Where To Meet New Friends ?

svenivan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit I'm a bit saddened by a seemingly futile search for company by some people.

When I moved to where I live now I knew that a certain degree of isolation would come with the package. But I've always enjoyed my own company and I had a decent woman who comes as close to understanding me as anyone has. (And a few have tried, trust me).

So I was happy with my situation for quite a while, then people started a turning upon my doorstep. I met one or two in town and still do but very rarely. I even tried a larger social gathering but my dog enjoyed it more than me, no reflection on the other people, they were great; my social skills, never good in groups anyway, have got rusty.

We have chosen to live in a country where most of us struggle with the language if we speak it at all, a social occasion with neighbours can be trying, particularly if you don't drink any more.

Golf is a great idea, you can socially interact with other players just as much as you want to. Some of the most unsociable people I know play golf.

I can't be bothered though, I refuse to let a little white ball dictate to me and can't be bothered improving my skills to conquer it.

So to the friend seekers out there I can only say, be patient, stick with ThaiVisa and they will come.

I must admit I'm a bit saddened by a seemingly futile search for company by some people.

When I moved to where I live now I knew that a certain degree of isolation would come with the package. But I've always enjoyed my own company and I had a decent woman who comes as close to understanding me as anyone has. (And a few have tried, trust me).

So I was happy with my situation for quite a while, then people started a turning upon my doorstep. I met one or two in town and still do but very rarely. I even tried a larger social gathering but my dog enjoyed it more than me, no reflection on the other people, they were great; my social skills, never good in groups anyway, have got rusty.

We have chosen to live in a country where most of us struggle with the language if we speak it at all, a social occasion with neighbours can be trying, particularly if you don't drink any more.

Golf is a great idea, you can socially interact with other players just as much as you want to. Some of the most unsociable people I know play golf.

I can't be bothered though, I refuse to let a little white ball dictate to me and can't be bothered improving my skills to conquer it.

So to the friend seekers out there I can only say, be patient, stick with ThaiVisa and they will come.

Maybe they try too hard. I dunno. I have folks turning up here all the time. Most are unannounced and all are welcome, announced or not. I stop what I'm doing, make some coffee or get the ice bucket.

I guess if anyone is out to meet friends, they just need to spend a little time dropping in on people and seeing if they "fit".

Scea, pm your your details and I'll drop by and see if I can wrangle a free cup of coffee out of you. I am very unsocial and not at all good in crowds. But you and I can just sit and watch that dog without saying a word until the goodbyes.

People who stop by here don't know I am unsocial. I think they assume that since I am mouthy on the forum, I am mouthy always. But since they are here anyway, I am forced a little further from my shell each time. The visits have done me a lot of good and I look forward to them now. Nobody ever stays too long and often, we all end up going out for lunch or dinner. The wife has gotten quite a kick out of meeting the other wives out there as well.

Yeah I know Will27 B)

Just thought it was quite a funny story and sort of one extreme . I was only going to stay 20 mins anyway. I have a knack of knowing when I've outstayed my welcome. Not everyone has .

When I usually see him , he's got a tinny in his hand , and usually waves , so I thought well why not stop by. I don't generaly drink alone so obviously got the wrong signals. maybe it was the finger not a wave .

I don't tend to pop in generally so no worries mate. You've got to be careful out there ;)

HE may have been busy. When I am on the computer I may be talking to people I know through skype or doing online courses which I do. At these times I would do the same as him if you had not made arangements. Like him I wave at people who I know and value talking to them but not all times are convenient.

So it WAS you the other day Harrry :whistling:

I suspect quite a few of our social Skills are rusty or even perceived as rude. We are what we are, and At our ages, we're not going to change.

Long gone are the days when I used to go call for someone, ask them if they're playing out :lol:

I will have a chat with anyone about anything, but saying that I'm not particularly good in groups and I'm not particularly looking for friends either. Sh&t, Friendships take a lot of working on :D , I've lost so many friends because I was too busy doing nothing, to keep in touch. Thats life.

Aquaintences are easier.

I suspect quite a few of our social Skills are rusty or even perceived as rude. We are what we are, and At our ages, we're not going to change.

Long gone are the days when I used to go call for someone, ask them if they're playing out :lol:

I will have a chat with anyone about anything, but saying that I'm not particularly good in groups and I'm not particularly looking for friends either. Sh&t, Friendships take a lot of working on :D , I've lost so many friends because I was too busy doing nothing, to keep in touch. Thats life.

Aquaintences are easier.

No it wasn't me////noone ever knocks on our door :huh:

Aquaintences are easier.

Funny you should say that, I saw VillageFarang in Big C today and he said he had resigned himself to never having any friends.

I nearly stayed to talk to him for a while but unfortunately I had to go, Monday nights I cut my toenails. B)

Edited by sceadugenga

I think I reached my monthly quota of farang interaction, in just this one morning. Took the truck in for the three year checkup and a friend picked us up to go eat. Then he drove us to BigC where we bumped into a mutual friend with his wife and baby in S&P.

A medical emergency with our friend's dog had him rushing home to see about the dog and comfort the wife. If it had been anyone else I would have suspected that he was just trying to get out of paying the bill. ;)

Upstairs on the way to checkout I spotted Scea pretending to shop, when I suspect he was really sampling the eye-candy on display. ;) On the other side of checkout we bumped into PhilB with his lovely wife and newborn. By the way, congrats on being a new dad! :D

PhipB gave us a ride back to Toyota, being the gentleman and scholar that his is, and didn't even make us sit in the bed of the truck. ;)

Sometimes it isn't about high-maintenance relationships but just being able to bump into people you know when you are out and about. A smile and friendly greeting just goes so much further than a blank stare or a scowl. :)

Gonna scout out a new prospective Hash trail Thursday eve with Soap. The place is near Don's. The time is 16:45 or 4:45 P.M. Good chance for a visit, a walk or to learn how to lay out a trail. If anyone else wants to go, let me know. An afternoon/evening with Soap is always fun. A great opportunity for future Hares. But even if you aren't a Hasher, it will be a good time to get out and see some country during a slow walk.

Edited by kandahar

Thanks VF and he will be the last one. You would think having three kids of my own at least one would look like me. Then again it might be for the best.

You give me too much credit. I didnt make you ride in the back because someone might have see you. :whistling:

Edited by PhilB

• 6 months later...

Not being a member, I don’t have details of the meeting but we are thinking of trying out the Expat Club again tomorrow morning at the Inn Come Hotel. Haven’t been to one for several months so perhaps it is time to give it another try.

If you haven’t been before, why not give it a go tomorrow morning. :)

So apparently The British Honorary Consul will be talking about the operation of the British Consulate in Chiang Mai and Human Trafficking and ongoing attempts to prevent it. He is an interesting character and sure to give a good presentation.

Anyway, two topic that I am sure many of you are interested in. :whistling:B)