Butter

sharonb

VillaMarket has some very good imported butter from Germany, 250g/100Baht per pack.

post-2733-1271484438.jpg

Gerd

Most Foodland (and even TOPS for that matter) also have good butter imported from other countries. One thing for sure is that I would never advise to buy butter in 5 Kg box (unless you run a restaurant selling butter fried food). Good fresh butter taste good, but expired good butter taste bad no matter how good it was before. Sometimes the savings are just not worth it.

I have seen 'Lurpak' (Danish) butter in quite a few places. I prefer slightly salty butter and even the "slightly salted" Lurpak is not quite salty enough for me. In the UK the Australian butters always had a great salty/creamy taste (Anchor ?).

The locally produced butter, whether salted or unsalted, just tastes of 'fat' to me ... not "buttery" at all.

^I'ts great to hear from fellow butter lovers.

What a wonderful natural substance, which many have been taught to fear by the food-nazi 'experts.'

Better than that awful industrial margarine.

Lightly grilled or steamed asparagus, a big nob of butter on top and some salt and pepper ... heaven!

Thanks everyone

I have tried the local butter "orchid" and isn't tasty

will try the german butter

any place that sells fresh butter?

fresh butter with sea salt on a slice of toast is heavenly and a cup of coffee or tea to go with it

or toast with butter and marmalade will do

Some time back I asked on here why the local butter has such a strange taste, say compared to butter in UK but got no replies. Probably the 'Orchid' brand referred to above.

Does anyone know why?

Butter is one of the things I look forward to most when go back home.

I will have a look at these imported butters. How does the price compare to buying local brand or butter back home? Is there a big premium?

OK, I see the Lurpak 250g (mentioned in post 4) is £1.38 (Aprrox B70) at Sainsburys UK online.

How much here? Of course the poor xchange rate (30% down on historical values) does not help!

Edited by Ossies

OK, I see the Lurpak 250g (mentioned in post 4) is £1.38 (Aprrox B70) at Sainsburys UK online.

How much here? Of course the poor xchange rate (30% down on historical values) does not help!

The localbutter 'Orchid' is B77

Lurpak is B175

Lots of difference

^^

I agree that this is very good butter.

BTW, this is actually a "cultured" butter.

Their salted version is not "cultured"

For those who don't know, cultured butter has the same "cultures" as yoghurt. ( I'm too lazy to look up the real multi-syllable word).

Some time back I asked on here why the local butter has such a strange taste, say compared to butter in UK but got no replies. Probably the 'Orchid' brand referred to above.

Does anyone know why?

Butter is one of the things I look forward to most when go back home.

I will have a look at these imported butters. How does the price compare to buying local brand or butter back home? Is there a big premium?

I suspect it may have something to do with the cows and there diet. Am no butter expert but recall many years ago being very impressed with the taste in Kenya.