All sorts of things about Chiang Rai

SWEDE CHIANG RAI

Warning! Clocktower not anymore there where it used to be.

Before, if you wanted to explain the location of a place, the clocktower of Chiangrai was the starting point. It was the point of orientation.

At the moment a lot of people are walking around with desperation on their faces: They lost their way completely!

What happened?

THEY MOVED THE CLOCKTOWER

It is now standing between the market and the Post Office.

At the old location they are building a new clocktower. The municipality of Chiangrai put ten million Baht aside to realise this project (ten million!).

The design looks as if it is made by Chalermchai Kositpipat, the creator of the white temple of Rong Khun.

The towncouncil of Chiangrai has decided to put emphasis on the fact that Chiangrai is a Buddhist town. What will it be? Pak chi roi naa or will it touch our souls within a near future?

I can confirm now: The designer IS Chalermchai Kositpipat (some beautiful pictures of his Wat Rong Khun can be seen in the photo-topic of Chiang Rai Forum).

The building site, consisting of a rather modern looking concrete construction (why not leave it that way), is recently enriched big very big 'artist-impressions' of the clocktower it is going to be. After looking at a concrete skeleton for some months we should define this as a sign of progress. Probably there is a delay and the residents of Chiang Rai are compensated for this by these bill-boards.

It is going to be hundred procent Chalermchai style (see his paintings, graphics and of course the temple mentioned before). It carries his signature all over.

This time his signature is written in gold!

My first thought is to interprete this almost as spiritual poverty.

A beautiful piece of art, which it certainly is going to be, doesn't need an additional (and symbolic) coating of gold. It speaks by its form.

The rich decorations of Wat Rong Khun give an overwhelming impression just because of the fact that a neutral color (white Portland cement) in combination with small pieces of mirror (from Belgium) is used.

This soberty in the choise of material gives the temple a kind of transparancy which directly accentuates its unique shape.

But we shouldn't forget that the Eiffeltower harvested a lot of critics as well when it was built. Then the period of acceptance came and finally it was embraced by all Parisians.

Limbo.

Sorry Gentlemen and Thaising in particular :o , I moved this old posting of another work of Chalermchai to this topic, but expected it to show up at the bottom and not at the top.

This topic is first of all about the White Temple and only secondly about its creator Chalermchai.

Limbo (completely a-technical)

Edited by Limbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the information Mr. Limbo, or do i say Drs. Limbo, as allways very detailed. very correct.

Thanks erg, by the way chang35bath ????? can you give some info on him, or is this not done...

hmmm...why ?

Well the thing i like about these pages is that we dont know who we are talking to, on the other hand, this makes curious also.

In my favorite hangouts we love to talk about this, and we are guesing who is who.

Ill guess we will never really find out, maybe thats what makes it exciting.

hmmm...why ?

Well the thing i like about these pages is that we dont know who we are talking to, on the other hand, this makes curious also.

In my favorite hangouts we love to talk about this, and we are guesing who is who.

Ill guess we will never really find out, maybe thats what makes it exciting.

If I`m guessing right Erwin,OOPS!! Sorry, Erg, you know me already, and I thought you only had 1 hangout. :o Hey Jude, don`t make me sad.

• 1 month later...

On my search for the Founding Father of the Chiang Rai Forum, Mr. SWEDE CHIANGRAI, I found a lot of persons who are not.

The only thing I suspect is that he (himself!) possibly visited Bo's Place last Sunday.

He might have spoken with a soft Scandinavian accent (Swedish perhaps?).

Anybody got a clue?

Limbo.

On my search for the Founding Father of the Chiang Rai Forum, Mr. SWEDE CHIANGRAI, I found a lot of persons who are not.

The only thing I suspect is that he (himself!) possibly visited Bo's Place last Sunday.

He might have spoken with a soft Scandinavian accent (Swedish perhaps?).

Anybody got a clue?

Limbo.

I've got a clue myself! I'm back in town efter having had to spend much too long a time in Sweden. I've discarded the pretentious signature SWEDE CHIANG RAI, mostly because I in my abysmal technological stupidity couldn't even get in there and keep posting. So now it's Ottokar. "Eih bennek, eih blavek!"

By the way, everyone who's promised to buy the first one when we meet should take the opportunity to do so right now, since I'm on the wagon and might fall off pretty soon, after all Xmas is coming up.

My compliments to Limbo who so admirably monitors the forum!

King Rama the IX is the current King - His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej. I believe you were referring to King Rama the IV (King Mongkut)?

Talking about the Tannalai Road.

We thank the Tannalai Road and the complete Chiangrai street-pattern to Dr. Briggs, the founder and director of the Overbrook Hospital a little bit more than hundred years ago.

He was on very good terms with King Rama IX. Dr. Briggs had also the Sala Klang Kao build, the big colonial style building behind the Post Office and opposite the Wat Phra Singh. It was the provincial office of that time, a dependance of Payao.

King Rama IX gave foreigners an important role in controlling the north.

We all know Captain Jensen, born in Denmark in 1878, the policeman of Chiangmai, a Hero of Thailand (King Rama IX honoured him with an obelisk on the foreign cemetry of Chiangmai).

King Rama the IX is the current King - His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej. I believe you were referring to King Rama the IV (King Mongkut)?
Talking about the Tannalai Road.

We thank the Tannalai Road and the complete Chiangrai street-pattern to Dr. Briggs, the founder and director of the Overbrook Hospital a little bit more than hundred years ago.

He was on very good terms with King Rama IX. Dr. Briggs had also the Sala Klang Kao build, the big colonial style building behind the Post Office and opposite the Wat Phra Singh. It was the provincial office of that time, a dependance of Payao.

Thank you Toybits, we mixed up.

I mistakenly mentioned King Rama IX, you mistakenly mentioned Kng Rama IV.

As the Overbrook Hospital and the Sala Klang Kao are built 1903 - 1905 we both have to compromise: It was during the reign of the Great King Rama V.

But I am sure that together we made a great contribution to the historical awareness of the Chiang Rai expat communty :o

Limbo.

I've got a clue myself! I'm back in town efter having had to spend much too long a time in Sweden. I've discarded the pretentious signature SWEDE CHIANG RAI, mostly because I in my abysmal technological stupidity couldn't even get in there and keep posting. So now it's Ottokar. "Eih bennek, eih blavek!"

By the way, everyone who's promised to buy the first one when we meet should take the opportunity to do so right now, since I'm on the wagon and  might fall off pretty soon, after all Xmas is coming up.

"Eih bennek, eih blavek"

This needs an explanation. It sounds suspiciously close to "hier bennik, hier blijfik!", which is Dutch and means "here I am, here I stay!" (här är jag, här stannar jag!").

I disregard the other possible explanation "an egg I am, an egg I remain"!

Please shed some light in this darkess.

Limbo.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, everyone who's promised to buy the first one when we meet should take the opportunity to do so right now, since I'm on the wagon and  might fall off pretty soon, after all Xmas is coming up.

"Eih bennek, eih blavek"

This needs an explanation. It sounds suspiciously close to "hier bennik, hier blijfik!", which is Dutch and means "here I am, here I stay!" (här är jag, här stannar jag!").

I disregard the other possible explanation "an egg I am, an egg I remain"!

Please shed some light in this darkess.

Limbo.

It's king Ottokar's motto. You know, "King Ottokar's sceptre", by Hervé, written (and illustrated) during WW2. It must, as you point out, be a travesty on "hier bennik, hier blijfik" (which you so faultlessl translate inte Swedish; how come you know Swedish? Apart from hearing the yells at Barry's driving range?)

I suppose "King Ottokar's spire" had a special meaning during the German occupation?

It's king Ottokar's motto. You know, "King Ottokar's sceptre", by Hervé, written (and illustrated) during WW2. It must, as you point out, be a travesty on "hier bennik, hier blijfik" (which you so faultlessl translate inte Swedish; how come you know Swedish? Apart from hearing the yells at Barry's driving range?)

I suppose "King Ottokar's spire" had a special meaning during the German occupation?

Just some days ago I saw Thai translations of the Tintin (Kuifje) series. If it wasn't in Nan it must have been in Chiang Rai. They were not the obscene ones, but the real ones. I was highly surprised to see them, after fifty years, translated into Thai.

As soon as I recollect my memory I will inform you.

I am an old friend of Cornelis Vreeswijk, one of the most if not THE most famous Dutchman in Sweden.

Limbo, Söderkis och senare 'Lundensare'

I am an old friend of Cornelis Vreeswijk, one of the most if not THE most famous Dutchman in Sweden.

END QUOTE

Cornelis... a genius. I have a CD with me here, somewhere.

I tried to get hold of you in Bo's Sunday before last. I guess you were in Nan. This coming Sunday I'll have the doors locked and bolted and try to corner you.

You might tip off some Belgian media that Hervé is finally being translated into Thai. Worth a small news item? As you say one wonders why now, so many years later?

END QUOTE

Cornelis... a genius. I have a CD with me here, somewhere.

I tried to get hold of you in Bo's Sunday before last. I guess you were in Nan. This coming Sunday I'll have the doors locked and bolted and try to corner you.

You might tip off some Belgian media that Hervé is finally being translated into Thai. Worth a small news item? As you say one wonders why now, so many years later?

This forum exists now for about half a year and I am sure never a more stupid question has been asked:

Does anybody know where in Chiang Rai I have seen the 'Tintin' (Kuifje for the Dutch) comic books? :o

I am sure I didn't dream it!

Please check the bookshop in Big C when you are there, it's my best guess.

Have mercy!

Limbo.

• 4 months later...
Today i found in big c bookstore 2 strips of TIN TIN(kuifje) original from herge someone knows where i can find more titles i have (le crabe aux princes d"or -les cigares du pharaon)

In the mean time they have five Tin-Tin titles already in Big C's bookstore. I would love to be able to read them again, but they are in Thai.

Funny, written about fifty/sixty years ago in Belgium and now appealing to Thai kids.

Little Pam took the book, started reading and after five minutes she switched of the television.

You ever saw a kid voluntarily turn of the television?

Even Dr Kwanthep (see under 'dental care in Chiangrai') couldn't resist the temptation.

They cost 150 Baht and are an ideal present to parents. Sometimes even to the children themselves.

Nice to have on your table. A Tin-Tin book on your table makes you look younger. Much better than these glossy magazines about housedesign, cars and golf (especially when your house looks like shit, you are driving in a pick-up and you only played golf twice in your life).

Lucky Luck and the Dalton Brothers next?

Limbo :o

Today i found in big c bookstore 2 strips of TIN TIN(kuifje) original from herge someone knows where i can find more titles i have (le crabe aux princes d"or -les cigares du pharaon)

Don't know Tin Tin.

I was a Beano and Dandy kid.

• 6 months later...

Hi Svenivan,

I merged Jozef's Tin Tin topic with this one, but to my surprise it ended up above your posting where I expected it to come after it.

Anyhow, the information is there.

In the mean time I must have bought at least eight different titles in the Big C bookshop.

They have a lot of nice illustrated books for children.

Funny, they are between 50 and 60 years old, but the Thai kids love them as we once did.

Limbo :o