Cost To Live In Chiang Mai

penbat

If I needed £12,000 English pounds per year to live on in Bkk or Pattaya, roughly how much would i need to live on for the same quality of life in Chiang Mai ?

I am single male. I would require my own apartment with internet access. I don't drink and am not particularly into "in your face" entertainment but may indulge in a certain amount of naughty stuff - massages etc.

That's roughly 70 to 75,000 baht per month. Are you not including trips abroad? How many naughty nights per week. How big of an apartment - air conditioned? Do you eat Thai or Western food, at home or at nice restaurants? What about your transport?

Your post was good for starters, but we need to know how long this piece of string will be. :o

That's roughly 70 to 75,000 baht per month.  Are you not including trips abroad?  How many naughty nights per week.  How big of an apartment - air conditioned?  Do you eat Thai or Western food, at home or at nice restaurants?  What about your transport?

Your post was good for starters, but we need to know how long this piece of string will be. :o

Thanks. I'll try to elaborate best i can. I am anticipating very few trips abroad - maybe back to the UK once a year. Maybe 3 naughty nights a weeks and that may just be a naughty massage. Apartment must be air conditioned and modern western style with TV and internet access but could be quite modest in size. I would eat a mixture of Thai and western food - a mixture of at home or at a nice restaurant. I hope to manage without my own transport - possibly get a motor bike but hope to avoid it and use public transport. Generally i expect to not travel much - maybe occasional trips to Bkk or Pattaya.

Good answers, but it would still be difficult for most of us to come within 25% of what you'll end up spending, because few of us even know exactly what we spend (although I keep my own tab on naughtiness). If 'modest in size' would translate to 45 square meters (500 square feet), you could find a nice one for 9,000 baht, plus 2,000 more for electric, water, and telephone. 300 quare feet, maybe 25% less (there are decent bedsits/studios for 4,500). Almost any naughty night out will run around 1000 baht until you get....erm...to be a regular customer.

I've only been here, living as a single man, for two years. Others will say 40% more and 40% less, or 80%. You'll incur a lot of additional expenses - up to 100,000 baht altogether - in the first year, not including a motorbike, as you learn where the bargains are, as you acquire a new music library, different wardrobe. A new bike runs 30,000 to 105,000 - a typical one maybe 40,000. And you will probably make some expensive mistakes. :D:o

Thanks for useful info but i think we are getting a little bogged down. I was given the impression from other threads that around £12,000 English pounds per year was roughly enough in places like Bkk and Pattaya and that other places like Chiang Mai work out significantly cheaper on a like for like basis.

Regardless of my exact lifestyle do you think that Chaing Mai has a lower cost of living than Bkk and Pattaya and if so by roughly what percentage ?

I think the reason why you are not getting a flood of replies to your string is because this topic is asked so often, it gets sort of boring.

I suggest you do a TV search of the topic to get the information you are looking for.

if you don't smoke, drink, gamble, or take drugs, your answer will be much lower than that of someone who does any of the above vices.

the best way to find out what you will spend is to just come over and live here for a few months. you may spend a little more than you would eventually spend, but then, that is part of the learning process.

good luck in your research.

Penpat,

We do want to help you but the cost of living is more dependant on what sort of a person you are than any other factor.

There are members here who survive on sub 20k and there are others who cannot live wth less than 100k per month

I will stick my neck out and guess that CM is 25 percent cheaper for a non-drinking, retired walker.

The most expensive place to live is Bangers, followed by Pattaya and Phuket.

Don't know for sure but I'll estimate that for about 16.7% of the people in your situation it will be 19.3% cheaper and for 27.9% of the people in your situation it will be 14.8% cheaper...and for 5.02% of the people in your situation it will be more expensive by about 7.7%.

Penpat,

We do want to help you but the cost of living is more dependant on what sort of a person you are than any other factor.

There are members here who survive on sub 20k and there are others who cannot live wth less than 100k per month

I will stick my neck out and guess that CM is 25 percent cheaper for a non-drinking, retired walker.

The grog is 25% cheaper up here...but don't tell anybody! :o

If I needed £12,000 English pounds per year to live on in Bkk or Pattaya, roughly how much would i need to live on for the same quality of life in Chiang Mai ?

I am single male. I would require my own apartment with internet access. I don't drink and am not particularly into "in your face" entertainment but may indulge in a certain amount of naughty stuff - massages etc.

With respect, there's a giveaway in your first sentence - talking about English pounds. The current exchange rate is very good - about £1 = 73 Thai Baht. It has been much worse than that - and could go that way again. It only takes a drop in the value of the £ or a rise in the value of the Baht (for instance, if/when the Chinese revalue) - or both - and your calculations will go way off course.

As I and others have tried to advise you before, you must get a research visit to Thailand under your belt (no pun intended).

To be frank, I think you're doing yourself no favours by asking questions like "Does Chiang Mai have an airport?" and talking about using public transport in Chiang Mai. Almost everything I have seen you ask is already contained in existing threads on this forum - I know because (when I was in your situation - except that I'd been to Thailand several times) I still spent a few days exploring those threads building up a general picture in my mind before I started launching specific questions at members.

I don't mean to sound unfriendly or trigger a flame war, but I really do think you should re-consider how you're approaching this. Everybody on this forum knows the first excitement of exploring their Thai "project" - but it really pays to do some spadework first. If you haven't already spotted it, there is a "search" button at the top of the page you're looking at now.........

In a last attempt to try and be helpful to you, I'll pass on the per month budget calculation I researched and put together for myself based on renting a small house close to town - it may or may not be appropriate for you.

Rent 10,000

Electric (av.) 3,500

Water 300

Gas 80

Internet ADSL 1,250

TV (e.g. cable) 1,600

Phone 1,600

Motorbike* 300

Car* 3,250

Food** 10,500

Entertainment 10,000

Total 42,380

* assumes already owning basic car/small motorbike

** mainly Thai or home

Others will have their own version and may well differ on specifics, but I think the overall total is about right for the basics. My own view is that it's dumb not to have a car for out of town trips and a motorbike is cheap and quick for getting around town - so I include both.

You'll note that it does not yet include any form of insurance (home or medical), cost of visas/visa runs, travel around Thailand or to UK - nor is there any contingency figure. As you'll see said many times on the forum, "your mileage may vary" - there is very significant truth in that. If pushed to an estimate including those factors, I'd say more towards 55,000 per month

Finally, going back to my first point about exchange rates - I would budget conservatively - e.g. @ £1 = 65 Baht. That way, while it stays as good as it is now, you maintain a reserve; in the opposite case, you've probably covered yourself.

Good luck...........

P.S. To other forum members - I welcome your comments about my figures. I know the rent figure can be beaten eventually, but I'm being cautious to begin with :o

Edited by Steve2UK

Don't know for sure but I'll estimate that for about 16.7% of the people in your situation it will be 19.3% cheaper and for 27.9% of the people in your situation it will be 14.8% cheaper...and for 5.02% of the people in your situation it will be more expensive by about 7.7%.

:o:D

Chiang Mai is the most expensive place in Thailand! The price of beer has really shot up and I hear that a Chang (Elephant Beer), a locally produced paint stripper that has a bouquet more in line with the waste product of the aforementioned beast, has now spiralled to 125 baht in an average run-of-the-mill roadside hawker. You can easily find the same beer for at least 150% less in Bangkok. Furthermore, everyone is a fiend, the massage parlours have been bulldozed and we hear on the grapevine that the city-wide 10 O'clock curfew will be implemented forthwith.

I'd go for the big smoke or Patters but definitely not the north :o

Penpat,

The grog is 25% cheaper up here...but don't tell anybody! :o

Sounds great!

Me and all my hoodlum friends are moving up! :D

• 3 months later...

I was asked this question a couple of months ago by a friend who wanted to move here. My response to him was similar to Steve2UK's (i.e., 55k plus be conservative with the exchange rate and that he'll need private transport).

He decided to move to Malaysia instead. Do I get a pat on the back for being a bad salesman for CM?

Anyway, my consultant's gene kicked in and I made him a quick and dirty spreadsheet that took into account exchange rates, incomes and inflation, stretching out to 40 years (we should all live so long). If anyone's interested, I could upload the spreadsheet here.

Your numbers are right on the money!

The main difference in my budget vs. yours is the car expense which is 10,000/month (New Car Payment) and Misceleaneous which I just use 1000/day which covers visa runs and the odd trip to Bangkok or Pattaya every few months or so.

:o

I was asked this question a couple of months ago by a friend who wanted to move here. My response to him was similar to Steve2UK's (i.e., 55k plus be conservative with the exchange rate and that he'll need private transport).

He decided to move to Malaysia instead. Do I get a pat on the back for being a bad salesman for CM?

Anyway, my consultant's gene  kicked in and I made him a quick and dirty spreadsheet that took into account exchange rates, incomes and inflation, stretching out to 40 years (we should all live so long). If anyone's interested, I could upload the spreadsheet here.

Everything is relative. It really depends on how inexpensively you need to live, and your lifestyle.

Two years ago I was quite ill and my finances were tight because of it. I did not know how long I would need to make my money stretch.

Anyway, with the help of a Thai friend, I was able to find a very nice, fully furnished, two bedroom, two bath townnhouse with telephone (and later a two bedroom house), a maid who cleaned and cooked, an inexpensive car (which I later sold for slightly less than I paid for it). My total expenses for myself and friend, including eating out frequently (no alcohol drinks) , gas for the car, electricity (did not use air con, only fans), unlimited dial-up internet, etc., etc. was Baht 7,000 per month. And I lived very comfortably and happily in a nice area of Mae Rim, a 5 min walk from where tourists were paying Baht 20,000 per day for housing only in the Four Seasons Resort.

So, if you have friends on a tight budget, they can live very comfortably in the CM area for far cheaper than BKK or most anywhere else. They just need to be resourceful and look around (and have the help of a good Thai or local friend).

When I get back, I will probably be closer in to town, using aircon, and spending at least double what I was before, but at least the option to live comfortably on a tight budget is there.

Seeker

Anyway, my consultant's gene  kicked in and I made him a quick and dirty spreadsheet that took into account exchange rates, incomes and inflation, stretching out to 40 years (we should all live so long). If anyone's interested, I could upload the spreadsheet here.

Good to know that my figures and approach seem to be about right.

Thakkar, I'd be very interested to see that spreadsheet. I have to admit that I effectively take for granted that my future finances will take care of themselves (rental income from UK property + return on investments + eventual disposal of both) - but "forewarned is fore-armed".......... :o

Just in passing - did your friend conclude that Malayasia is significantly cheaper or did he have other reasons for choosing there rather than LOS?

I think you all also need to ask yourself will you always be single ?!? Naughty nightlife is fun but I'd say for 80% of people it gets boring...So if your going to have a partner your going to have more expense.

Good point and I have factored it in. I didn't include it in my (published) breakdown because it's one of the biggest "your mileage may vary" items! :o

:o:D:D

Chownah hits the nail on the head :D

I haven't been here long, but I can tell you this is not the forum you want to be on if you're looking for information on budget living in Thailand. I might suggest doing some searching of Boots N All [http://boards.bootsnall.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/448097925] for information. I've got a budget of about 15k baht/month. From the research I've done, it's certainly doable, if you're willing to forgo luxuries such as air conditioning and daily hand jobs.

Guest endure
I haven't been here long, but I can tell you this is not the forum you want to be on if you're looking for information on budget living in Thailand.  I might suggest doing some searching of Boots N All [http://boards.bootsnall.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/448097925] for information.  I've got a budget of about 15k baht/month.  From the research I've done, it's certainly doable, if you're willing to forgo luxuries such as air conditioning and daily hand jobs.

How does that work then? Do you put some money in a jar every time you have a tug? :o

I haven't been here long, but I can tell you this is not the forum you want to be on if you're looking for information on budget living in Thailand.  I might suggest doing some searching of Boots N All [http://boards.bootsnall.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/448097925] for information.  I've got a budget of about 15k baht/month.  From the research I've done, it's certainly doable, if you're willing to forgo luxuries such as air conditioning and daily hand jobs.

Matt, I don't wish to appear rude, but your post seems very confused and uninformed. This is very much the place to be to find info on budget living in Thailand. This is a forum for expats living in Thailand, not backpackers traveling all over Asia, which seems to be what you posted. Please correct me if this is not right and back that up with some useful posts from Boots.

Does Boots have recommendations on how to rent (or build) a quality home in Thailand inexpensively? Or how about saving money on owning a vehicle in Thailand? Keeping electric costs down? How to apply for the correct long term visa in order to save you time, hassle and money? I would guess Boots has suggestions for some cheap places to eat, but I doubt it could compare to what you can find here on TV for all levels of budgets and tastes in dining.

Do some serious searching on TV and think a little before making a post that might offend others. Did you not see my post above where I described how I lived very comfortably on half your budget? BTW, the house rent part of the budget was only B1,000 per month. Sure, most folks here are paying much more than that, but they have the money and desrve as nice a place as they can afford and I am quite sure in most cases that it is inexpensive compared to equivilent luxury elsewhere.

I have thus far found TV filled with useful information and very kind and helpful posters. If you have found something of great value on Boots that you have not found here, by all means please post it. If I see a few such posts, I will certainly visit it again myself to look for more but, for now, I did not see anything pertaining to living in Thailand.

Come in, browse around, make youself comfortable and when ready please share your knowledge.

Seeker

At least you admitted that you are a virgin to Thailand depending upon the advise of websites catering to backpackers, which do nothing but sully the reputations of their native countries!

My memory is fading but it seems that the original question had a budget and asked could he live on it? I don't really recollect him asking how he could live like Osama Bin Laden in a <deleted>>--g cave to save money!

Please, PACK up your Jansport, take the train SOUTH, WAY SOUTH and join your compatriots in Bangkok.

Chiangmai is looking for a FEW good expats. We don't want to see the Pattaya calibur backpacker choose OUR community for their home!

I am sorry, we have our standards......... :o

I apologize if my post was a little abrasive. I had a bad first impression of the TV forums. The first post I ever... posted was asking to recommend an apartment at or around 2500/baht a month. Here's the reply I got:

I find it extraordinary that self-respecting farang would leave their home country to come to live in Thailand if they only have enough money to live in a 2500 baht box. I mean, why do it? It can't be for the lifestyle. It can't be quality of life.

If you have no money, ok . .stay where you are and use welfare, rather than be dragged into a poverty spiral in Thailand. I would never live here unless I can do it on my terms and in relative luxury?

So is it for the girls? That is flawed too. You're not going to get much respect from women when they discover you are farang kee nok.

Seems very sad to me.

This might not be a fair representation of the whole board, but it was by a member who's been here a while and gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

I gave up on TV until I discovered the Chiang Mai forum and found it to be a pretty good source of info on a place that's not real easy to get specific information on from the net. But it seems to me that most of the posters on here are living in places that run over 10,000 baht/month, and that's not budget living; maybe among ex-pats in Thailand, but not in Thailand as a whole.

Boots N' All is certainly more oriented toward the backpacker looking for short-term stays and not necessarily an apartment or long-term rental.

I'm no ex-pat, and I'm certainly not a typical Pattaya/Kho Sahn Road backpacker either. I'm simply looking for a relaxed place to live for 7 months, soaking up what I can and taking that time to improve myself as a person. My travelogue is at mattloaf1.blogspot.com, and I'd recommend it to anyone on the board looking for specific information on budget living in CM. I get into Thailand on October 21, and I'm sure I'll run into a few of you during my stay in CM. Again, I apologize for seeming hostile, and I hope I can share and recieve some good information from this board!

Edited by mattloaf1