BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
svenivan

Where To Meet New Friends ?

To broaden the topic beyond the Hash, how about listing some of the other options. I have heard there is a book club. We receive invitations to art exhibitions but have never been. There is a new expat club that meets on the first Saturday of the month. I have met people at Doi Chang and BigC. Have heard that Sunday Brunch at the Meridian can be nice. If you like football there is always the local team to gather around. Anything I have missed? Surely there is more.

So there we have it folks. something for everyone.

And If your wifes more interesting than the others and speaks perfect central Thai rather than some other dialect or english for that matter she can hang around at the back for a stimulating conversation with the one and only .... VF :)

I'll be somewhere in the middle with the lower classes and other pondlife :D

Sorry folks... Couldn't resist it. :D

Edited by jubby

To broaden the topic beyond the Hash, how about listing some of the other options. I have heard there is a book club. We receive invitations to art exhibitions but have never been. There is a new expat club that meets on the first Saturday of the month. I have met people at Doi Chang and BigC. Have heard that Sunday Brunch at the Meridian can be nice. If you like football there is always the local team to gather around. Anything I have missed? Surely there is more.

I would second the idea of an informal get together in an AC environment. Having a bit of a respiratory problem, in this heat, limits my desire to melt with or without exersize. Would definately be more interesting to my Thai partner as well.

There has to be some places that would be ideal. But I can't think of any right now. I really don't get out and about too much so I'm sure there are lots of places that I am unaware of. Another idea: There are several hotels that allow the public to pay and use the swimming pool and some other facilities. Maybe if a Hash is too hot for some, an afternoon at the pool would fit the bill. That is something that the kids could enjoy as well, if folks have a hard time getting out without taking the kids. (I'm talking about jubby here, of course. Somehow, I just can't picture him having much fun without that bunch.) Surely one of those places has an attached coffee shop and a place to buy "other drinks" for those that wish to have them.

Other ideas include any water-falls in the area that have places to swim or stay cool.

Lots of other options for the thinking/traveling crowd.

And maybe, the Hash group would want to attend as well, in order to meet new friends and recruit new members. In other words, maybe we need to pool our resources. Is it "the more, the merrier" or TV CR forum folks only?

Thoughts? Ideas? Arguments? Outrage? Indignation?

C'mon, let me have it. I can handle it.

Edited by kandahar

So there we have it folks. something for everyone.

And If your wifes more interesting than the others and speaks perfect central Thai rather than some other dialect or english for that matter she can hang around at the back for a stimulating conversation with the one and only .... VF :)

I'll be somewhere in the middle with the lower classes and other pondlife :D

Sorry folks... Couldn't resist it. :D

You know, jubby, you ought to give the guy a break. Personally, I give him a lot of credit. It isn't everyone that has the guts to live near expensive, suicidal chickens. And even when those chickens exit this world on his watch, he doesn't complain. He just starts typing the story and it gets posted here. I tend to see it more as an obituary or memorial than grumbling on his part.

Don't worry about me mate. I have no probs getting out without the Kids. Luckily they like School. I'm probably one of the easiest to accomodate.

Be it Bar, Coffee shop , gogo bar or brunch at the meridian or just about anywhere else. Quite a few flangs go the Rimkok to swim and generally chill out and with Kids this time of year.

I'm not that convinced that we're all really social animals though :) I don't get to town much these days, partly because of the distance, also trying to tighten my belt financially and also because some of the flangs I've been met recently seem to be nice guys and then turn out to be psychopaths :D I suppose I'm getting a little bit selectively reclusive :D

I suppose Ideally Thaivisa could organise one off there famous BBQ's up here. Everyone likes barbeques surely with a vegetarian option.

maybe Limbo or Mac whatsisname could shed some light on why we don't seem to haveybe because theres so few of us or something. Clearly some but not all are involved in some of the other activities mentioned and were free to join in I would think.

You know, jubby, you ought to give the guy a break. Personally, I give him a lot of credit. It isn't everyone that has the guts to live near expensive, suicidal chickens. And even when those chickens exit this world on his watch, he doesn't complain. He just starts typing the story and it gets posted here. I tend to see it more as an obituary or memorial than grumbling on his part.

He's a Snob mate :D . Nothing more , nothing less . I've been called worse and so has he.

And I do enjoy it when he puts his foot or should I say mouth in it. its one of those british things he doesn't understand which makes it even funnier.

And I happen to like the guy so surely its not an Issue. :)

Don't worry about me mate. I have no probs getting out without the Kids. Luckily they like School. I'm probably one of the easiest to accomodate.

Be it Bar, Coffee shop , gogo bar or brunch at the meridian or just about anywhere else. Quite a few flangs go the Rimkok to swim and generally chill out and with Kids this time of year.

I'm not that convinced that we're all really social animals though :) I don't get to town much these days, partly because of the distance, also trying to tighten my belt financially and also because some of the flangs I've been met recently seem to be nice guys and then turn out to be psychopaths :D I suppose I'm getting a little bit selectively reclusive :D

I suppose Ideally Thaivisa could organise one off there famous BBQ's up here. Everyone likes barbeques surely with a vegetarian option.

maybe Limbo or Mac whatsisname could shed some light on why we don't seem to haveybe because theres so few of us or something. Clearly some but not all are involved in some of the other activities mentioned and were free to join in I would think.

I have a feeling you're right: We aren't all that social. If we were, we wouldn't be in CR. I told you already, I'm not social. But I'll get over it for a day. It won't kill me and I've done it before.

I wouldn't count on TV for a BBQ. I think we're pretty short on sponsors here. Money, money, money.

Concerning VF, it isn't an issue. He takes care of himself quite well. Truly, I was just enjoying reminding him of his suicidal chicken adventures.

Looks like I'll be accompanied by one good friend that isn't a part of the forum and has never been to the Hash. Nice fella. His Thai wife will be attending also. My wife may make it yet. She's shuffling schedules right now.

So, here's a challenge. Bring at least one friend. Let's shake up the CR hash this month.

It's only a one time deal and lots of you have been thinking about it for a long time. Do it tomorrow. C'mon folks, spend one day this year with some really good folks out on the trails in the bush.

Yes Jubby, I love you too :D , I'm just not down with some of what you have gotten up to lately and you know that. It was much easier to be around you and the family before.

The Hash in this heat and pollution is not on my list of healthy things to do. So I won't be there if that is a relief to some. :)

I may be a snob who doesn't care to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator or reward and encourage mediocrity. Yes, I prefer to be around people I like rather than people I simply tolerate. I dare say, you would be hard pressed to tell, which was which, at a social gathering. I just would not go out of my way to see that person again. A simple form of non confrontational avoidance.

One thing I don't do is resort to personal attack or even retribution. My main nemesis would be an easy target but I resist all temptation to stoop to his level and instead wish him good luck.

Yes Jubby, I love you too :D , I'm just not down with some of what you have gotten up to lately and you know that. It was much easier to be around you and the family before.

The Hash in this heat and pollution is not on my list of healthy things to do. So I won't be there if that is a relief to some. :)

I may be a snob who doesn't care to dumb things down to the lowest common denominator or reward and encourage mediocrity. Yes, I prefer to be around people I like rather than people I simply tolerate. I dare say, you would be hard pressed to tell, which was which, at a social gathering. I just would not go out of my way to see that person again. A simple form of non confrontational avoidance.

One thing I don't do is resort to personal attack or even retribution. My main nemesis would be an easy target but I resist all temptation to stoop to his level and instead wish him good luck.

I can explain the Ladyboys VF. Honestly I can. :D ............. :D

No seriously VF , I'm sure no ones really a nemesis , why not leave out the odd word which could be taken the wrong way and we can all get along online. to speak to anyone in the real world is entirely up t a try.

Seem to be losing words myself. meant to say give it a try. Anyway, Thunder further northeast has taken out some power supply at a freinds.

Its pretty windy here and the thais are burning , all signs of rain. fingers crossed it'll be cooler tommorrow at the Hash.

No seriously VF ... why not leave out the odd word which could be taken the wrong way and we can all get along online.

Wow, I thought you guys were all supposed to be so thick skinned and into dark humor. Why all this sensitivity when it comes to what I say? :) I don't see that I am the problem here. :D

No seriously VF ... why not leave out the odd word which could be taken the wrong way and we can all get along online.

Wow, I thought you guys were all supposed to be so thick skinned and into dark humor. Why all this sensitivity when it comes to what I say? :) I don't see that I am the problem here. :D

I'm not sensitive VF. just trying to help but I didn't expect you to see it. No probs. Its all good . Keep on Keeping on.

I'm not sensitive VF. just trying to help but I didn't expect you to see it. No probs. Its all good . Keep on Keeping on.

I understand you are trying to help but I'm already doing my part here and my restraint is exemplary. I just don't agree that the whole problem can be laid at my door.