Getting Remarried

clampet

Goodmorning evevryone.

I have been previously married in thailand before and we had a child, now we are divorced and my child lives with me. i have read somewhere that if i remarried i would loose the guardianship of my child. Is this true?

also when i first married quite a while back I had to go to the embassy for a piece of paper to say i wasnt married. i have my divorce paper from a local umpoe office here in thailand and i havent left the country since is that proof enough that i am single and not married or do i need to go back to the embassy and get this paper and get it translated again.

any help appreciated.

You will need to go back to the embassy and get a new confirmation that you are free to marry.

As to your parental rights, nothing changes if you get married again. Only a judge can change your current status.

Congratulations on your new wedding.

You will need to go back to the embassy and get a new confirmation that you are free to marry.

As to your parental rights, nothing changes if you get married again. Only a judge can change your current status.

Congratulations on your new wedding.

thanks very much, its just that i read somewhere that if the father remarries the guardianship goes to the mother but if the mother remarries nothing changes. maybe i misunderstood what i read.

Thanks again

also could someone tell me how much the confirmation to marry is also the best way to get it translated, the last time i did it was quite a few years back and i had it translated in cosan road for 8000 baht which i thought was expensive then, how much should i pay?

Edited by clampet

thats good to hear,

is it a difficult proccess for me to take the translation to the MFA myself also i see you can pay more to get it done same day at the MFA does anyone know how much this costs?

Also another problem I might face. I have been reading some information about remmarrying in Thailand and i see that it needs to be 310 days before remarrying, so i have read on a website. is this to be able to abtain the affirmation to marry or is it the aumper office or the MFA that will check this.

also it says that it needs to be 310 day unless you are remarrying the same person or have given birth along with a few other things. my girlfriend is 5 months pregnant and if we cant marry soon then it will cause problems for:-

A) her family who want her to be married before giving birth.

:) For me to be the legitimate father of the child.

Is there anybody that has been refused to marry due to the 310 day rule?

Is there any way around it?

I called up a translation company and they said they can do everything for me from the affirmation to the marriage for 7000 but i plan to do it all myself but they said the 310 day rule doesnt matter, how can they get arround it?

Edited by clampet

The same day certification at MFA is no longer available.

thanks for that, so i will have to wait the two days.

Also i just found a website

and it says the 310 day rule is for women, if that is true i dont have anything to worry about.

Could someone confirm this.

Thanks

Correct, the 310 day rule is for woman and has to do with a possible pregnancy. In case the woman is not pragnent and can show a doctors certificate confirming that, it is possible to marry within those 310 days.

Thanks Mario thats great news.

just one last thing. do i need to get my Thai divorce certificate translated to apply for the affirmation as i will need to show it?

Hi everyone,

Got my affirmation done,

Went to the embassy this morning at 08:45, the place was like a ghost town.

I handed in my affirmation along with my divorce certificate from Thailand, She chaecked it and then I signed it infront of her, she then told me to take a seat, which I did,

09:05 I was called back to the counter and she handed me back my affirmation of freedom to marry.

What a good start to the day, thought I was going to have to return tomorrow.

09:40 Had my document translated, now its off to MFA.

10:45 Handed in my documents at MFA, she asked if I wanted to express it, which I thought they stopped, she said if I want it expressed then I need to go and ask for permision and a signiture, so walked into the supervisors office she signed it straight away then went to get a ticket, This place was deserted to. My tiket number was the next one called, handed all paperwork in also 800 baht and was told to take a seat as it will take 2 hours.

11:45 my name was called, Please come to window 6, I wasnt even waiting 40 minutes.

13:30 Arrived at local ampoe with the wife to be, and after an hour and a bit walked out with the new wife.

All in a day, just thought I would share my experience, All the guys that i saw in the MFA said they had their affirmation given back from the embassy withing 20 minutes. Maybe this is a new thing or just down to not being busy with the lack of foreigners here. Also I was told by Beano2274 and read elswhere on this site that the express is no longer available, but it definately is you just need to get the supervisors signiture,and no tea money was handed over.

What a gread day, now its off to celebrate.

Thanks everyone for your posts.