Unprofessional Ways To Offer A Job

Just a rant to vent, as I have put my resume back online and my inbox looks like the Chao Praya after Loi Krathong

My current job is good, I work for a farang who is good to the teachers, the class sizes are reasonable, hours, etc. But I want to make some extra cash so I put my resume back online stating the area I want to work in, the hours I am available, etc. (E.g. I live in Bangkok, therefore I can't really work part time in Hat Yai.) It's all polite as I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Now I don't blame any employer for trying. The few emails I get telling me about the lovely rural school that pays 20,000 bt to teach 40 hours to kids of all ages are not what I am complaining about. Because they gave me all of the information I need to know that it's not for me.

Why do employers write, "I have a great job at Happy Fun English Academy [just as an example] that you would love! Write back and answer twenty essay questions and I'll tell you all about it!" <deleted>? Where? How old are the students? How much do you pay? What are the hours? Do these people understand that we get many emails and this is a waste of time? Why not just tell everybody in the first place? I usually don't respond.

Now my personal favorite is this response I got for not responding. This is exactly the letter I got except I have edited out the name of the school:

Ms *****, I must respectfully remove my offer of interest. You demonstrably lack the courtesy, the level of professionalism, and concommitent with these, the intelligence, to respond properly, if at all, to an inquiry.

Most sincerely,

PS No further reponse at this point is necessary or desire

The name was not a Thai name, BTW, so presumably this is a native speaker. Who wants to work for this guy? I googled this school and found the school director's name. I think this school might be better off with a new teacher recruiter.

To use an old cliche, no wonder there's a foreign teacher shortage!

That letter would piss me off, too.

Sadly, my experience here has been that many Thai school admins, and others, harbour some deep resentments towards farang teachers, often seeing them as interlopers...

My main complaint has been that the school recruiter doesn't read the part of the resume that says what I want, such as hours and location. They'll write or phone with totally undesirable situations, and then not listen when I reply, "But I don't want that many hours, that location, that age group." Several recruiters, both Thai and farang at government schools, told me "Well, just lie to your government pension agency and tell them you're just working part time here." I reply, "So it's okay to lie completely to the administrators at a government school in Thailand, too?"