Page Of Remembrance

Limbo

• 3 months later...

Last night Thai time, 10,25 am US time, our good friend Pat Smasne passed away in a hospital in Washington state.

Pat has lived here in Chiang Rai the last 10 years and before that he lived some years in Loei province.

Pat was a special guy and a very good guy. We, his friends will miss him very much!

RIP Pat !

Last night Thai time, 10,25 am US time, our good friend Pat Smasne passed away in a hospital in Washington state.

Pat has lived here in Chiang Rai the last 10 years and before that he lived some years in Loei province.

Pat was a special guy and a very good guy. We, his friends will miss him very much!

RIP Pat !

Yep, a one of a kind Chiang Rai personality. He always had interesting anecdotes about his life to relate. He knew he was in decline for some time, and he never ever sought sympathy or anything like it. When he recently went back to America for some last ditch treatment from the VA Hospital, he told most of us that he would be back. His departure from us was like you would expect to see from a cowboy hero in an old picture film... calm, matter of fact, some life regrets (but left at that, no details.) And he rides off into the sunset... I hope he has his log cabin with the overlooking view of the big river.

R.I.P. Ol' Pardner! You won't be forgotten.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My wife heard from a friend of ours that a mutual friend John Skliros (I believe that is his last name but I have never seen it written.) died today. He was looking quite frail when we saw him at Sunday brunch recently. He was always an upbeat but low-key gentleman and spoke with a wonderful South African accent. No word on a funeral yet.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The night between Saturday and Sunday our very good friend Dennis DiCesare passed away totally unexpected. 

No information about ceremonies or funeral for the moment. 

Rest in peace Dennis!  

Services for Dennis DiCesare will be at Wat Chetuphon in Denha.

On Friday it will start 19.30 and Saturday morning it will start 9.00.

The monks and all guests will be served lunch from around 11.00.

After that the coffin will be moved to Den Ha Crematorium 400 meter north of the temple.

Cremation ceremony will take place around 13.30.

You will find Wat Chetuphon on this link and Den Ha Crematorium you see 400 meter straight north from the temple. 

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this is redundant, but Jay Briel passed away in April this year.   He was in his 70's.  He moved from Florida and Puerto Rico to reside in Pattaya for about 2 yrs.  That was too crazy, so he moved up here to Chiang Rai about 8 yrs ago, when I met him and we became best buddies.

Jay loved his fast motorbikes.  He was one of the first people in the US to open a 'fitness club' (in Miami) and met Arnie Swarzenegger when Arnie first came to the US.  Jay kept fit, and had a lot of Thai girlfriends.  He loved golf, but he lost an eye in a golfing accident.    He was one of the coolest guys I've had the pleasure of knowing.  Rather like a cross between Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood.  He and I traveled around northern Thailand together.  Every moment was memorable.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Our very good friend Lars Cronie Johansson in Huoy Prakaan passed away July 24. 

You were a a very good guy and all your friends in Chiang Rai will miss you! 

Rest in peace! 

Lars-1.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just found out a couple of days ago that a very good friend, Jerry Czember, passed away in Grass Valley, California. 

I met Jerry first time in 2002 here in Chiang Rai and he came and stayed for a couple of months every year for 10-12 years. 

He was a golfer so many of the "old" golfers will remember him. 

Rest in peace Jerry! 

Jerry Czember-1.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/1/2012 at 7:45 PM, soap said:

The sad passing of Robert Walker (Pineapple Bob)

Bob lost his battle with cancer today peacefully at home aged 75.

Bob was one of the first pioneers of expats to reside in Chiangrai over 30 years ago, he farmed about 50 rai

of now prime land opposite the Mae Fah Luang University.He will be sadly missed by family and friends

Rest in peace Bob

I knew Bob back in the early 1990's in Chiang Rai--He was one of a group who kinda of showed up around the same time.  Good guy

• 6 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 9:28 PM, XJ650 said:

A good friend, Jürgen Maussner, passed away this morning at Overbrook Hospital. He has been fighting cancer since May 2020. 

Rest In Peace Jürgen. We are many that will miss you. 

Buddhist funeral ceremony Sunday 7th of February 19.30 at Wat Dong Nong Ped. 

Monday 8th of February Buddhist ceremony starts at 11.00 and cremation 12.30. 

Link in Google Maps to Wat Dong Nong Ped    : https://goo.gl/maps/ixG6gDfx5WrXeGyWA

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard that Erwin from Holland passed away in a hospital in Holland.  

Very sad news, he lived here in Chiang Rai for many years and he was a very good guy. He will be missed by many.

Rest In Peace Erwin. 

(Photo from John Jeurissen's post in FB.)

Erwin-JH.JPG

Edited by XJ650

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/02/2021 at 10:53 PM, XJ650 said:

Very sad news, he lived here in Chiang Rai for many years and he was a very good guy. He will be missed by many.

Rest In Peace Erwin. 

(Photo from John Jeurissen's post in FB.)

Erwin-JH.JPG

Looks young 

• 3 weeks later...

Surprised and saddened to hear this. Erwin was only in his early 50s. He used to run "Bo's Place" (which used to be the original Bierstubbe in CR). My condolences to his daughter, Amy.

"Did Anyone know Nick Devine from NZ?"

Yeah, I remember Nick. His wedding at his wife's Akha village was really something. His mother, who was a well-known TV personality in NZ, showed up with a full film crew. He used to run with Dave Canavan, who was one of the original construction crew that built Santiburi golf course. Nick was really into Akha culture and insisted that you call him by his Akha name "Ahtookala".

I also heard that he passed away a number of years ago, albeit under different circumstances.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...