Sick Aussie Crime King Goes On Run In Thailand

george

Sick Aussie crime king goes on run in Thailand

Hunted by Interpol

BANGKOK: -- Fugitive Michael Hurley, named as the organised crime boss at the centre of cocaine smuggling operations at Sydney Airport, is believed to have fled to Thailand.

He and accomplice Les Mara, a former Balmain footballer and boxer, disappeared from Sydney after a police officer gave them a tip-off that the net was closing in.

Hurley, who has cancer of the spine and had been receiving radiotherapy at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, has apparently chosen Bangkok because it has private hospitals offering similar treatment.

The 58-year-old crime figure is using a false passport and forged identity papers and has disguised himself to avoid the international manhunt now being co-ordinated by Interpol.

An associate said Hurley's condition was so serious he doubted whether he would return to Australia alive.

"He had an operation at RPA last year to remove a tumour from his spine but it didn't stop the cancer spreading," the associate said.

Hurley has also emerged as the probable mastermind behind the most daring bank robbery in the city's history - the so-called "Great Chinese Takeaway" or "The Bicentennial Bank Bust".

On Saturday, January 2, 1988, three men broke into the Haymarket branch of the National Australia Bank from a neighbouring building and looted a fortune from 80 safety deposit boxes.

The thieves made a clean escape with gold bars, rare coins, bracelets and rings of gold, antique jewellery, jade statues set in gold, set and unset diamonds, emeralds and rubies, as well as bundles of cash in various currencies.

Only 42 bank clients came forward to list their losses. The rest were reluctant to admit to the police - and the Tax Office - what they were keeping in the bank's security boxes.

The value of the loot has never been properly quantified but detectives on the task force estimated it was somewhere between $10 million and $100 million.

--smh.com.au 2005-06-04

Michael Hurley case:

New security boss for Sydney Airport

SYDNEY airport will get a new security supremo to deal with growing concerns about criminal and terrorist activity.

SYDNEY: -- The security chief will be appointed by the Federal Government and will have counterparts at all international airports across the country.

The move comes as three former NSW police told The Sunday Telegraph that airlines and authorities have been aware of serious criminal activity at Sydney airport for almost 30 years.

All three pointed to specific instances in the 1970s, '80s and '90s when baggage handlers or Qantas staff had been involved in corrupt activity.

The plan for a new security boss follows a week of bickering over who should take responsibility for law enforcement at Sydney airport.

Criticism started last month after police smashed a cocaine-smuggling ring which allegedly used baggage handlers to import the drugs.

Two Qantas handlers have been sacked over their links to one of the leaders of the syndicate, Michael Hurley, who is now on the run. A security manager has also lost his job.

Cabinet-level sources told The Sunday Telegraph the Transport Minister, John Anderson, had rejected as too bureaucratic a proposal to set up a new body to deal with the issue.

"He wants somebody who is clearly charged with airport security - and nothing else," said one Cabinet minister familiar with the plan.

It is believed that Mr Anderson wants to end what he privately calls the "turf wars" between Customs, ASIO, the Australian Federal Police and State police.

Under the proposed changes, each of these agencies would report to the new security chief.

A member of the NSW police who spoke to The Sunday Telegraph said Qantas had been told of large-scale, organised theft of cargo at its cargo terminal around 1991 but had turned a blind eye.

A second former officer said two baggage handlers had been identified as being involved in drug smuggling in the 1980s.

One had been charged in relation to the heroin-importing syndicate run by former Marrickville alderman George Savvas, who later died in jail.

"We wrote it all up into a final report with recommendations and Christ knows what," the officer said.

"It went through the chain of command to the airport authorities and every man and his dog."

He said it was not clear if any of the recommendations had ever been implemented.

The third source said police had identified a Qantas security officer, Noel Hogan, as being involved in drug trafficking as long ago as 1977.

A 1982 NSW police report, which named Hogan, said: "On at least one occasion, Hogan, whilst a Qantas security officer, made an active and persistent attempt to corrupt a Qantas employee."

It said that had he been successful, he and others "could easily have arranged the removal of goods, including drugs, prior to inspection and possible detection by Customs."

This is exactly what police now allege some baggage handlers were doing for the cocaine syndicate.

The first source said detectives had investigated organised theft around 1991.

Luxury goods such as watches and perfume as well as firearms were looted regularly. "Qantas wouldn't do anything about it because it would create industrial tensions," the source said.

--news.com.au 2005-06-04

and in the Cory case  the court said criminal drug gangs at the airport where unsustantiated rumours :o

I think you're right on. Trouble is, she's still in that rotton ###### hole thing they pass off as prison. Howard wrings his hands, thinking if he does it long enough people will let go and go on to the next "crisis".

Proof of innocence needs more than tears and protests

This is a tongue in cheek social commentary. I do actually feel for the girl, but knew she had no chance from the start.

As some bright reader in the letters to The Australian wrote:

"Perhaps Schapelle Corby's only purpose in life is to be a warning to others..."

Am I missing something?

The original post states that he has fled australia obtained a false passport and altered his appearnace to avoid detection.

Yet it also states that he has cancer of the spine and has chosen Bangkok because he can continue his treatment.

Now unless this is a red herring and he is now in deepest darkest Africa somehwere, how diffcicult would it be to find him if he is in Bangkok and under treatment for cancer.

Inspector Clouseau could close this case methinks

I understood he changed his looks in 1995.

But not, his cancer. Just finerprint all the cancer patients at all BKK hospitals. Even the Thai police should be able to manage that!

Narrowing it down to white males. Also noted a police officer tipped them off, I can remember when the NSW police was described as the highest paid and the worlds most expensive. Was it the Warren Commission that investigated these claims a number of years ago? Does this help identify there is corruption in the supposed best police forces?

You know what guys, I am really surprised a bit here reading this thread. It is unbelievable to even think that all this time the authorities knew who were the drug dealers and handlers and those who pass the buck along all these years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their background checking system has to be the absolute worst in the entire world.

No fricking way am I going to ever go towards Aussie land due to their lack of protection and security concerning passengers.

For pete's sake they could easily have bonifide terrorists working right smack on the tarmac and nobody would even notice or even bat an eye.

If those bozo's even tried to work in USA, they would never get past the application stage, because they would be arrested for other crimes instantly.

Going to BKK is a decoy for this sucker. He is in another area perhaps right smack in Bali, which is practically the very last place anyone would think to even look, or he can still be right there in Aussie land and never left because immigrations would catch him almost right away.

In my opinion, Australia is totally all screwed up and they should be given a NO VOTE for any tourists.

Daveyo

You know what guys, I am really surprised a bit here reading this thread.  It is unbelievable to even think that all this time the authorities knew who were the drug dealers and handlers and those who pass the buck along all these years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their background checking system has to be the absolute worst in the entire world.

No fricking way am I going to ever go towards Aussie land due to their lack of protection and security concerning passengers.

For pete's sake they could easily have bonifide terrorists working right smack on the tarmac and nobody would even notice or even bat an eye.

If those bozo's even tried to work in USA, they would never get past the application stage, because they would be arrested for other crimes instantly.

Going to BKK is a decoy for this sucker.  He is in another area perhaps right smack in Bali, which is practically the very last place anyone would think to even look, or he can still be right there in Aussie land and never left because immigrations would catch him almost right away.

In my opinion, Australia is totally all screwed up and they should be given a NO VOTE for any tourists.

Daveyo

Yeah Dave,

It's much safer in the U.S as long as you don't happen to be in any tall buildings or on one of the flights that gets hijacked and flown into one of the said tall buildings or happen to be employed in a diplomatic position at any of the many embassies throughout the world. Iin good old dangerous Aus we try not to train the very people who are going to commit these acts against us either but hey! no one is perfect right Dave :o

Dave, why don't you really say what you mean! :o

I agree, never, never go to Aus, it's a very dangerous place, esp if you're a Yank, the Leb ground crew will suss you out in a nano second, kidnap you and send your thumb to the SMH with a ransom note for 5 bucks.

Be careful out there !

This is an interesting thread, but I am afraid it's getting very anti-Aussie. (I'm not an Aussie, by the way). In numerous countries there have been serious problems with baggage handlers. It's one of the "perfect" places to commit crimes. The victims are usually in a different country when they find out something has gone astray. Most think they forgot to pack it. Granted most of this stuff is small things, like electic shavers, hair dryers, watches, jewelry etc. but after numerous stops and a return home, it's a little hard to get a handle on where it went.

Hidden video cameras in the US caught up with a lot of these culprits--very openly rummaging through luggage. Interestingly some 90+% of the thefts were never reported.

As for the drug dealing--again it's a the best place to do it. About a decade ago, it was uncovered that HUGE amounts of cocaine from S.America were being smuggled in on the military transport planes that really weren't checked. The point is that baggage (and handlers) have to be watched carefully.

As for terrorists, I don't worry too much about that. This relatively tightly-knit group of thieves would have little to gain by allowing explosives in. I don't know that most terrorists would "fit" well into the criminal "social-order" of these people. However, that said, it is a point that makes getting a handle on baggage handlers soon.

And then, if there is any truth in Corby's defense, these drug smugglers should be checked out carefully. Maybe some good soul will cleanse his/her conscious and come clean with what may have happened to her.

Lets not trash Australia over this--it happens almost every where else too.

You know what guys, I am really surprised a bit here reading this thread.  It is unbelievable to even think that all this time the authorities knew who were the drug dealers and handlers and those who pass the buck along all these years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going to BKK is a decoy for this sucker.   He is in another area perhaps right smack in Bali, which is practically the very last place anyone would think to even look, or he can still be right there in Aussie land and never left because immigrations would catch him almost right away.

Daveyo

Yeah Dave,

It's much safer in the U.S as long as you don't happen to be in any tall buildings or on one of the flights that gets hijacked and flown into one of the said tall buildings or happen to be employed in a diplomatic position at any of the many embassies throughout the world. Iin good old dangerous Aus we try not to train the very people who are going to commit these acts against us either but hey! no one is perfect right Dave :o

Just to add my 2 cents worth

Vetting, who vetted the pilots prior 911 trained in the US I believe?

There are ongoing investigations, re: passport fraud and illegal entry.

Australia has been scorned for its rigid stance re: refugee status of boat people, some have been interred for over 7 years now. A huge controversial area can now be opened in regards civil rights, a persons privacy a country's stance on internal security.

Corruption! Where?

This is an interesting thread, but I am afraid it's getting very anti-Aussie.  (I'm not an Aussie, by the way)........

......Lets not trash Australia over this--it happens almost every where else too.

Scott, I'm Australian - and in no way do I feel that this thread is anywhere remotely close to becoming an anti-Australia drive.

Their are seemingly flawed security systems in ours, and other countries. Currently the heat is on in Australia, (unfortunately the majority fueled by media-driven-Corby-Schapelle-mindless-hysteria-drivel) and this will lead to heated debate about how we deal with the situation.

However, debate is good. Bring it on.

Going to BKK is a decoy for this sucker.   He is in another area perhaps right smack in Bali, which is practically the very last place anyone would think to even look, or he can still be right there in Aussie land and never left because immigrations would catch him almost right away.

Daveyo

Yeah Dave,

:D:D:D

Seavisionburma--glad you don't think things are anti-Ozzie. I hope not. I guess a few remarks like "it's very dangerous"; "don't visit there" etc. seemed a bit so. Glad to know the Australians aren't offended.

I just hope we can stay on the topic, because it's serious in so many places, and not get off on which country screws up the most. Seems like the deficiencies are pretty wide spread.

Yeah dont go to Oz....corrupt baggage handlers

dont go to Bali.....you may get arrested

dont go to South Thailand....you may get blown up

dont go to Spain...ditto

dont go to the Philippines...you may get kidnapped

dont go to India, Thailand, Indonesia, Sri Lanka etc....you may get washed away

dont go to Asia...you may get Bird Flu

Pretty soon there wont be anywhere left to go and you can all stay home. :o

Edited by gburns57au

dont go to Spain...ditto

Pretty soon there wont be anywhere left to go and you can all stay home.  :o

They will probably find him dead (from his cancer) somewhere around Pattaya... :o

Anyway if he spends 10m USD in Thailand he will probably get a permanent stay permit and a free resident visa :D:P:p

and its good for the (thai) economy...

right...

seriously now... If he will come to thailand it wont take long before he will be noticed and police will know about his whereabouts... the question is, are they willing to help catch him?

dont go to Spain...ditto

Pretty soon there wont be anywhere left to go and you can all stay home.  :o

Antarctica (spelling???) still seems safe... or wait don't they hunt seals there? hmmm

.....If those bozo's even tried to work in USA, they would never get past the application stage, because they would be arrested for other crimes instantly.Daveyo

Ah......and what about those illegal aliens recently caught working:

- in a Florida nuclear power plant.

- at a U.S. Navy nuclear submarine base in San Diego.

- on a U.S. Navy nuclear aircraft carrier undergoing retrofit.

- at a factory in Texas making MRE's (Meals-Ready-to-Eat) for the US Military.

- at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado.

I'm sure Australian security is no worse and probably a lot better than most other countries.

Remember...........more people die at home, than anyplace else, so the longer you stay away from home, the longer you may live. :o

peace :D

Edited by waldwolf

.....If those bozo's even tried to work in USA, they would never get past the application stage, because they would be arrested for other crimes instantly.Daveyo

Ah......and what about those illegal aliens recently caught working:

- in a Florida nuclear power plant.

- at a U.S. Navy nuclear submarine base in San Diego.

- on a U.S. Navy nuclear aircraft carrier undergoing retrofit.

- at a factory in Texas making MRE's (Meals-Ready-to-Eat) for the US Military.

- at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado.

Oh come one, surely you don't realise America is the best country in the world