Western Style Apartments & Shops

penbat

How westernised is Chiangmai ?

Could I easily get a westernised apartment with broadband access ?

Are there Western Style stores available that sell computers and other electrical goods ?

Is there a McDonalds in Chiangmai ?

Is there an airport in Chiangmai ?

Do you need a car to live in Chiang Mai ?

Edited by penbat

:o This relates to your question on the other thread, about whether you can live on a thousand pounds per month. If you're that Western, you won't have much of a cushion to deal with.

We're supposed to tell you, "Oh no, elephants still roam the street to keep the tigers in the jungle - go South!!" But truth is, CMai is very much Westernized for the tourists. At least two McDonalds, a Burger King, Pizza Huts and Pizza Companies, several KFC's - see the related thread here for restaurants. At least 5 decent non-franchised Italian restaurants.

Internet access can be painfully slow; forget what you've got now, and think "Suddenly, it's 1996."

It really is an international airport - several flights direct to foreign countries.

In addition to cars, pickup trucks and motorcycles, there are many three wheeled taxis, a growing fleet of new four-wheel air/con taxis. two large Western style malls, endless shops.

Oh, and more than two Thai food restaurants.

Dozens of air-conditioned condominium complexes, some of which will still be operating in 2012.

Are there Western Style stores available that sell computers and other electrical goods ?

Howdy pahdner!!! I guess Chiangmai is so western all the city slickers done left so you can hitch your horse to just about any hitching post you want. Mosey on over to the Dry Gulch Saloon and have a shot of sarsparilla 'cause Chiangmai is jest about as down home western as any asian city gets. And the western style stores are great...you can get ten gallon hats and lizard skin cowboy boots........but you better leave them pearl handled six shooters at home 'cause 'tain't allowed in these parts no more.

Howdy pahdner!!! I guess Chiangmai is so western all the city slickers done left so you can hitch your horse to just about any hitching post you want. Mosey on over to the Dry Gulch Saloon and have a shot of sarsparilla 'cause Chiangmai is jest about as down home western as any asian city gets. And the western style stores are great...you can get ten gallon hats and lizard skin cowboy boots........but you better leave them pearl handled six shooters at home 'cause 'tain't allowed in these parts no more.

:o

Seen 'The Big Lebowski' lately? :D

Howdy pahdner!!!  I guess Chiangmai is so western all the city slickers done left so you can hitch your horse to just about any hitching post you want.  Mosey on over to the Dry Gulch Saloon and have a shot of sarsparilla 'cause Chiangmai is jest about as down home western as any asian city gets.  And the western style stores are great...you can get ten gallon hats and lizard skin cowboy boots........but you better leave them pearl handled six shooters at home 'cause 'tain't allowed in these parts no more.

Are there any of the old western themed watering holes left in Chiang Mai? There use to be a small one behind the old night market and another one arose next to the old Tantraphan. They were a bit of a hoot meeting middle aged Thai men who just loved John Wayne.

No, it's Chicago-Texan. If I give a speech even in East Texas, the listeners remark, "You must not be from here." I think if I gave a speech in Chicago now, they'd say the same. But a visiting Australian professor of linguistics asked me in Thailand if I was a Brit. I can borrow my friend's imitation of West Texas accent speaking in first year Spanish; it's a hoot: "Oooolahh; como aystaaah uuwstaid? Meey cahsah ais sooo cahsah."

Mosey on down to the Chaing Mai Saloon, Ron the owner is a Texan, he'll give you a h3ll of a welcome, great guy, great food, great place, great atmosphere, he's so big he ensueres it is.

No I am not on commission :o (Unfortunatley)

Nothing wrong with CM for a 21st century boy (T Rex) Internet is a bit slow but you can live with that can't you?

Blinging

TP