Page Of Remembrance

Limbo

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1271558967_thumb.jpg

In Memoriam

The Dutchman that stopped riding is finally re-united with his horses.

Now he might well wish to mount them again.

Cor has never forgotten the horses that once brought him fame. He had five big pictures

of them at the walls of his Chiang Rai home. None of these pictures showed a saddle and

on none of them you would see a rider. In his thoughts Cor wasn’t sitting on their backs

anymore; He walked next to them.

Cor’s relationship with horses was full of love and drama.

Being an excellent horseman he was invited to fulfill his conscription at the Royal Stables

in The Hague. The greatest height was the yearly ride on the third Tuesday of September :

Accompanying the Golden Carriage of Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands on its way

to parliament.

Its greatest low was the day that he had to ride to the slaughterhouse of The Haque and pick

up the tail of one of the horses under his care. It was traditional protocol that this should be

done on horseback. For him it was a ghost ride: A lonely rider crossing right through town with

a horse tail in his saddle bag and his eyes full of tears. He still considers it a miracle that he

managed to reach the stables without accident. “It was as if I was riding in a dream”, he told

me once, “I couldn’t see, my heart was broken”.

Later on Cor won almost every jumping competition in which he participated and for two years

he was Dutch Master. Soon he was invited to ride for the bigger European stables, mainly in

Germany and Italy. He entered a different world, a world in which love for horses seemed to

be a weakness. He was enabled to ride top-horses, but his love for them slowly but sure put

an end to his career.

The crown caps under the saddle might have hurt Cor more than the horses. The crying of the

horses during the beatings the nights before the tournaments finally tore his soul apart.

The day came that Cor put all the cups he had won in the back of his car and brought them to

the home for elderly horses in the dunes at Scheveningen.

He returned home, put all his medals in a bag, walked three blocks far away and dropped them

in a garbage can. After that day he never mounted a horse again.

My thoughts go to his father, now about 85 years old, who once survived the concentration

camp Auschwitz and now has to endure the sad fate of surviving his only son.

Cor was 58 years old when he passed away last week. May he rest in peace.

L.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-1271559029_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

One guy that I miss is Brian in Baan Bua Guesthouse.

He was a special guy, fun to talk to with his very Brittish sarcastic type of humour.

I always adviced friends to stay in Baan Bua and everyone was very satified.

Brian was the guy that chatted with all the guest and got them talking with each other.

Brian RIP!

:):D:D

• Haha 1

One guy that I miss is Brian in Baan Bua Guesthouse.

He was a special guy, fun to talk to with his very Brittish sarcastic type of humour.

I always adviced friends to stay in Baan Bua and everyone was very satified.

Brian was the guy that chatted with all the guest and got them talking with each other.

Brian RIP!

:):D:D

yeah, he was fun to talk to. It was more of a ' Very Paranoid British sarcastic type of humour', if I can recall.

Always had a Mug of tea in his hand full of Leo so the Customers wouldn't notice but they obviously did. I do miss him and his conspiracy Theories :D

I doubt he's resting in Peace. he's probably still at Ban Bua, trying to kick the staff into shape :D

I met Brian when I went to the Rai a while ago, about a month before he passed away.

He had no rooms available, but while he watered the garden at Baan Bua, he engaged me in conversation.

Gave me some recommendations for alternative rooms, talked about the weather, motorbikes, touring on same, etc.

I was sorry to see him go, so soon after I had met him.

He was my age when I met him.

RIP, Brian.

Just as a gentle reminder....

When posters have mentioned someone who has left us, it is more a time for celebration and recognition of the positive things in the deceased's life on this forum thread.

We can laugh, cry, weep and sing about the frailities and deficits, beauty and strengths of the departed, at a traditional Irish Wake.

Lamentably many of which I have attended.

I always try to give the utmost respect to anyone who has left us, here.

Even if they were a stranger to me.

Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Just heard that a nice guy named Allen, with a house on the 1020 between Thoeng and Chiang Khong, died recently. Heard this from a mutual friend. Anyone who knew him, would be aware that he had not been in the best of health. Just thought I would pass on the bad news, if you hadn't heard.

• 4 weeks later...

In Memoriam

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-066183500 1285212097_thumb.jpg

Some people hold their jar of life couragely high and greatly enjoy

gulping down its content. And Jacques, one of the most flamboyant and

outspoken expats of Chiang Rai, was one of them.

With a certainly becoming pride he was looking forward to celebrate

his 70th birthday in January. A milestone; It would have been the cork

on the bottle holding the fulfillment of his life. He was ready for it.

He may be forgiven for leaving us four months earlier.

I met him a couple of days before he passed away.

He was sitting in a little establishment at the Yedyod Road, enjoying

an evening beer. The conversation with the lady sitting next to him

was probably not what you would call splendid, so he was really

happy to see me showing up.

Contrary to his usual presentation he spoke little and soft.

As if he had realized that there was nothing to add anymore to

everything that had been said already. Words seemed to have become

dust to him, useless to spread.

He seemed to be ‘waiting for Godot’, or for that invisible bus, knowing

that the moment of depart had come. Like an actor that stays on stage

for a while after the curtains have fallen.

It must have been seventeen years ago that his old friend Cor in

in ‘De Ouden Eik’, the tavern in The Hague where Jacques was standing

behind the bar one evening a week, informed him that they were

going to Thailand.

“I am not going to Thailand” he responded “I don’t even know where it is!”

Cor told him that it was absolutely not necessary to know as the only

thing to be done was to go to Amsterdam Airport. One week later the

‘Blues Brothers’ of The Hague took the plane, not knowing that they were

going to spend the rest of their lives in Chiang Rai.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .post-6305-023819800 1285212050_thumb.jpg

Jacques was corporal in the Dutch Air force. One of his responsibilities

was the management of the bar at an air force base close to The Hague.

But he was more than that. He was the kind of person that keeps strictly

hierarchical organizations from coming to a grinding halt by adding the

grease that harmonizes the parts and levels.

He was the jack-of-all-trades that kept things going smooth. He went on

but if necessary also under the radar to help his colleagues.

And he was appreciated for it:

When Jacques was going to enjoy his early pension a big party was given.

Not less than four air force generals came to pay respect to this corporal, the

head chaplain of the Dutch Army that later would become bishop was there,

the cleaning and administrative staff and the officers and men, all wondering

how life at the base would be ‘after Corporal Jacques’.

And now also for us this moment has come.

Friend or foe, to everybody of us the disappearance of Jacques will leave a vacuum.

He will be remembered by all who knew him.

Thank you Jacques, for the time you spent with us before you finally spread out

your own wings. Happy landing!

L.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . post-6305-037612200 1285212134_thumb.jpg

Nice words indeed Limbo,i also crossed paths with Jacques and didn'r realize it,i cant even remember exactly when but i used to frequent Yedyot Rd,mainly the Cat Bar or The coconut Bar and (certainly this year) i remember him,the smile the nod and his pleasent manor did kinda stand out so sad to here he has passed on,condolences to all family and friends.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

just heard the very sad news that one of my neighbours in Thailand died last night.

Pi Lai was a lovely man, always smiling and happy, willing to help anyone with anything. He liked to practice his English with me and would try to teach me some Laos and Thai. When he discovered that I had no brothers or sisters, he said "Ok now you have one, Pi Lai!"

He was only about 35 years old and leaves behind a wife and 14 year old son. He died suddenly after complaining of a headache. He went to sleep and never woke up again!

I will always remember him, he brought happiness and laughter to many people's lives.

post-86914-0-62392300-1300281568_thumb.j

คิดถึงน้องชายแสนดี

just heard the very sad news that one of my neighbours in Thailand died last night.

Pi Lai was a lovely man, always smiling and happy, willing to help anyone with anything. He liked to practice his English with me and would try to teach me some Laos and Thai. When he discovered that I had no brothers or sisters, he said "Ok now you have one, Pi Lai!"

He was only about 35 years old and leaves behind a wife and 14 year old son. He died suddenly after complaining of a headache. He went to sleep and never woke up again!

I will always remember him, he brought happiness and laughter to many people's lives.

post-86914-0-62392300-1300281568_thumb.j

คิดถึงน้องชายแสนดี

Sad news Biff you have my sympathy, i know how it is you you lose a close friend.

Mr Albert Radford, my neighbour and a Chiang Rai resident of the past ten years passed away recently in the UK.

Albert was a regular around the city night-life with his wife Phin and could usually be seen sitting quietly in a corner just taking in what was going on around him.

He didn't have a lot to say but I never heard him utter an unkind word about anyone.

Sadly missed by his friends here, Chiang Mai and Pattaya.

RIP Albert.

IMG_0930.JPG

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A visitor to the house yesterday told us that Ian, the Husqvarna dealer down Phayao way passed away last month. Last time I saw him he was excited about an all expense paid trip to Sweden for being the #1 seller in Thailand. Sadly I don’t think he got to make the trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this ring any bells?

From the Morris (Illinois) Daily News

Mr. John Nelson Bermel, 70, of Chiang Rai, Thailand, and formerly of Newark and Morris, died Friday, Oct. 21, 2011, in Thailand.

John was born Nov. 17, 1941. He was a graduate of Newark High School.

Survivors include his sister, Joyce, and son, Blake of Texas.

• 1 month later...

The sad passing of Robert Walker (Pineapple Bob)

Bob lost his battle with cancer today peacefully at home aged 75.

Bob was one of the first pioneers of expats to reside in Chiangrai over 30 years ago, he farmed about 50 rai

of now prime land opposite the Mae Fah Luang University.He will be sadly missed by family and friends

Rest in peace Bob

Robert Walker (Pineapple Bob)

In accordance with Bobs wishes,he will be cremated at Watdongknongped,Muang Chiangrai

tomorrow Friday 3rd February at 2pm.

Directions

Head north on the super highway taking the slip road past Central Plaza ,take the left turn that is opposite the Sinthanee complex,(you must take the slip road otherwise you cant turn left off the super highway because of concrete bollards) the Wat is 50 metres along this road.