of TV. There was an audible groan and pained expression when I let it slip, however.

So far I have had greater success finding friends outside of TV, with a few notable exceptions. I'm not giving up, however, as there are new people showing up all the time.

Even without an abundance shared interests or even proximity, it is still nice to bump into people you know when traveling that 55 kilometers to town once or twice a week. A pleasant smile of recognition and a warm greeting, can and does, make the trip that much more enjoyable.

Did you forget to mention Beautiful ? :D . I can see him/her being tolerant of you being a member of TV just swung it. Why don't you both make Babies together ; improve the Gene pool for the rest of Humanity.

Tell us more about the pained expression and Audible groan :)

Edited by jubby

• 1 month later...

I met someone new at BigC the other day. One of the silent majority, out there in the Rai, who don't seem to post on our illustrious forum. Cleaver fellow indeed, I might add. After the briefest of encounters, he managed to hunt me down on Thai Visa.

On my infrequent trips to town, as a social exercise, I try to come up with a good pick-up line or icebreaker, and try it out on an unsuspecting farang. More often than not it works. Some people are just shy and reluctant to make the first move. It is important that it doesn't come off as over rehearsed, however. On the other hand one does need to display more social graces than that guy who shoves his name card into the hand of every farang he sees.

Anyway, nothing was said about online activities at all, yet he found his way to my profile page. Obviously he has been paying attention in class. That is more than I can say for many of the regular posters here. I have seen him at the bottom of the page the last couple of days, so perhaps he is getting up the courage to say hello.

Then again, once his wife gives birth later this month, he may disappear completely. :)

I met someone new at BigC the other day. One of the silent majority, out there in the Rai, who don't seem to post on our illustrious forum. Cleaver fellow indeed, I might add. After the briefest of encounters, he managed to hunt me down on Thai Visa.

On my infrequent trips to town, as a social exercise, I try to come up with a good pick-up line or icebreaker, and try it out on an unsuspecting farang. More often than not it works. Some people are just shy and reluctant to make the first move. It is important that it doesn't come off as over rehearsed, however. On the other hand one does need to display more social graces than that guy who shoves his name card into the hand of every farang he sees.

Anyway, nothing was said about online activities at all, yet he found his way to my profile page. Obviously he has been paying attention in class. That is more than I can say for many of the regular posters here. I have seen him at the bottom of the page the last couple of days, so perhaps he is getting up the courage to say hello.

Then again, once his wife gives birth later this month, he may disappear completely. :)

Ok I will take the bait. Hello all, I have been lurking in the background for a while, watching and listening. Some of you guys circle and jab like a couple of boxers but most of it is just good fun. I enjoy reading the banter that goes back and forth.

Village Farang, you give me too much credit. Most folks with heads like ours are wearing orange robes. Thats what gave you away. Although I thought you would be shorter. Funny you should mention it but I got another name card that very day. it would be better if he introduced himself and gave me a 30 second commercial about what he offers.

I have been planning on going to a hash or 2 and a Chiang Rai United game after the baby is born, so no I wont dissapear. Maybe I will run into one of you on the golf course.

A virtual Margaritaville, combined with a Charles Dickens novel....never boring in the Rai.

Welcome!

Just call me a fisher of men. Hey mcgriffith, do I get any browny points for this bait and hook job? Welcome to the Margaritaville melee, PhilB. :)

I have been planning on going to a hash or 2 and a .......

Welcome to the Hash!

For the moment I am a quite popular person at the Hash because I am the Hash Beer. Unfortunately only for short time! :)

Next Hash will be June 19th at 16.00!

See you there if not before !

Met a few new faces at the Expat Club meeting this morning. Didn't get around to everyone I wanted to, nor did I manage to avoid everyone I would have liked to. The speaker was a bit too generic for my taste but what else should one expect from a diplomat.

If you are new to the Rai, these meetings do provide an opportunity to meet new friends, in accordance with the topic of this thread, however. Sober, in the light of day and air-conditioned, if that makes any difference. :D

On balance I think I enjoyed coffee at Le Petit afterwards more. :)

Oh I forgot about that one.

I've not been to one yet. Is it well attended ?

Reportedly there were 12 in attendance last month, with no speaker. There were more like 30 today, I would guess. Top US consular from Chiang Mai was the speaker. Perhaps that upped the head count today.