Teacher's Dress Code

I am going to teach just outside of Bangkok with in the month. The school told me modest collared shirts, and all skirts below the knee. I got this nice (but plain) blue skirt...then I read in a Thai edicate book that Thais only wear blue for mourning/funerals. Is this true??? What are some professional dress colors that don;t stand out? I got a pink below the knee skirt as well to be worn with a white oxford. Let me know!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell me you're not teaching English.

I don't know anything in Thai etiquette forbidding blue. Actually, each day is associated with a color which should be worn on that day, traditionally, and blue is Friday's color.

Many school uniforms are blue, for example Triamudom Suksa's.

"Steven"

They might not tell you that you have made an error, ask some one whom you think may be open to telling you that you might of made a mistake. They will normal say nothing to you unless it's a major blunder. Personaly i don't know about blue at schools but the head teacher i had my interview with 2 days ago was wearing a blue shirt! Good enough for him = good enough for thee! :o

What are the colors for all the other days?

a. I had just worked a 14 hour waitressing shift on 5 hours sleep

b. spelling, grammar and punctuation are not prioritird for posting on an informal website as it is in the classroom. Atleast for me.

I am going to teach just outside of Bangkok with in the month. The school told me modest collared shirts, and all skirts below the knee. I got this nice (but plain) blue skirt...then I read in a Thai edicate book that Thais only wear blue for mourning/funerals. Is this true??? What are some professional dress colors that don;t stand out? I got a pink below the knee skirt as well to be worn with a white oxford. Let me know!

I hope you are not teaching English when you spell 'etiquette' as 'edicate'! Jeez!!

What are the colors for all the other days?

a. I had just worked a 14 hour waitressing shift on 5 hours sleep

b. spelling, grammar and punctuation are not prioritird for posting on an informal website as it is in the classroom. Atleast for me.

Yeah, sometimes I get very tired, but I can still spell - that's because I knew how to already ...

And I also respect my readers by using decent English when I address them, formally or informally.

You lot really know how to welcome newbies to this board don't you :o .

Read her journal, check her spelling in that if your bored and have nothing else to do.

This is an informal forum board, a few spelling mistakes don't matter too much.

Don't worry Necktie, you'll find a lot of these petty types on this board and in the Bangkok teaching profession :D

Edited by bkkmadness

still funny though.

:D

I can see 'prioritird' (sic) as a typo. That's OK by me. We all do that sometimes.

'Edicate' isn't, by a long chalk. :o C'mon, how can that spelling be acceptable?

It reminds me of a social worker who wrote to me a while back saying he would release some papers to me 'now that they have been 'ennonnimised'!! <deleted>!!! He meant 'anonymised', of course, for those still struggling ...

Give the lass a break why don't you oh mr perfect. If Teaching in Thailand was at such a high level already I could understand it, but when 4 days ago I visited a local school and found that the head English teacher (Local lady) couldn't even speak English, even someone with the high and mighty attitude problem you seem to have is worth considering as a teacher.

I can see 'prioritird' (sic) as a typo.  That's OK by me.  We all do that sometimes.

'Edicate' isn't, by a long chalk.  :o  C'mon, how can that spelling be acceptable? 

It reminds me of a social worker who wrote to me a while back saying he would release some papers to me 'now that they have been 'ennonnimised'!!  <deleted>!!!  He meant 'anonymised', of course, for those still struggling ...

You want to Fixit, Mister (your attitude that is) and answer the question or just bignote yourself and be regarded as flaming ?

Back to you Miser Fixit.

Rest assured the teaching forum is the only place where you will get flamed for your spelling and punctuation. Feel free to post in the other forums without reproach.

Back on subject, I wasn't aware of this dress code rule. I would have thought you would be safe with a dark blue skirt and a light shirt. Very smart!

Edited by Jack Jones

Let's see that @ss of yours and then I could suggest a good color. Certain colors look better on certain body shapes. I'd say darker colors make a large arse look larger. A small, tight arse will be just that no matter what color it's wrapped in. :o

Let's see that @ss of yours and then I could suggest a good color. Certain colors look better on certain body shapes. I'd say darker colors make a large arse look larger. A small, tight arse will be just that no matter what color it's wrapped in. :D

Now you can't get advice like that from your Thai Etiquette book :o

By the way gotta disagree, its dark colours for big @rses ain't it? :D

Let's see that @ss of yours and then I could suggest a good color. Certain colors look better on certain body shapes. I'd say darker colors make a large arse look larger. A small, tight arse will be just that no matter what color it's wrapped in. :D

Yes, I could wrong. Maybe a hujarse is just gonna look huge no matter what. There is some sort of 'color science' to fashion choice, but unfortunately I am not very up on this sort of thing. Maybe try the gay forum; many of those gents have a very keen sense for fashion etiquette.

Yes, I could wrong. Maybe a hujarse is just gonna look huge no matter what. There is some sort of 'color science' to fashion choice, but unfortunately I am not very up on this sort of thing. Maybe try the gay forum; many of those gents have a very keen sense for fashion etiquette.

Jack Jones seems to have a flair for such things. :D

Jack Jones seems to have a flair for such things. :D

Nothing wrong with being in touch with your feminine side :D The only colour science I'm aware of is horizontal stripes if you're skinny and want to make yourself look bigger or you could try a poker-dot top if you want to take the attention away from your lower half. Not sure you'd get away with that in a Thai school though.

Anybody else want some fashion advice :D Ajarn not sure that top goes with your eyes, now you come to mention it. Might want to try a softer colour

Thanks to that Thetyim for thinking to tell you the colors of the day. I worked in a province of northern Thailand that wore traditional Lanna clothing on Fridays, so I never learned Friday's color. Today I had to supply for somebody else at my new school, and could only find a light blue shirt. I lucked out!! The rest of the staff was wearing school dark blue shirts (short sleeve, how scandalous). I guess Friday is casual day.

In many schools, all the girl students wear dark or medium blue skirts, and boys or girls wear light blue shirts several days per week. Of course, on Scout Day, the 'Girl Guides' wear medium blue uniforms.

But I bought a black Lanna shirt and as soon as I showed up that Friday, I was told I had messed up; only for death. That's how you can tell a staff member has had a death in the family - she'll be in black for many days or weeks. After the tsunami deaths, all govt. employees wore black for certain days.

Anybody else want some fashion advice :D Ajarn not sure that top goes with your eyes, now you come to mention it. Might want to try a softer colour

Just don't talk about my shapely legs, JJ :D

You're right about the eyes, though. One of my few redeaming features, and that color doesn't do them justice, as you said :o:D

Thanks to that Thetyim for thinking to tell you the colors of the day.  I worked in a province of northern Thailand that wore traditional Lanna clothing on Fridays, so I never learned Friday's color.  Today I had to supply for somebody else at my new school, and could only find a light blue shirt.  I lucked out!!  The rest of the staff was wearing school dark blue shirts (short sleeve, how scandalous).  I guess Friday is casual day.

In many schools, all the girl students wear dark or medium blue skirts, and boys or girls wear light blue shirts several days per week.  Of course, on Scout Day, the 'Girl Guides' wear medium blue uniforms.

But I bought a black Lanna shirt and as soon as I showed up that Friday, I was told I had messed up; only for death. That's how you can tell a staff member has had a death in the family - she'll be in black for many days or weeks.  After the tsunami deaths, all govt. employees wore black for certain days.

PB, I wore a black Parachatan (formal) shirt as part of my work clothing for a number of years, and nobody ever suggested it was a fashion faux paux of any kind, and I'm sure my anal bosses then would have loved to tell me, if it was true.

I also see government officials, and others, wearing black safari suits as their work or leisure clothing. It's also the color of the uniforms for some security units along the border that I've seen.

In mourning periods, many people opt for wearing a black armband, rather than black clothing.

Edited by Ajarn

for birthday presents for thai men i've found that black is best: black smart t-shirts (calvin klein style, not fruit of the loop style); black jean jackets, black button ups, etc... black is like... cool... if not black, then, hawaiin colourful shiny material type shirts... ugg...

friday is ethnic day in thai schools , no?? (in ban chiang they came in puan pa sins, etc); scouts day, sports day (teachers in yellow and blue polyester training suits uhg); teachers in silk skirts and turned down white socks in their high heels cause of the cold/rain... different fashion for different folks....

they were always trying to get me to put belts on (fshion kind not useful, i;m super thin) and do stuff to my very brown fluffy falang hair, and bad coloured lipstick...

and as far as spelling, i'v 100% perfect when writing for professionl stuff, when posting, i'm tired and dont do grammer, spelling, context or anything else, its like speaking with friends on the phone, not with a potential employer....

whatever u do, dont come in ripped or 'old' looking clothing; my thai worker (!) sent me home t change cause i was wearing a ripped t shirt... i work with animals who cares about the shirt... no, i look 'poor' and i';m a boss, so it doesnt do... would be best if i could come in shirt and skirt to milk the goats, but at the least, i have to put on pink lipstick, etc.... oh well