Teacher's Dress Code

Right, please people let's play 'nice' (or as nice as possible) now!

Thanks kindly!

"I Am The Great And Powerful Oz!!!"

It's just my opinion. And I don't criticize every typo I see- make some myself. But I think even country schools in Thailand can do better than hire those candidates who have to spell phonetically (the way the OP obviously attempted to spell 'etiquette'). So call me an elitist!

:D

Hmm...my grandmother was one of seven sisters, all school teachers in the old English practice. Every time I used 'the language' in a manner not respectful I would get a good twist of the ear and a verbal slap. :D

This must have had a residual effect on my thinking. :D While it is understandable people wish to save keystrokes, and internet and quick messaging is developing a phonetic language of it's own (no standards really), at some point anyone using shortcuts has to expect someone else to hold them to a standard - even if simply as an opinion. :D

Apply that to fashion in the workplace - it's all about professionalism. Outside of the grind? Well, we cannot whip the slaves 24/7. Some things must be left to freedom of choice. How people wish to conduct themselves outside the demands of the 'prim and proper' world remains with them.

Which is also how fashion works. But it's much difficult because schooling does not teach us to dress. Usually our background does.

But fear not, fashion can be learned and can be fun to learn.

A little primer: colours slim or add weight depending on your body shape and how you use contrasts of colours and tones to accentuate your desired affect, your appearance strengths, and to draw attention away from your weaknesses. Dark colours worn high with light or lighter colours worn low on a pear-shaped body will slim (if the clothes are not too tight and reveal rolls). Slight or slim people who wear dark low and light high add bulk to the overall appearance. However, the contrast between colors need not be extreme. You could end up looking shorter than you are! And apple-shapes should think lighter up top and darker down below. (Ajarn take note. Plus, don't shave and wear that dark shirt!)

Tones which accentuate your skin tone and hair color generally add bulk while opposites will slim depending on their placement (upper, mid, lower body). Skin tones should recede from the the tone, not extrude. True fashion practioners see their accents as tones complimenting or contrasting or both. Going with a completely neutral color or tonal scheme may seem safe but choose colors carefully. Grey is always the safest neutral (boring but true) because each tonal scheme carries with it messages (power, excitement, control, casual, under or over statement, romantic, soft or hard presentation, subtlety versus bold, etc., ...).

If you want to know what your colour scheme is, or should be, go to a beauty salon and ask (and pay) for advice. Beauticians and make-up artists understand schemes for skin and hair and body shape very well. They should be able to show you your colours on a chart - complimentary, contrasting, complete no-no's, etc... Pick what you like out their suggestions and then head out to a big clothing store and try on the different colour schemes. Ask people what they think. If you can dress to draw people's eyes to your eyes then you are winning.

In an unknown evironment, subtle is safer, and sublte means soft. Dark and bold means power...not the best for delicate matters. Couturify your office attire by the personality you wish to portray, or one you feel is appropriate for the effect you need to portray.

So, dress for the occasion, leave the red dress for evening attire, let the power tie (bright bold yellow or fire engine red) hang in the closet when negotiating without intending to intimidate, and you'll find life a little more interesting because you begin shaping your day, your moods, and the moods of others simply by having a little fun. Soften up a little and you can find yourself lifting your mood throughout the day. Those hot afternoons are much hotter in black and dark blue than beige and light yellow. And with that scheme a dark brown tie near your eye colour will get the ladies (or men if you like) talking. (Good outfit Scampy but the shorts for Moog poolside are a little understated. For the camera? Try dark brown semi-casual shorts and perhaps a dark blue and beige two-tone collared top...or go colourfull single or two-tone, even a Bermuda. ...just a thought.)

Need some ideas?

Depending on your monitor calibration, a fun site:

http://colourlovers.com/index.cfm?section=colours&view=top

Perhaps you should be aware of your colour perception first. A good reason to seek other opinions:

http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/2D.html

Some guys I know never would have ever dreamed of wearing a pink shirt to work if they had not shopped with friends, tried new schemes, seen the affects, and so on... If you have a powerful figure and want to soften up your mean, muscular persona in that kindergarten class, pink goes over very well. If you have brilliant blond hair, well, maybe pink is not for you. A bit too bright overall. Glaring in some cases ...but one cannot generalize too much. It is all subjective, really.

Some women I know never would have dreamed they would wear a light blue shirt because combined with a sublte change in their make-up hue(s) and their hair colour it turned them from clerk to banking professional as a first impression. We live, but we don't learn unless we try.

Women can accessorize to soften or harden up the look in more sublte ways. Mind your shoes. Mind your buttons. Shoes say a lot. So do two undone buttons versus one; one being casual, two being alluring, three nearing a barfine. Guys, don't wear ties that say "I tied one on at Koa San Road" and if you can't tie a decent knot, find someone who can. (My first corporate job the receptionist on my floor met me every morning for weeks to re-tie my tie because she couldn't stand the site of me spending money on good clothes and yet still looking like a slob. I learned from her.)

First impressions are established (recent study, wish I had the URL sorry) within the initial 5-30 seconds. Not much time to re-make that one! When I present myself to my classes for the first time, or come in to work meaning business, I dress the part. It is my uniform. I save the comfortable, warm personality clothing after I have gotten business out of the way and wish to gain a more intimate working relationship with my students or colleagues. I establish myself (though perhaps not as military as Merton).

As a first day/unknown situation goes: crisp, clean, sharp and neutral (leaning to the dark side) is my established routine. I don't want to look bigger and grander than my employers - and I leave the expensive toys and accessories at home. A poor inner-city school? Tone it down but not too casual - taking your favorite senior citizen to a nice dinner where 'they' will be seen. A rich, wealthy international school? You are going to the bank for your first loan.

Understand (and teach) the statements: comfortably at ease versus comfortably at attention and you may find the old school principles of posture come more easily. A poor posture can undo a great outfit and is also more tiring in the long run. And, for whomever's sake, spend a little more on good fabric! Comfort is always the key.

ps: Use a napkin when you eat lunch. Pick your nose hairs (guys and gals) and mind your body (bawdy) hair and odour. Guys, let women or gay or metro friends dress you. Girls, don't let heterosexual men dress you! And, above all, don't look in the mirror as you dress! Wait for it!

Just my humble opinion...

:o ...jfc! I didn't check my spelling!

Edited by moebius

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just my opinion. And I don't criticize every typo I see- make some myself. But I think even country schools in Thailand can do better than hire those candidates who have to spell phonetically (the way the OP obviously attempted to spell 'etiquette'). So call me an elitist!

:o

I think it would be very mature of anyone still stuck on the spelling issue to LET. IT. GO.

If you're so skilled at expressing yourself, then have faith that you've sufficiently made your point alreay. A few times. Done. Over. Move on.

:D

I think it would be very mature of anyone still stuck on the spelling issue to LET. IT. GO.

If you're so skilled at expressing yourself, then have faith that you've sufficiently made your point alreay. A few times. Done. Over. Move on.

Not off the hook so fast sweetie :D . I will sit on the fence and say that bad spelling and grammar skills are not detrimental to adequate teaching, but most Thai students are quite good at what I would call 'mechanical English.' This being

spelling, grammar and handwriting skill. It's the other parts, verbal skill and writing, that stymie them. So, if you're not up on your spelling and grammar, you might end up looking like an @ss in front of the class. Hopefully it's a nice, small, tight one in a conservative, yet attractive hue, so your cute appearance will override any pedagogical faux pas. :o

Color Me Beautiful

by CAROLE JACKSON

Color for Men

by CAROLE JACKSON

Does This Make Me Look Fat?

by LEAH FELDON

if i'm a jeans/t shirt person, i would choose skirts, shirts, etc with a similar feel... not chicy boutique, or elegant but rather sport/elegant: cotton/permanent press, etc... sort of like wearing jeans but skirt like: thingk: LLBean type stuff... if however u dressed frilly,flowy pants etc... then go for frilly flowy skirts/shirts... (not hippy/shanty style)... thai love colours and they're idea of proper colours for meetings etc is not our idea etc...

also for the person going on about black on fat butts, it s not the color so much as the fit, type of material, and style of clothing u choose, even for men

I've often defended the right of those with skills and ability to do jobs which are commensurate with their skills, even if their formal qualifications weren't the best- for example, I have no problems with people who only have a high school degree teaching TEFL in Thailand, as long as they've had some training.

There is a line, though, and people who come on here asking about teaching jobs (especially TEFL jobs) who appear functionally illiterate are on the side of the line deserving criticism, IMHO.  I don't give a hoot if your spelling is off on the Food Thread in General Topics, but don't come to Thailand to teach, please.

"Steven"

Who died and made you God?

I like this chick! Sheez got ballz! :o

To be fair to her, apart from my gripe about her one spelling error (I ignored the few typos) I like her style. he HAS got balls and had a pop back, and I think her name of 'NeckThai' is excellent! :D

However, she'd better learn to accept constructive criticism FAST.

If one expects someone else to accept constructive criticism, it needs to be done in a constructive manner... :D

If one expects someone else to accept constructive criticism, it needs to be done in a constructive manner...  :o

Very well said sriracha john.

If the young lady in question didn't have the balls, I believe many a new poster would have quit and given up on TV as a bad lot. Personally I am awaiting the day my white board has spell check!

If one expects someone else to accept constructive criticism, it needs to be done in a constructive manner...  :o

Very well said sriracha john.

If the young lady in question didn't have the balls, I believe many a new poster would have quit and given up on TV as a bad lot. Personally I am awaiting the day my white board has spell check!

This is either the case or we have seen a resurgence of Harry Palmer. He had a fiesty womanlike wit, he did. :D

Color Me Beautiful

by CAROLE JACKSON

Color for Men

by CAROLE JACKSON

Does This Make Me Look Fat?

by LEAH FELDON

if i'm a jeans/t shirt person, i would choose skirts, shirts, etc with a similar feel... not chicy boutique, or elegant but rather sport/elegant: cotton/permanent press, etc... sort of like wearing jeans but skirt like:  thingk: LLBean type stuff... if however u dressed frilly,flowy pants etc... then go for frilly flowy skirts/shirts... (not hippy/shanty style)... thai love colours and they're idea of proper colours for meetings etc is not our idea etc...

also for the person going on about black on fat butts, it s not the color so much as the fit, type of material, and style of clothing u choose, even for men

Excellent points! :D

But the OT asked about colour so I thought I would chime in a little about colour. :o

Was I going on about fat butts? :D Not my forte or my fashionable language of choice. :D

To NeckThai: if you want people to let things go, why do you keep responding yourself?

To Sriracha and Boatabike: What kind of gentle, constructive criticism do you suggest I offer newbies wanting to be English teachers in Thailand who blatantly can't spell or have horrible grammar (get a primer? find a good elementary/high school teacher for tutoring? perhaps you should sit in on some classes with the Thai teachers of English?)? It's supposed to be a SKILLED job. I don't agree with the *real* snobs who say you must have a college degree to do that kind of job, but I do expect those who are interested to have the *skill*. There are people who simply don't seem to make the grade, and I think they should be told so.

That's not saying (sadly) that such people *can't* get jobs in Thailand. But I'm not shy about saying they probably *shouldn't*.

Neckthai's English has miraculously (suspiciously?) improved since his/her first disastrous post, so perhaps there won't be any further need to express this opinion. I don't think such advice is out of place here in the teacher's room, and if it discourages a few incompetents from the labour market here, so much the better.

"Steven"

To Sriracha and Boatabike:  What kind of gentle, constructive criticism do you suggest I offer newbies wanting to be English teachers in Thailand who blatantly can't spell or have horrible grammar

Neckthai's English has miraculously (suspiciously?) improved since his/her first disastrous post, so perhaps there won't be any further need to express this opinion.  I don't think such advice is out of place here in the teacher's room, and if it discourages a few incompetents from the labour market here, so much the better.

"Steven"

I certainly don't disagree with you in principal, Steven. I've seen my fair share of people that shouldn't be teaching.

As for TV postings, there is usually a pattern throughout their post that shows a lack of understanding English that should preclude them from the profession and I didn't see it in this poster. I saw it as a one-off and something that was explained to my satisfaction way back on post #6 of this thread.

As for her improving "suspiciously," it's likely that two things occurred. One, the condition reported in post#6 has been resolved. Two, no doubt she is certainly more aware of how critical some can be and is paying more attention.

As for having something constructive to say for people with difficulty spelling is to tell them to run their posts through Word or similar program, prior to posting.

Again, I do support your beliefs in having a modicum of English comprehension before teaching. :o

From a thread here last year... :o

The fact is, there are some people who come to Thailand to teach who have no business in a classroom.

They are bitter, condescending, lazy, self-interested (rather than self-less), and ignorant (and proud of it!).

Fair statement, and true, right?

But when we then name names (which the above poster did) ?

None of us know anyone here so intimately, including watching their teaching.... I'm sure all teachers fear becoming the above description, and would feel very sensitive to such personal comments.

Sometimes the Thai style of beating around the bush (or viciously gossiping privately to each other!) seems to be the better way. The point will always get across, to be sure. No need to always seek direct confirmation from your focus, I feel. It's too easy to sound mean, and how do most us usually react to that kind of person, even if the advice is good ?

Edited by Ajarn

To Sriracha and Boatabike:  What kind of gentle, constructive criticism do you suggest I offer newbies wanting to be English teachers in Thailand who blatantly can't spell or have horrible grammar

Neckthai's English has miraculously (suspiciously?) improved since his/her first disastrous post, so perhaps there won't be any further need to express this opinion.  I don't think such advice is out of place here in the teacher's room, and if it discourages a few incompetents from the labour market here, so much the better.

"Steven"

I certainly don't disagree with you in principal, Steven. I've seen my fair share of people that shouldn't be teaching.

As for TV postings, there is usually a pattern throughout their post that shows a lack of understanding English that should preclude them from the profession and I didn't see it in this poster. I saw it as a one-off and something that was explained to my satisfaction way back on post #6 of this thread.

As for her improving "suspiciously," it's likely that two things occurred. One, the condition reported in post#6 has been resolved. Two, no doubt she is certainly more aware of how critical some can be and is paying more attention.

As for having something constructive to say for people with difficulty spelling is to tell them to run their posts through Word or similar program, prior to posting.

Again, I do support your beliefs in having a modicum of English comprehension before teaching. :D

Um...is that principal or principle? :o

Really. I do agree in principle a teacher's forum should hold itself to some standard. But too high a standard exposes one and all to nitpicking. :D

Understanding is principal in communication. Moreso than spelling or grammar - though both help. :D

Go for it, Ken!

Don't know exactly what your point is, Ajarn- I think a certain amount of directness is helpful to people, and part of the point of the anonymity of forums is, so I thought, that we can be direct. Personally, I think there's more reason to discourage people from trying the whole 'teaching in Thailand thing' than not to- more people SHOULD be discouraged by it (I'm kinda surprised that I'm not yet myself!). Plus, I'm suspicious of the OP because (in addition to the whole Anguish thing) assuming this supposed book on Thai etiquette (in English) to have really existed, it probably would have contained the word 'etiquette,' and furthermore would not have had any nonsense about not wearing the colour blue. Makes one wonder a bit. Anyway, that's probably one reason for the tone of my response. If OP survives around here to 200 posts then I'll happily admit that I should have been more gentle. Sri Racha and Moebius, perhaps the preceding also explains why my response to OP was more, um, blunt and picky than usual (or at least I hope I'm not usually that bad!).

Or maybe I've just been a jerk! :o:D See, I can admit it!

"Steven"