Alan Wallace In Phuket

sabaijai

The master of the mind

By Vipasai Niyamabha

Special to The Nation on Sunday

Published on April 25, 2010

Buddhism guides Alan Wallace's meditation retreats in Phuket, but they rise above religion

Meditation is no longer the preserve of monks in temples. Buddhist scholar B Alan Wallace was at the Phuket International Academy Mind Centre earlier this month to affirm its aptness wherever there are good intentions.

Dr Wallace's weekend "Genuine Happiness" retreats at the new Mind Centre continue all this year.

"The Mind Centre is a good place for people to come and explore the benefits of meditation," he said. "It's an ideal environment to raise children, with day school, sports and a leisure centre. Along with the Mind Centre, everything's incorporated for both body and mind."

Wallace is president of the Santa Barbara Institute for Consciousness Studies, a non-profit organisation dedicated to "synthesising scientific and contemplative inquiry into the nature and potential of human consciousness".

The author and translator of many books and academic research papers, Wallace has studied Buddhism in Germany, Sri Lanka, India, Switzerland and the United States since 1970.

He was ordained a monk by the Dalai Lama in 1975 and lived as such for 14 years, intermittently serving as His Holiness' translator.

"I was Christian as a young man, but I had rebellious questions. As a Buddhist I've found many things worthy of respect and appreciation in all religions - Hindu, Muslim and Christian."

Buddhism teachings appeal to him most, however, because "they're very traditional, and I'm a traditionalist at heart".

Wallace notes that meditation retreats are growing in popularity around the world and attracting people from all walks of life. At one that he led, there was a 17-year-old man and a woman in her 80s.

"I have people of all ages in between, too, and from a variety of backgrounds, including scientists and other highly educated people.

"What I find is that many people are now looking for greater meaning. It's not just about religion, belief systems or institutions, but greater meaning in their lives, greater insight, greater wellbeing and happiness. The Mind Centre was created in response to those needs and aspirations."

Wallace considers himself a "transmitter", passing on the teachings, but that involves making the message understandable, appealing and practical, regardless of the practitioner's cultural background.

"On one hand I'm a traditionalist, but on the other it's absolutely imperative to bring this teaching into the modern world so that people will see something of value, as meaningful and authentic - not brainwashing ideology or anything distorted as some New Age phenomenon.

"Eventually they seem to recognise that if they're not entirely happy or satisfied with life, it's not just because of the world outside - it's from the inside. It's my role to respond to their need as much as I can."

Westerners often try too hard, Wallace says, probably because of inflated egos. He always begins his meditation lessons with relaxation exercises, to calm the mind by focusing on the breathing.

"Some people ask me how long they have to meditate. It's the wrong question, just like asking, 'How long do I have to breathe?' It really shows that the modern world is driven by ego. People just want to acquire things, and they end up entangling their lives in hope and fear."

From relaxation to attention to breathing, Wallace's sessions move on to "the Four Immeasurables" - loving kindness, compassion, joy and equanimity. These, he says, form the core of Buddhist teachings, and make sense even to those who shun religion.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]