All sorts of things about Chiang Rai

SWEDE CHIANG RAI

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much would be written, but it might be fun.

No need to go into town anymore for the latest gossip.

But I think it could be combined with Chiangmai.

Chiangrai expat news:

The old "Bierstube" of Karl-Heinz (since 1986 or so), not far from the buss-station, night-market, Wiang-Inn and the Funny House, got a new life.

It is now named "Bo's Place", but everybody still uses the old name.

It is a bar-restaurant and suddenly everybody is going there. A very pleasant, open and friendly atmosphere, created by Dutch Erwin, who assists his wife in keeping the guests happy.

Good music, not too loud, free snacks (cheese and Chiangmai-Günthers meat) and a Chiang draft for 35 Baht.

And for the people who remember the old situation: A brandnew powderroom and a clean kitchen! Superb Hamburgers.

Local expats but also Chiangmai visa-runners start to show up here.

Chiangrai is a very little town compared to Chiangmai.

Everything moves slowly. Last week I was a couple of days in Chiangmai and I felt like a farmer coming to the big town. Chiangmai is much more fascinating than Chiangrai and more people speak English. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing in Chiangrai.

I think Dutch people are the biggest group among the expats. Swedish people about six I think.

Not only at Songkran but also during trekkings in the rainy season it is a good idea to protect your cellphone against water.

Plastic bags are not always the best way to do so. Better is the use of a condom. A condom is less slippery than a plastic bag and you can talk right through it.

For people with a big old-fashioned one I can recommend the "Comfort" made by Durex. They offer more space.

In Chiangrai you can buy them in the old-style pharmacy on the corner of the little street which goes from the mainstreet to the night-market. Opposite the big restaurant "Aye's Place" and with the Kodak shop on the other corner.

Welcome to Chiangrai!

Quite a few new hotels opened their doors lately in Chiangrai.

Check the area of the old airport if you have your own transport.

Prices about 400 Baht (with aircon, tv, aso). Some nice entertainment in the neighbourhood as well.

About hundred meter after the old Bierstube the "Diamond Hotel" opened.

Twenty minutes walk from the bus-station. Brandnew and I met some people who were very satisfied with it.

Warning! Clocktower not anymore there where it used to be.

Before, if you wanted to explain the location of a place, the clocktower of Chiangrai was the starting point. It was the point of orientation.

At the moment a lot of people are walking around with desperation on their faces: They lost their way completely!

What happened?

THEY MOVED THE CLOCKTOWER

It is now standing between the market and the Post Office.

At the old location they are building a new clocktower. The municipality of Chiangrai put ten million Baht aside to realise this project (ten million!).

The design looks as if it is made by Chalermchai Kositpipat, the creator of the white temple of Rong Khun.

The towncouncil of Chiangrai has decided to put emphasis on the fact that Chiangrai is a Buddhist town. What will it be? Pak chi roi naa or will it touch our souls within a near future?

Chiangrai expat news:

The old "Bierstube" of Karl-Heinz (since 1986 or so), not far from the buss-station, night-market, Wiang-Inn and the Funny House, got a new life.

It is a bar-restaurant and suddenly everybody is going there. A very pleasant, open and friendly atmosphere, created by Dutch Erwin, who assists his wife in keeping the guests happy.

Good music, not too loud, free snacks (cheese and Chiangmai-Günthers meat) and a Chiang draft for 35 Baht.

And for the people who remember the old situation: A brandnew powderroom and a clean kitchen! Superb Hamburgers.

Everything moves slowly. Last week I was a couple of days in Chiangmai and I felt like a farmer coming to the big town. Chiangmai is much more fascinating than Chiangrai and more people speak English. Sometimes I wonder what I am doing in Chiangrai.

I think Dutch people are the biggest group among the expats. Swedish people about six I think.

Limbo,

Thanks for replies, all very interesting. I was in fact in Bo's Place today! Very much OK, both farang and Thai food.

And the clocktower really is a funny story; somebody even stopped drinking out of confusion late one night; all his bearings were suddenly gone.

But THE MAIN THING is that there's no news in English that I know of about Chiang Rai. There was a week-long festival here some time ago - I heard about it only about the last day (I don't have a Thai Partner).

What's lacking is some basic news about What's On in Chiang Rai, like the stuff you just wrote. Not just for us living here, but for all the backpackers that pass through, and the day trippers from Chiang Mai.

Frankly I don't understand what Chiang Mai has got to do with this sweet, pleasant, QUIET, relatively unpolluted, beautiful town?

Again, thanks.

PS Limbo to what? Just curious.

Limbo, I use to stop at the funny house is it still there run by Klaus and wife?

I dont go thru anymore as have 1 year visa so havent been by in a year or so

Thanks- :o

Chiangrai expat news:

Limbo, I use to stop at the funny house is it still there run by Klaus and wife?

Yes, they still do. Klaus put up some weight and didn't go to the barber for a long time. So be sure it is him. The girls, his daughters are doing well.

Tonight (and probably for two days to come) there is a OTOP festival at the street of the bus-station. Fruit and other dangerous stuff will be promoted.

My name Limbo reflects the fact that I am still wondering why I am living in Chiangrai (since 1986 a yearly visit, but permanently since 97). I am 'in limbo' so to say. Furthermore I come from the most southern province of the Netherlands, Limburg, which culturally belongs to Belgium.

I was in Bo's Place as well to-day. I popped in for one beer, an Erdinger Weizzen, but left with four and some whisky's behind my teeth.

Australian Rod was there, Charles, who is an American but one of which you don't notice it (he is a gentleman and softspoken) and Italian Alfonso. Cor and Richard representing the Dutch.

You must have been earlier there. My name is John and I am a push-bike compagnon of Erwin.

See you next time! The first one is on me!

No, I only know the old one close to Pratu Chiangmai.

It is not really recommendable anymore.

In the rooms at the town side you wake up too early because of the noise from the loudspeakers of the christian school. En when they finally are ready the tessaban takes over. Finally, after the national hymn at eight, you can try to take a nap again.

A lot of mia noi's are parked there and they love to party when sugardaddy is out of town.

So: Too noisy.

"But THE MAIN THING is that there's no news in English that I know of about Chiang Rai. There was a week-long festival here some time ago - I heard about it only about the last day (I don't have a Thai Partner).

What's lacking is some basic news about What's On in Chiang Rai, like the stuff you just wrote. Not just for us living here, but for all the backpackers that pass through, and the day trippers from Chiang Mai."

Du har absolut rätt. Rättare kunde du inte ha!

Also the local Thai newspapers are not helpful. They come out every two weeks and the space between the advertissements is mainly filled with events which happened in the past.

The social structure of Chiangrai consists of islands, of 'cliques'. Not only the 'farang' world, but as far as I can observe also the Thai world. Communication goes inwards. Within the own group. In accordance with the social structure of Thai society in general (vertical versus horizontal).

A while ago there was the opening of an art-exhibition in the gallery of the Rajabhat. The students of the art-faculty (on twenty meters distance from the gallery) organized a barbeque at the same time. They were not informed about the opening. In my opinion they not only should have been informed, but invited.

No, two different cliques, the Mae Fah Luang group with Nakorn Pongnoi and (of course) Thawan Duchanee and Chalermchai Kositpipat maybe didn't even realise that there was an art-faculty next door.

To invite the art-students of next door for an art-exhibition? Nobody even thought about that.

A lot of things happen, but mostly you hear afterwards about them.

Chiangrai needs a good magazine. When I last met David of "Good Morning Chiangmai News" he talked about an eventual version for Chiangrai. I will contact him one of these days and ask him if this train is still on its rails.

"Frankly I don't understand what Chiang Mai has got to do with this sweet, pleasant, QUIET, relatively unpolluted, beautiful town?"

I wished there was more interaction between Chiangmai and Chiangrai.

I am sure Chiangrai would benefit from it and maybe Chiangmai as well, but that is not my department. I think about cultural exchange, art, film, theater.

The official cultural sector (average age above sixty) is very incestuous by nature. And they hold the funds.

But there are a lot of younger people with good idea's and an open mind. With very small means they sometimes manage to create something which is refreshing in this climate. But it is always incidental.

The first theater of Chiangrai, programmatically feeded from Bangkok and Chiangmai, lasted for three months. Always the same twenty faces came to see.

Big banners over the street and soundcars driving around. Those are the most important means of information. I think you have to go to the local police authorities to ask permission and they decide if it is worthwhile.

Greetings!

When I walked around at American Barry's (read the Royal Thai Airforce) golf-course at the old airport I heard a sound which sounded as 'fy fan'.

It might be a sign that some Swedish expats are hanging around there.

I heard that very good steaks are served there as well.

For now it is only a driving range, but the work is going on to change this oldest and long time only golf-course of Chiangrai into a tip-top one.

Also the regular army has its golf-course, at the formerly imfamous Hom Doi . Quite cheap to play as I heard.

Santiburi is of course one of the toppers in Thailand, about sixteen kilometers out of town on the road to Thoeng (crossing Mae Kon at the super-highway).

Next year the building starts of another topper. Threehundred rai are bought already. It will be in Pattana Mai on the road to Doi Mae Salong and Therd Thai, about five kilometers from the superhighway.

To play golf might be a reason for the Chiangmai people concerned (Thai or farang) to spend some days in quiet Chiangrai once in a while.

But it is a very fine area for (mountain-)biking as well. If you choose the right roads you might encounter a car only every ten minutes. Once a year (mostly end of February, beginning of March) we have the International Mountainbike Challenge of Chiangrai. Great fun, a lot of Japanese, Taiwanese, Malaysians, people from the clubs of Chiangmai and Chiangrai and one Dutchman.

This year no Dutchman, I didn't dare anymore, but some nice British and Americans.

Was there today; mr Klaus and mrs Kitiya still in residence.

Changes? No, same as before. Why change...? Etc.

It's a matter of taste. People get tired of Chiang Mai in the same way that you get tired of Bangkok. Chiang Rai is a rest from the hustle and bustle; fascinating in that way. One major downside of Chiang Rai is certainly lack of farang type infrastructure, like good bookshops with lots of farang language books etc. You can't for example find the IHT in Chiang Rai (with that new Thai news edition).

About second-hand bookshops with English, German, Swedish or Dutch books in Chiangrai:

A rather new one, owned and run by a gentleman who was running a guesthouse in Chiangmai before. You take the small soi going from the bar- and restaurantstreet to Boonbundan guesthouse (next to the Wat Yed Yod). At the end, at the T-crossing you go to the right and follow the signs. About 8000 titles.

Another one is close. From the same Wat Yed Yod you pass the Tourist Inn, Japanes owner (famous for its fantastic bread, sometimes you have to order before) and a little bit further on the left you have the second second-hand bookshop in Chiangrai. I didn't visit it yet.

DK, Duang Kamon, you find in Aphi-Square, next to the office of TOT where you might pay your phone bills (close to Hi-Yaek, King Mengrai Monument). Don't mix it up with Aphi-Plaza at the Sanam Bin Road. A lot of English language books. Nice shop to stroll around, but a baby compaired to DK in Chiangmai.

The oldest and very well-sorted and nice bookshop you find on the Tannalai Road, the main street crossing Chiangrai from East to West (or the other way around).

It is the crossing with the dental clinic on one corner, a computershop on the other and a shop for police clothes opposite. Twenty meters from the dental clinic. They are also known for being able to order any book you want.

At your service!

Talking about the Tannalai Road.

We thank the Tannalai Road and the complete Chiangrai street-pattern to Dr. Briggs, the founder and director of the Overbrook Hospital a little bit more than hundred years ago.

He was on very good terms with King Rama IX. Dr. Briggs had also the Sala Klang Kao build, the big colonial style building behind the Post Office and opposite the Wat Phra Singh. It was the provincial office of that time, a dependance of Payao.

Overbrook was (maybe still is) a little town in the United States of America, where people, mostly presbyterians (a protestant group), put the money together to enable Dr. Briggs to build this hospital. The original building is the one on the corner direction Dusit Island. It is used as office now.

King Rama IX gave foreigners an important role in controlling the north.

We all know Captain Jensen, born in Denmark in 1878, the policeman of Chiangmai, a Hero of Thailand (King Rama IX honoured him with an obelisk on the foreign cemetry of Chiangmai).

But Captain Thorwaldsen, Dane as well, is not as famous. He was the policeman of Chiangrai. I don't know if he was heroic too, but the stories tell that he was very nice to the children. He worked with the stick and the candy so to say. His descendants living in Chiangrai now carry the name Thorangkoon.

By the way: the Tannalai Road was at first paved with stones of the old town-wall.

The piece of town-wall at Hi-Yaek is a copy, standing at the wrong place (the police of Chiangrai influenced the decision where to replace the wall with traffic-security in mind) and erected in the late fifties with funds from the German government.

""It's a matter of taste. People get tired of Chiang Mai in the same way that you get tired of Bangkok. Chiang Rai is a rest from the hustle and bustle; fascinating in that way.""

Yes, you are right. Chiangrai has certainly to offer something to Chiangmai people visiting. And many of them do, on visa-runs or not. It is a nice destination for a trip of a couple of days. Chiangrai Province is also Chiang Saen, Chiankhong, Maesai and so on. It is not only Chiangrai Town.

And for Chiangrai people Chiangmai is fascinating. I think the both Chiangs should be in the same group, named Northern Thailand or so. But I don't think it will happen. Because I am afraid we are the only ones thinking about it and that Chiangmai people won't read a Chiang Rai Forum anyhow.

Maybe they would ask about hotels and where you can get a good massage and things like that.

I think farangs in different parts of Thailand have some differences. And Chiangmai and Chiangrai farang have something in common.

We'll see.

Latest news from Chiangrai Province. One kilometer before Maesai on the left, not far from the bus-station they started to build what soon will be the first Tesco Lotus in the province.

Chiangrai town has now already a Big C and a Macro.

Also the arrival of Tesco Lotus doesn't go without protest.

"Go Home Lotus" the signs tell us in Maesai town.

Chiangrai had five chinese families deciding what you could buy in Chiangrai and at what price. They got some help to get the foundation of the Macro delayed. Playing on national sentiments, some naughty actions, that style.

They managed to do so for some years untill the Governor finally went in.

The same story will repeat itself in Maesai. Some people are going to loose at least half of their turn-over and they will try to obstruct matters and things.

There is a lot of money in that area. The wealthy people of Tachilek send their children to, partly, private schools in Maesai. And soon they will be shopping in Tesco-Lotus. The Maesai banks hold a lot of accounts of Burmese people who choose to deposit their money in Thailand.

A good English teacher needed in Mae Sai. Preschool-level. 25.000 Baht a month.

About three hours teaching a day but presence during the whole day required. Willing to prepare materials. Help with finding a house.

Montessori-oriented. Three languages, English, Chinese and Thai.

Partly Burmese children from well-to-do homes.

Preferably qualified.

Send me a note with some information about yourself.

PS. The salary is the same as that of the average foreign teacher at Mae Fah Luang University.

Latest news from Chiangrai Province. One kilometer before Maesai on the left, not far from the bus-station they started to build what soon will be the first Tesco Lotus in the province.

Chiangrai town has now already a Big C and a Macro.

"Go Home Lotus" the signs tell us in Maesai town..................

The signs I saw all over Maesai said, "Lotus Goes Home".

Did they change all of them because of the improper English? or are you journalistic ethics just a bit tarnished here?

"Go Home Lotus" the signs tell us in Maesai town..................

The signs I saw all over Maesai said, "Lotus Goes Home".

Did they change all of them because of the improper English? or are you journalistic ethics just a bit tarnished here?

Hahaha, no, wrongfully I didn't trust my girlfriend who informed me about it.

I thought she had been reading the signs wrong.

Tesco-Lotus expects to open its doors in October (as my girlfriend told me).

Limbo and Swede Chiang Rai,

I for one greatly appreciate your posts

I have a place in Chiang Rai but cannot get over there

as often as I would like to :o

Its really good to hear your views and get the info

that you have posted

I agree Chiang Mai is a nice place to visit

but give me Chiang Rai any day

tung tsz