Having A Bad Day / Week/ Month

jubby

I surely can't compete with your colorful lifestyle. Things continue to idle along at a mind deadening normal here in the field. I am trying to stir things up a little, however. I've got the Phantom for sale in the classifieds and if it ever gets sold, I'm heading off to Chiang Mai to get me a Ninja. To tell the truth the wife is yet to be convinced but I think I'm getting there.

I've got a friend with a couple of new 650's and he got me hooked on a ride the other day. Almost forgot, I swear that Momo and King were nowhere near your ducks. :)

I quite fancy a Ninja myself, seem quite affordable. Now I'd really like a BMW but crazy prices. to be honest I've been doing a lot of Kms on various bikes recently and from what I've seen and experienced with Dogs, Chickens & the driving skills of the Collective , I've come to the conclusion that we're all better sticking to 4 wheels. Now I've heard the argument from experienced riders about more power, gets you out of trouble but I'm not convinced a Ninja can ride a Dogs or protect you from the collective anymore than a phantom. The chances of not ending up in Hospital by no fault of our own are somewhere between 0 and nothing.

your lovely wife will take some convincing hopefully and you'll stay safe.

As for Dogs, I'm a firm believer that all Dogs should be on a leash or lynched .

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice on the bike upgrade VF, the roads and weather up here in North Thailand are perfect for motorbike touring, just make sure your not the next farang patient that Kandahar is visiting!

Which Ninja are you going for, 250cc or 650cc, naked or fairing? If funds allow after the arrival of my baby girl and the rainy season is out of the way I'll also be off to CM to upgrade but probably only to a D Tracker unless the Versys is released in the next few months.

It looks like the Ninja 650R is my choice. Was surprised at how easy it was to get used to. It really helps to be able to ride one first.

Avoiding traffic and city driving is easy for me as I live more than 50km out of town. I only ride when conditions are perfect and with my gear on. A bike is for fun not transportation in my case.

Good choice on the bike upgrade VF, the roads and weather up here in North Thailand are perfect for motorbike touring, just make sure your not the next farang patient that Kandahar is visiting!

Which Ninja are you going for, 250cc or 650cc, naked or fairing? If funds allow after the arrival of my baby girl and the rainy season is out of the way I'll also be off to CM to upgrade but probably only to a D Tracker unless the Versys is released in the next few months.

It looks like the Ninja 650R is my choice. Was surprised at how easy it was to get used to. It really helps to be able to ride one first.

Avoiding traffic and city driving is easy for me as I live more than 50km out of town. I only ride when conditions are perfect and with my gear on. A bike is for fun not transportation in my case.

Perfect conditions, OK. must have been someone else I saw nearly get wiped out by a driver on the wrong side of the road not six months ago. :D

The Collective can be found on the roads anywhere, anytime, as can sleeping dogs.

The riding experience helps though, what are we talking 15-20 years :):D

Anyway, I'm seeking Job opportunites in the UK for a couple of months. Work can be very grounding ;-)

Hows the election Biff. I saw a couple of black range Rovers rushing into what looked like the grounds of Buck House on thai news yesterday, but it was only on for a couple of seconds. Royalty or MP's ? Tories and Liberals getting together puts it all into perspective, Powers more important than principle. Anyway, biff. get it sorted before you come over here. The worlds waiting on this. They look up to our fine upstanding members of parliament .

They still haven't made their minds up as to which set of tossers will be in charge yet! Black Range Rovers were probably the milkman :)

I'll make a few phone calls but to be honest they've stopped returning my calls due to the level of abuse they've been getting!

Just had my car clamped, 2 days before I was selling it, which will set me back £600!!!

Job opportunities? you can have mine mate, just about sick of the dam_n place!

Anyway, I'm seeking Job opportunites in the UK for a couple of months. Work can be very grounding ;-)

Hows the election Biff. I saw a couple of black range Rovers rushing into what looked like the grounds of Buck House on thai news yesterday, but it was only on for a couple of seconds. Royalty or MP's ? Tories and Liberals getting together puts it all into perspective, Powers more important than principle. Anyway, biff. get it sorted before you come over here. The worlds waiting on this. They look up to our fine upstanding members of parliament .

They still haven't made their minds up as to which set of tossers will be in charge yet! Black Range Rovers were probably the milkman :)

I'll make a few phone calls but to be honest they've stopped returning my calls due to the level of abuse they've been getting!

Just had my car clamped, 2 days before I was selling it, which will set me back £600!!!

I've just heard Brown had resigned as party Leader, maybe he was visiting Liz at Buck Palace , don't know. I'll have to check the archived news.

Still Clamping are they, was it the police or those privateers. 600 quid, thats got to be London. I think I'd just go out and buy an Uzzi if that happened to me. It was always handy having a Citroen years ago, drop the suspension to the ground every time I parked up just in case.

I'm sure I'll get done for speeding or running a red light in my first week back anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of months work and then 'get the hel_l out of dodge' for another 18 months ;-)

They still haven't made their minds up as to which set of tossers will be in charge yet! Black Range Rovers were probably the milkman :D

I've just heard Brown had resigned as party Leader, maybe he was visiting Liz at Buck Palace , don't know. I'll have to check the archived news.

Still Clamping are they, was it the police or those privateers. 600 quid, thats got to be London. I think I'd just go out and buy an Uzzi if that happened to me. It was always handy having a Citroen years ago, drop the suspension to the ground every time I parked up just in case.

I'm sure I'll get done for speeding or running a red light in my first week back anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of months work and then 'get the hel_l out of dodge' for another 18 months ;-)

Yeah he's resigning in September, Tories are miffed that the Libs have been talking to labour behind their back, the markets are unhappy with it all but hopefully we'll get less of a party agenda and more sensible government, or we could get a tory minority govt. that shuts all the schools, loses all the in-house votes meaning they need to call another election, and makes them un-electable for 50 years, fingers crossed :)

yes it was privateers, in London, a parking ticket that I forgot about, his van has cameras with number plate recognition software, he drives along slowly and it beeps when it see's one, shows him the file on his on-board computer, he checks any outstanding finance any owed council tax etc etc, gets a valuation of the car then sticks a clamp on it! Actually a decent fella, has given me till tomorrow to pay it instead of just towing it which adds £190 plus £40 a day storage for four days before they take it to an auction where it may or may not sell, if not, back to the pound @ £40 till it does, all added to my bill of course! Then, without you knowing, you still owe them the difference between the selling price and all their charges!

The worst ones are the cameras that send parking tickets to the registered address of the vehicle, you don't know you've got one till a week or so later when it plops on your doormat!

Latest is the average speed camera, they're installing them on a road near me as we speak, clocks your speed as you enter the 'zone' then works out your average speed when you leave, if you go over the limit at any point along the way, ticket arrives through your door! Nice!

Just to get back on Topic, in case anyones taking notice.

We had a Chat with the Dogs owners this evening. we headed up to the top of the garden and through the gate near were the Dogs would come in. One of the Dogs was already in the garden. and another was sniffing about barking just behind the gate. owner of said dogs could clearly see the commotion. Great, will be much easier to explain the situation to them now.

Unfortunately they were a nice couple with one young son. The Guy pretended to be busy and let his wife do the talking. She's a lovely woman, she had almost certainly been informed on the village telegraph beforehand but it went well. She didn't have any money, theres a surprise. but she's willing to have the Dogs killed , all three of them , there each worth 150 baht each for meat apparently. and give me the proceeds. I explained that if I wasn't a Farang and a Thai then she would have to find the money wouldn't she. She seemed to agree with me. We said we didn't want the money, or her to kill the dogs as I didn't have anything left for them to kill but that she may have to take responsibilty for them in future. If anyone else looses a Duck in future there sure to be knocking on her door. I think she'll have the Dogs dealt with.

Its a difficult situation, one doesn't want to start some sort of fued with the locals over a few Ducks. I had dogs that killed ducks before, and I got rid of the dogs as I would if they bit anyone. A farang aquaintance I know has a chicken killing Dog. he keeps it chained up all day and lets it off at night , it still takes a chicken but no one sees it. He seems to think its funny his dog killing the peasants chickens, he can afford the occasional 100 baht, so whats the big deal. I suggested maybe he needs to have it put down, but he wasn't keen. So it goes on.

They still haven't made their minds up as to which set of tossers will be in charge yet! Black Range Rovers were probably the milkman :D

Yeah he's resigning in September, Tories are miffed that the Libs have been talking to labour behind their back, the markets are unhappy with it all but hopefully we'll get less of a party agenda and more sensible government, or we could get a tory minority govt. that shuts all the schools, loses all the in-house votes meaning they need to call another election, and makes them un-electable for 50 years, fingers crossed :)

yes it was privateers, in London, a parking ticket that I forgot about, his van has cameras with number plate recognition software, he drives along slowly and it beeps when it see's one, shows him the file on his on-board computer, he checks any outstanding finance any owed council tax etc etc, gets a valuation of the car then sticks a clamp on it! Actually a decent fella, has given me till tomorrow to pay it instead of just towing it which adds £190 plus £40 a day storage for four days before they take it to an auction where it may or may not sell, if not, back to the pound @ £40 till it does, all added to my bill of course! Then, without you knowing, you still owe them the difference between the selling price and all their charges!

The worst ones are the cameras that send parking tickets to the registered address of the vehicle, you don't know you've got one till a week or so later when it plops on your doormat!

Latest is the average speed camera, they're installing them on a road near me as we speak, clocks your speed as you enter the 'zone' then works out your average speed when you leave, if you go over the limit at any point along the way, ticket arrives through your door! Nice!

actually a Decent Fella !? :D :D . Thats Ok then I suppose Biff. I was thinking Bullet and between the eyes but , Ok. now he's a decent fella, I'll leave it at that ;-) . Its not a Job I could do and sleep at night though.

The good thing about the average speed camera's is that its possible to remember where you are after the first camera and then reduce your speed drastically , or stop . I've done that a few times.

Yeah, sorry, kinda hijacked your thread there, slightly off-topic but it was my bad day/week/month story! :)

Seems with your duck saga you've at least had some dialogue and established that the dog 'owners' are decent folks. Shame you had to lose all your ducks but hopefully she'll take better care of her dogs in future, having just said that I realise that's probably not going to happen! :D she'll just wait till someone else loses ducks then kill the dogs! Shame really 'cos the dogs don't know they're doing anything wrong, just saw a tasty looking duck and ate it.

My dog is the wannabe scourge of the local chicken flock which is one of the reasons he spends his outdoor time on the lead.

All Dogs are wannabe scourges , the lead helps , but if the chickens not fenced and is running all over the village then there shouldn't be any come back in my opinion. I've noticed quite a few Chicken coups and runs in our Village , so maybe things are changing here slowly.

you can let it off the lead at the next hash, it'll be a wannabe scourge of humanity then. we've had a few Dogs attend , seem to help drag there owners around, great for the Hill climbs I would think.

Yeah, sorry, kinda hijacked your thread there, slightly off-topic but it was my bad day/week/month story! :)

Seems with your duck saga you've at least had some dialogue and established that the dog 'owners' are decent folks. Shame you had to lose all your ducks but hopefully she'll take better care of her dogs in future, having just said that I realise that's probably not going to happen! :D she'll just wait till someone else loses ducks then kill the dogs! Shame really 'cos the dogs don't know they're doing anything wrong, just saw a tasty looking duck and ate it.

Don't worry about Hijacking this thread. Anything goes in my opinion. I'm one of the worst for Hijacking threads anyway. maybe second only to Scea. ;-)

It does seem to be the way things go in the Chiang Rai forum. who's complaining :D ............. Oh, yes. me I suppose , its a complaining thread :D

The Dogs never eat the ducks, just rip the back out of them and leave them to suffer . if they actually ate them I wouldn't mind so much. There usual diet of sticky Rice sucks. Its interesting how they didn't take the chickens (yet). I think they have a novel way of training the dogs not to kill chickens , maybe it would work for Ducks but I suspect it would have to take place just after the kill. I've heard they super heat the dead chicken that the dogs just killed and stick it down the Dogs throat, the Dog associates Chickens with intense pain in future.

aversion therapy for dogs? I didn't realise they just killed the ducks! Not good. I did wonder how come the roaming dogs in the soi didn't kill/eat the roaming chickens, I've had many thoughts about killing the lot of them as the barking/crowing spreads from somewhere in Laos to the south of Thailand via the Thai family's house as i tried to sleep! Next week I'll have the added joy of twice nightly feeds for the tiny new cat and dog additions to our family!

I had a bad day today.

But I actually started to love bad days quite some time ago.

Why?

Because the next day is usually a better day... :D

Yeah it's all about the contrast I suppose :D

That's what the guy who clamped my car said to me 'it can only get better mate!'

yeah, cheers :)

actually a Decent Fella !? :D:) . Thats Ok then I suppose Biff. I was thinking Bullet and between the eyes but , Ok. now he's a decent fella, I'll leave it at that ;-) . Its not a Job I could do and sleep at night though.

The good thing about the average speed camera's is that its possible to remember where you are after the first camera and then reduce your speed drastically , or stop . I've done that a few times.

Yeah, it was my fault for not making sure the original ticket was sorted out. I know how these things come and bite you in the arse after a while so I should have dealt with it. He could have just towed the car as soon as he saw it but he knocked on about 5 doors in the street first, then left a note with his number on it. I called him and he came back and gave me a day to sort it all out, which is as decent as he could be, given his job.

Time was when you could cut the things off and move the car somewhere else but these days it just gets the old bill involved and charges of criminal damage, and once you get the local constabulary involved they have a tendency (round here anyway) to 'mark your card' as it were! also means he will definitely tow it.

I couldn't do his job either but each to his own I suppose.

The average speed cameras they're installing is on a road that has a petrol station on it so I reckon we'll be seeing lots of people parked up for a while till their average goes down, kind of defeats the object of driving fast in the first place which is getting somewhere quickly!

I had a bad day today.

But I actually started to love bad days quite some time ago.

Why?

Because the next day is usually a better day... :D

Yeah it's all about the contrast I suppose :D

That's what the guy who clamped my car said to me 'it can only get better mate!'

yeah, cheers :D

I'm not sure I follow both your logic Guys, I understand what your saying but , sometimes in my world anyway, the next days even worse. :D

and whats to stop the Barsteward from clamping your car tommorrow. He would wouldn't he . barsteward :D

you don't have my Inlaws I suppose :)

Wifes just got off the phone with another flangs wife , who's also having marital strife . She's been on the blower for about 4 hours. Wifes face is like a smacked arse or atleast more smacked than usual. His infedelity is going to be my fault also, even though we've only met a couple of times. I can sense the tension already.

No tommorrows going to be a really bad day also :D

he could try and clamp it again tomorrow but he'd end up wearing the clamp! Enough is enough! I guess it could get worse, I sincerely hope it effin well doesn't!

I am always thankful for having my girlfriend, even though we're living so far apart she always cheers me up on the phone when I've had a bad day. I had a feeling she was a 'keeper' when I first met her, we were out on the town and I ran out of money so I assumed she would also be running out, but when the ATM just laughed at my request for funds she took her last 400 baht out of her account and gave it to me. Last time I went to stay with her I turned up a bit short of cash too, had to wait a week till more funds arrived in my bank but she, and the rest of the family, didn't care.

Now all I have to do is get through this week, move house, sell the car, do well in a job interview and get on the plane on Saturday night, easy!

I shall prevail!

A few years back my farang neighbour bought a German Shepherd bitch that very quickly decimated, nay… more like nine in ten than one, the local chickens.

Most of them belonged to my father in law who loved them dearly; family lore has it that he rates them along with his grandchildren.

Her owner has a “village squire” attitude to the locals and lets his dogs do as they please; he’s paid heavily for several cows in the past.

Now por has an unfortunate tendency to take the law into his own hands when upset, something that lead to a considerable period as a guest of His Majesty in the past, so a family council of war was held.

Soon after my neighbour, who employs most of my wife’s family, went to Krung Thep for a week and left the dogs in my wife’s brothers’ care. After he returned, that dog never chased another chicken.

She looks at them and her intelligent ears go up but she never makes a move in their direction.

In her owner’s absence, some sort of educational process had occurred. I shudder to think what it was but it was certainly effective.

A few years back my farang neighbour bought a German Shepherd bitch that very quickly decimated, nay… more like nine in ten than one, the local chickens.

Most of them belonged to my father in law who loved them dearly; family lore has it that he rates them along with his grandchildren.

Her owner has a “village squire” attitude to the locals and lets his dogs do as they please; he’s paid heavily for several cows in the past.

Now por has an unfortunate tendency to take the law into his own hands when upset, something that lead to a considerable period as a guest of His Majesty in the past, so a family council of war was held.

Soon after my neighbour, who employs most of my wife’s family, went to Krung Thep for a week and left the dogs in my wife’s brothers’ care. After he returned, that dog never chased another chicken.

She looks at them and her intelligent ears go up but she never makes a move in their direction.

In her owner’s absence, some sort of educational process had occurred. I shudder to think what it was but it was certainly effective.

Yeah, I've heard of several ways they do it, don't know if its true or not but they certainly do something educational and painful for sure. Its such a shame :)

Biff, Good luck with your week. if I'm still here when you've settled in, we'll have to meet for a couple of Jugs of Beer or Coffee or something.

Biff, Good luck with your week. if I'm still here when you've settled in, we'll have to meet for a couple of Jugs of Beer or Coffee or something.

Yes mate, that would be nice. Dunno how far you are from Chiang Saen where I'll be for most of my all too brief visit, but we're in Chiang Rai City for a couple of days next week too :)

Edited by bifftastic

Yes mate, that would be nice. Dunno how far you are from Chiang Saen where I'll be for most of my all too brief visit, but we're in Chiang Rai City for a couple of days next week too :D

let us know when your in town nearer the time, if not town then I spend a few days a week not a million miles from Chiang Khong, which is not a million miles from Chiang Sean :)

Yes mate, that would be nice. Dunno how far you are from Chiang Saen where I'll be for most of my all too brief visit, but we're in Chiang Rai City for a couple of days next week too :D

let us know when your in town nearer the time, if not town then I spend a few days a week not a million miles from Chiang Khong, which is not a million miles from Chiang Sean :)

Will do :D the itinerary (volacnos permitting) is; Saturday/Sunday fly to Bangkok Monday/Tuesday/part of Wednesday come to fully understand why i don't want to swap one huge sprawling urban conurbation for another one (and meet up with a mate and get some paperwork sorted at some suburban Amphur) Wednesday night fly to Chiang Rai, spend a couple of days in town then head up to the Moo Ban by the river to re-acquaint myself with the squawking/howling night chorus :D so, if any of that coincides with your plans or whereabouts it would be nice to share a jug or two, I think it should be beer :D

(I'll have four wheels when in CR but reduced to 2 small scooter wheels by the time we get to Chiang Saen)

Couple of beers it is. probably thurs or fri. I need to get to town more anyway. Let me know when your in Chiang Rai if your still up for it.

That volacnos is certainly causing some grief . Been looking for a flight to UK, bloody expensive.

you should nip in and see Khandahar. He's having an Ornamental Garden Pond Dug at the moment. Its going to be a nice Job too :)

Edited by jubby

I didn't say I was having an ornamental garden pond dug. I said I was going to see the Monumental Guards on Phan Dung. We have already returned from that trip. It was a disappointment. Save your baht.

Jubby is still having a bad week but now his hearing is going as well. Ornamental garden pond dug! HA!

Edited by kandahar

Who's Dug? Is he coming too? Will it be a monumental event? Or ornamental? or just mental?

seems like a small gathering is in order :) I would suggest a venue but I don't know any so I'll leave that to the residents :D We're staying at The North Hotel which is, I believe, fairly central so any location is fine by me. Friday sounds good, the 4 wheels are going back in the afternoon so it's looking like the brunch, hospital visit, lounging about (possible nap, knowing my, and my g/f's, penchant for a siesta) then beer with beer followed by beer in the evening. Looking forward to it :D

P.S. lounging about/siesta could well be substituted for shopping dependent on hormonal balance/my (perceived) behaviour leading up to that point

Ornamental Garden Pond! I have never heard about that before!

Very interesting! Is it the Garden that is Ornamental or is it the Pond that is Ornamental?

So Kandahar, is this a very costly operation to start an Ornamental Garden Pond?

When will it be finished?

Are you going to have the monks to bless your new Ornamental Garden Pond?

And are you going to have an "New Ornamental Garden Pond Warming" ?

And what are we bringing to the "Warming"?

Live fish? What fish do you prefer? What size and what color?

Shall we bring beer? Food?

Looking forward to the event!

Just give us date and time and we will be there!

Thank you!

post-29230-1273755672.gif

..... post-29230-1273755672.gif

.......... post-29230-1273755672.gif

Edit: Is there some special dress for an Ornamental Garden Pond Warming?

Sorry, I am not very updated about dressetiquette...

Edited by svenivan

Personally, I think having a monument and guards is over-doing it, but it's his pond. Maybe Jubby could borrow the guards to keep the dogs/in-laws at bay?

I hope he posts some photos too :)

Edited by bifftastic

The police wont be available for guards today, they are busy with the state of emergency.

Well, I've just checked out the local force and they don't seem to have heard of it yet though, at least the one working on his car hadn't, the rest of the gallant band hadn't arrived for work at that stage.