Hat Yai

Shakermaker

Hi

Can anybody give me any info on Hat Yai please? I have been offered a job there and was just wondering what it is like?

I know the South is quite volatile but after reading existing threads it seems that the areas to avoid are Yala/Pattani/Narathiwat and Hat Yai is safe from these troubles?

Any residents or ex residents have any info about the cost of living (housing, etc)? How far is it from the beach? Is there much of an expat scene? How are the locals?

I'm going to check it out for myself soon but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

I would dearly love to know what sort of job is on the offing in Hatyai.

Hatyai is around 30klics from Songkhla, thats where the beach is. About 25 to 35 minute drive.

Essentially there is no expat scene in Hatyai. There is quite a number of expats in Songkhla, some retirees, some working on the offshore oil and gas platforms.

There used to be Hash Run in Songkhla, not sure whether thats still active.

As far as housing is concerned I can tell you that I have just returned from working in Laem Chabang and rented a house in south Pattaya. Three bedrooms, three bathrooms, large dining/lounge area, fully furnished and with a swimming pool. Rent THB 55,000, around Hatyai and/or Songkhla a similar property (if you can find one) would be THB 25 to 30K. But I guess for budget purposes THB 20K will be more than ample.

Plenty of bars in Hatyai but mostly catering for the locals. Songkhla has an area that is sort of dedicated to bars, locals and expats catered for. Many of the bars are owned by expats.

Hope this helps. :)

I would dearly love to know what sort of job is on the offing in Hatyai.

Hatyai is around 30klics from Songkhla, thats where the beach is. About 25 to 35 minute drive.

Essentially there is no expat scene in Hatyai. There is quite a number of expats in Songkhla, some retirees, some working on the offshore oil and gas platforms.

There used to be Hash Run in Songkhla, not sure whether thats still active.

As far as housing is concerned I can tell you that I have just returned from working in Laem Chabang and rented a house in south Pattaya. Three bedrooms, three bathrooms, large dining/lounge area, fully furnished and with a swimming pool. Rent THB 55,000, around Hatyai and/or Songkhla a similar property (if you can find one) would be THB 25 to 30K. But I guess for budget purposes THB 20K will be more than ample.

Plenty of bars in Hatyai but mostly catering for the locals. Songkhla has an area that is sort of dedicated to bars, locals and expats catered for. Many of the bars are owned by expats.

Hope this helps. :)

Just because you're not part of the expat scene here, doesn't mean there is none :D

Seriously, there are quite a few farang teachers living and working here. I'm not a teach myself, but I know at least a dozen of them.... I guess there are at least several 100's of foreigners living and working here. Most of them hang out in a hand full of bars, so it's quite easy to get to know some of them.

Living expenses; me and my girlfriend live in a two-story; two bedrooms and two bathrooms, rent is around 4.500 per month. I know farang who rent furnished apartments (nice ones) for about 5.000 month.

The closest beach is in Songkhla, about 35 km away from Hatyai. However, this beach is nothing great. For better beaches, you can visit the west coast; Satun and Trang province are closest (about 2 hours by mini van from Hatyai) and both have some of best beaches I have seen here in Thailand.

I have been living down here for about six years and although I have been to many other locations in TOS, I am perfectly happy here.

PM me if you have any more questions.

Matt

Hat Yai's pretty safe, and a pleasant city to live in. There are western expats here but their numbers are relatively few, there are more Malaysian and Singaporean expats in Hat Yai, and that's where most of Hat Yai's tourists come from too.

Rental properties are inexpensive, just drive around town, you'll see plenty of vacant shop houses with boards giving telephone numbers for sale or rent.

On average the general living costs for my family of four are around THB50,000 per month, there's no rent as we own the house.

As said Songkhla isn't far and it makes a pleasant day out, but there are better resorts further afield, not just in Thailand, Langkawi Malaysia isn't far away.

Flight connections via Bangkok from Hat Yai are good, but I find it just as easy to take a taxi to Alor Star and connect via KL. It's handy when the lunatics close the airports.

Hi, I have only lived in Songkhla for just over two weeks and have had shopping trips to Hat Yai,

Its a buzzing town and full of shops, bars and restaurants. Everyone seems really nice down here.

There are 3 major supermarket/hypermarkets - Tesco Lotus, Carrifour and the Big C. OK you can't get everything but you can get almost everything you need.

Markets for fruit and veg and cheap clothes. What more could you need.

Housing varies I think. We had a hard time finding accommodation and its a bit more pricey than the first response advises.

We live on a compound/estate and have a 3 bed house for 35,000 per month. Semi furnished but it is really nice, not too big and there is a pool and gym on the compound.

The Post (Laser Disc) with live music and the Swan are 2 popular expat hangouts in Hat Yai. Brown Sugar is right across the road from these 2 establishments.

They are all on Thamanoonvitee Road between Sanehanasorn Road and Saengcharn Road.

Seems that the majority of expats are English teachers and a few retirees. Most are pretty good guys and girls, there are exceptions. If you meet Nigel, give him my regards.

Edited by Blinky Bill

We live on a compound/estate and have a 3 bed house for 35,000 per month. Semi furnished but it is really nice, not too big and there is a pool and gym on the compound.

May I suggest that this level of rent is totally ridiculous for a place like Songkla..

I assume the company pays..

You can get a condo in Hatyai,next to Rajyindi hospital for 6000..

Two bedroom,aircon,lightly furnished and killer views...

I won't mention names... :)

By the way,I am not aware of a gated community in Songkla..is it out in the sticks?

Yep you guessed it, it is out in the sticks. When husband came to look he hardly found anything to rent.

We have two dogs and two cats so need a garden so now with this information you have given us we can look around again. Thanks

Rentals of larger properties - asking 80,000!!!!

Yeah, Nigel is a legend but don't rely on him for advice.

I'd pop into Koh Samui Travel (KST) just around the corner the train station and ask the owner's daughter for advice or go to the Swan, or the Boo Bar and ask the local farangs about house rentals.

Hat Yai is very safe..want to know why? According to my Thai brother- in law, many of the southern insurgent leaders live in Hat Yai, or at least have their business in Hat Yai, so the VERY last thing they want is to foul their own nest, so to speak..

bottom line??....they have a VERY STRONG financial ulterior motive/ incentive/ AGENDA to keep Hat Yai stable violent- free, and free of political unrest..for the sake of their own business!

signed: self interest

• 1 month later...

Hat Yai is very safe..want to know why? According to my Thai brother- in law, many of the southern insurgent leaders live in Hat Yai, or at least have their business in Hat Yai, so the VERY last thing they want is to foul their own nest, so to speak..

bottom line??....they have a VERY STRONG financial ulterior motive/ incentive/ AGENDA to keep Hat Yai stable violent- free, and free of political unrest..for the sake of their own business!

signed: self interest

Up until a few years back the big bus station in Hat Yai was completely open, now it has become a gated/walled compound.

This happened soon after a bombing in the city itself. Your brother-in-law's premise is out the window.

I have walked the city streets at night in HY and have not been bothered at all. Then again if I see a bunch of drunken gits I detour away.

Edited by bendejo

In the downtown area in the mornings its easy to find roti with curry sauce, really cheap and delish, at some of the Muslim places. Also, at almost all times except the dead of night you can find Chinese style dim sum places. In addition to the sea food, to me this makes Hat Yai a nice place for food since you can get it all.