Driving Instructors

oxo

I am trying to locate a good Driving Instructor for my Fiancee. This year she has lost three relatives due to motorbike accidents, which also involved Drink, and been knocked off her bike by a drunk. This left her in Hospital for a couple of days, luckily she did not have our 6 month old daughter with her.

She is now eager to learn to drive a car and is looking for lessons but so far as drawn a blank. I am back working in the UK for the next couple of months and would like her to get started ASAP. We are situated in Bueng Samakkhi, kamphaeng Phet and our nearest Town is Salok bat. Also Nakon Sawan is about an Hour and a half away, Phitsanulok is about the same.

If anyone in the area has any ideas they would be appreciated.

Looking for the same myself.

I'm a qualified DSA Driving Isrutcor (33yrs) . I've been in Thailand for about seven years and have tought about six Thais to drive. I see them driving now and they have reverted to "Thai Style" driving. Just as the youngsters back in the UK do. We can teach them Uk driving practices here but they will get no respect from other Thai drivers. I really sympathize with you and every farang regard to this.

Last week I took a lady to a test centre for her test,we were as we got out of the car we were approached by a Thai man dressed the normal goverment Khaki uniform who shook my hand then proceeded to talk to my test candidate. I was told by her that if she wanted to sit the test we would be at the Test Centre all day. If she paid 1000Bhat we could go home and come back at 3pm for her licence. This is what is causing the problems on the roads. When you think of it, once they get the licence there is nothing to stop them going and getting a job driving a bus.

Best of Luck

Wee Jimmy.

• 2 weeks later...

I taught my wife myself, the driving test is a complete joke, to pass they watch a video, do a multiple answer exam on the video, which can be passed if you can't read or write by slipping 500b to the examiner, then complete a series of senseless maneuvers around a car park. They are then let lose on the highways without ever driving more than 200 meters.

Your best bet is too teach her how to drive/control the car yourself and teach her what you know as commom road sense and she'll be better than any other Thai on the road.

Wee jimmy;

Interesting post you have made. Is teaching your primary occupation, and where are you located. If you prefer not to post here, please send me a PM.

What you say about

they have reverted to "Thai Style" driving
is so true and I have done it myself.

Suring my life I passed a Driving test in Australia, then got sent on one of those "Advanced courses" one of the useful ones, that deals with defensive driving, and how to deal with vehicles that behave badly when braking and turning, Then the Heavy Vehicles / Dangerous Goods, and finally I was re-done by the Army, and taught how to drive "The Army Way".

The only time I got into trouble on the roads ever was for speeding. Now, after a few years of driving here, I am not sure I would be able to drive in the west any more. My behaviour on the road is like everyone else.

I think the biggest problem here are 3 things.

1. The drivers are so indifferent to the other users of the road.

2. The "Vehicle in Front" scenario, rather than polite driving

3. The Heavy vehicle-right of way.

The three of these together make quite dangerous driving conditions, particularly when you have an inexperienceddriver sharing the road with heavy vehicles up-country.

Just my thoughts. Sadly this is from 75,000 km of driving in the last 18 months.

Even if it will be hard to teach ideal safe driving practices for the reasons you've mentioned above, you would at least be able to teach people how to look for dangers in advance and try to plan their driving instead of reacting to dangers when they have already occurred.... which most people here seem to do.

Once you have the right kind of foresight and attention while driving, you are much less likely to end up in a situation, here, or in another country - this being said, you are of course always more or less at the mercy of other more reckless drivers.