Three Die After Eating Raw Boar Meat

webfact

Three die after eating raw boar meat

By Pratheep Nanthaparp

The Nation on Sunday

LAMPANG: -- Two men and a woman in Lampang's Wang Nua district have died after eating raw boar meat, while four patients were under hospital surveillance for swine strep disease, an official said yesterday.

Dr Sirichai Pataranupa, provincial public health chief, said the villagers - all relatives - had reportedly eaten raw meat together after capturing two wild boars in the forest.

Ban Huai Nam residents Thongdee Jamtham, 47, and Soi Khanthima, 53, died on Thursday while one unnamed male relative succumbed yesterday to streptococcus suis at Wang Nua Hospital, he said.

A rapid-response medical team was dispatched to the area to conduct physical examinations on those at risk especially the victims' families and relatives.

The disease, which causes meningitis and pneumonia in pigs, could infect humans who eat or handle contaminated hogs. The bacteria spread fast through the blood stream and produce high fever.

The pathogen would go on to damage the nervous system, leading to partial blindness and deafness and ultimately death, he said.

All symptoms transpire within two to three days, he added.

Lampang has seen up to two deaths from swine bacteria infections per year, mostly from ingesting uncooked pork, Sirichai said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-18

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

There is something of an urban myth growing in the outskirts of San Kampeign,

two or three people in the last year within a mile radius have gone to bed with a headache... and never woken up.

Not old, middle aged.

I would ask my wife what caused it this time, but she will undoubtedly give me the usual response: "Mai Lu!"

Suprisingly, my wife have a rough idea what happened in this case, i dont knwo about the other wo cases, although I remember one woman had Typhoid fever a few years back..

The poor chap concerned had large amounts of 'water' in his abdomen... I don't know what that indicates.