Status Of One Existing Year Multiple Visa

I would appreciate comments on a potential situation:

The company I work for is dismissing employes.

If I am dismissed my work permit which will no longer be valid.

Will immigration be informed of my work status and cancell

the remaining time on my multiple one year visa?

Thanks for any advice.

First we need to know exactly what you have. Is it a multi entry visa that you receive a stay of 90 days on each entry? Or is it an extension of stay stamp that allows you to remain in Thailand for a year from your previous entry?

If you do visa runs every 90 days and your visa is still valid it will remain so until it expires.

If you do not do visa runs and have a stamp from immigration but not a valid visa that extension of stay on the basis of employment will end.

Believe you are the one who must report to immigration within a week of work permit being canceled.

First we need to know exactly what you have.  Is it a multi entry visa that you receive a stay of 90 days on each entry?  Or is it an extension of stay stamp that allows you to remain in Thailand for a year from your previous entry? 

If you do visa runs every 90 days and your visa is still valid it will remain so until it expires.

If you do not do visa runs and have a stamp from immigration but not a valid visa that extension of stay on the basis of employment will end.

Believe you are the one who must report to immigration within a week of work permit being canceled.

THANK YOU LOPBURI3,

The current visa is a one year multiple. Does not require leaving the Kingdom to renew.

It has been renewed every year by employer. (4) years.

This visa and the work-permit will be renewed in early November. I fear that the company will

cease December 31. The company will certianly inform the ministry of the work permit cancelation

within (7) days is correct I believe.

The multiple visa will show being vaild until Nov. 4, 2006 in the passport however.

The status of that visa is my concern. Thanks again, tpthai2

^ It's not a multiple entry then mate!

You'll need to leave IMO!

I agree, it looks like this chap has been on extensions of stay for the last 3 years.

Sorry, end WP = end extension = 7 days to leave the country :o

I am still not sure what you have. Does it say "visa" or something else. A visa requires you to exit the country every 90 days so it is looking more as if you have a "extension of stay permitted up to" stamp rather than a visa (but that is not good for any entry) and another stamp for multi re-entry permit. From information so far you should plan on leaving and obtaining a new visa if you plan to stay here.

If he's not been out of the country to 'renew', it has to be an extension, doesn't it???

I would think so but he keeps saying visa and we do not know how up and up the "company" was/is or what they did (and he does not seem to know either).

Now if he comes back and says he is married and has on extension of stay for support Thai wife we may all be wrong. :o

Thanks Mates for all your comments.

The visa is a one year/multiple entry, Non-immigrant re-entry permit.

I believe I was mistaken to call it a visa. I go with the company man each year to

immigration to get a wew one and then he goes to Labor to renew the work permit.

(the company I work for is quite large)

It's put into the passport and says Visa/Multiple Non-Immigrant and gives the date of expire

as one year from the day I receive it. Hope this is clear. That's been the procedure for the past three years.

The orginal question was "will the re-entry permit be cancelled if the work premit is

voided (no-job) before the re-entry permit expires.

Thanks again mates..

Thanks Mates for all your comments. 

The visa is a one year/multiple entry, Non-immigrant re-entry permit.

I believe I was mistaken to call it a visa.  I go with the company man each year to

immigration to get a wew one and then he goes to Labor to renew the work permit.

(the company I work for is quite large)

It's put into the passport and says Visa/Multiple Non-Immigrant and gives the date of expire

as one year from the day I receive it.  Hope this is clear.  That's been the procedure for the past three years.

The orginal question was "will the re-entry permit be cancelled if the work premit is

Thanks again mates..

No that is not what post one asked. There was no mention by you of any re-entry permit in any post. If you have a re-entry permit do not believe you have a valid multi entry visa but if your passport really says "visa" believe you will need immigration to answer your question. If they are the people providing visa I suspect is dies with the work permit but I was not aware they stamped a "visa" into passports. For marriage/retirement you get a half page extension of stay stamp rather than a visa.

• 2 weeks later...

When you resign or finish a position with a school or company where you had a work permit, it is their responsibility to cancel the work permit. Make sure you get and keep your tax ID card and a copy of any tax receipts that may have been paid. You will need these, if you apply for a new work permit at another employer. Many people givr conflicting advice on what they must do when they hand in their work permit. Some people are told they must go to immigration department and hand in their passport. If you do that you will be given only 7 days to leave the country. If you are still have a period of stay extended by immigration (for up to one year) you will still be able to stay until that date. No immigration department can change an entry in their computer without notifying you or having your passport. If you don't go there, they will not know of your status. The last entry in your passport is the same as in the computer system at Immigration. If you are applying for a new job with a work permit, you will need to leave Thailand and obtain a new non-immigrant B visa. If you want to stay on here without working until the departure date in your passport, you will not have any problems when leaving the country.

Don't be a sucker and fall for the scare stories from the employers. I know lots of guys who have gone to the immigration and got 7 days. NO NEED.

I repeat,

No immigration department can change an entry in their computer without notifying you or having your passport.

He would not be taking a chance.

It is a ploy by employers to keep you, using scare tactics like that.