Thai Forces Fire Warning Shots In Standoff With Red Shirts

webfact

Maybe the soldier got shot by friendly fire, but what source does BBC have? Was the reporter at the scene?

Arwa Damon from CNN was at Phahonyothin earlier, right behind the soldiers. She moved down to Rajprasong now.

BBC is quoting CNN. CNN is quoting "police". Police don't appear to be saying anything.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I thought it was Wednesday today, never mind, ...."in the dessert you can't re,member your name .... either :D

Tensions rise Tuesday at Rajprasong

Tensions rise at red shirts's Rajprasong rally site after hundreds of troops and police were deployed to the area and sounds of explosions were heard sporadically.

More troops were seen on Henry Dunant road near Chulalongkorn University and at Silom intersection.

Roads surrounding the rally sites were reportedly closed.

Officials and people in Chulalongkorn hospital were told to remain inside the hospital. Reporters were allowed to go inside the hospital for their safety.

The hospital's entrances and exits were closed.

Speaking through megaphones, troops told the protesters who wanted to go home to leave the rally site immediately.

Earlier a group of red shirts claimed that they spotted soldiers inside Chulalongkorn University. They demanded to go inside the hospital and checked. However officials refused to meet their demand.

Oh, they just corrected it. :)

Edited by elcent

I don't know, I'd trust CNN and BBC any day over a news company that uses twitter bloggers as their source and types like a 13 year old using words like 'u' and 'yrself'.

That's where they get their info too, only from the UDD Twitter.

To confirm, this is the first sentence from the BBC

"One soldier has died, reportedly from a shot fired by a member of the security forces, and at least 10 people have been injured. "

Source: BBC News

Isn't the quality of CNN and BBC going muddy now? I remember the time when things were backed up by pictures/clips. Now they run more on hearsay than facts. They're trying hard to appear different to the mainstream and start cheating like Reuters did years ago.

Shame on them ...

I don't know, I'd trust CNN and BBC any day over a news company that uses twitter bloggers as their source and types like a 13 year old using words like 'u' and 'yrself'.

You do a great injustice by your comments here! You really shouldn't slur 13 year olds by comparing them to the journalistic "skills" of the Nation - most of their reports - especially the "Breaking News" could easily have been written in a more understandable manner by a 5 year old.

THE NATION: Rajprasong reds r almost in panic. Rumours buzzing about imminent crackdown. "What's our leaders doing?" many shouted

I don't know what channel The Nation is looking at, but the one I'm watching is showing Rajprasong quite calm. The Nation, please don't create more panic than there already is in the city.

I wonder if it's time to re-evaluate the dangers of rubber bullets. If my count is right, 26 people have now died and over 800 have been injured by rubber bullets. Maybe live ammunition should be used instead...maybe it's less dangerous.

:)

And they wonder why tourism numbers are low.

More blood on the Red's hands.

Your sumit else mate

the guy shot in the head was by friendly fire let me spell that out for you

that means he was shot by his own men not red shirts

And of course, you have a source and evidence for that statement....

BBC is reporting it friendly fire CNN is reporting it friendly fire only the Nation is not being clear on it

Al Jazeera is not reporting it as friendly fire.

Great pictures on tv of about 50 military all firing in sync what look like shotguns at red shirts (unarmed) on motorbikes

You must be a really sick mind. They killed one of their own men. Shooting into people is not "great" unless you are blessed with a very low social IQ

No warning shots at all, simply shooting with sharp. The not so smart soldiers killed one of their own, when soldiers on motorcycles were returning.

Every source reported warning shots fired earlier --- not that they are needed.

Joined yesterday huh?

No warning shots at all, simply shooting with sharp. The not so smart soldiers killed one of their own, when soldiers on motorcycles were returning.

Joined yesterday huh?

Can you post a link to that source please? For those of us who missed it. Thank you.

Edited by deadsnoopy

Joined yesterday huh?

any chance of saving the debates for later as to why and keep this one politically free?

anybody on the ground in Saladaeng?

Great pictures on tv of about 50 military all firing in sync what look like shotguns at red shirts (unarmed) on motorbikes

You must be a really sick mind. They killed one of their own men. Shooting into people is not "great" unless you are blessed with a very low social IQ

What you onna bout

On the BBC they are showing what looks like at all out war with 50 military all shooting at the reds with shotguns looks like something from a war movie

According to news reports, the army are stepping up presence around Rajprasong, possibly for a crackdown tonight. In my opinion, pushing the protesters out of Rajprasong could back-fire. Right now they're somewhat peacefully 'stuck' there, but pushing them out of Rajprasong will make them spread all over the city.

back fire ........that is an understatement............pushing them out of Rajprasong will lead to them to going underground :)

IRA and ETA style and that will scare the tourists even more. Its stupid and shortsighted. Just hold and election.

Pathum Thani Clash: Soldier Suffers Serious Gunshot Wound to Head

The face off between the red-shirt protesters at Thai Market in Pathum Thani Province and soldiers continue.

Reports have indicated that both the red-shirt protesters and soldiers have been injured during the clash which broke off earlier today.

INN has also reported that one soldier has suffered a serious gunshot wound to the head.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-04-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

See the title of this thread ........

There is an ongoing LOCKED thread for newsupdates.

What you onna bout

On the BBC they are showing what looks like at all out war with 50 military all shooting at the reds with shotguns looks like something from a war movie

"looks like", mentioned twice in one sentence, does not show a great confidence in what you are stating

Pathum Thani Clash: Soldier Suffers Serious Gunshot Wound to Head

The face off between the red-shirt protesters at Thai Market in Pathum Thani Province and soldiers continue.

Reports have indicated that both the red-shirt protesters and soldiers have been injured during the clash which broke off earlier today.

INN has also reported that one soldier has suffered a serious gunshot wound to the head.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-04-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

red or yellow...pink, white or any other colour you mention is not important. Violence is violence and both red shirts and yellow shirts are to blame. Get together and talk. Bullets no good, verbal is good.

AP report

Along Vibhavadi-Rangsit road, riot squads fired into the air to push protesters back but several tried to remove the razor wire, prompting troops to level their rifles and shoot directly at protesters who fled into oncoming traffic. Police huddled behind riot shields, while soldiers wielding rifles took up positions behind concrete pylons. A heavy afternoon downpour halted the fighting, at least temporarily.

The confrontation was chaotic and at one point security forces fired on a group of troops riding toward them on motorbikes in what appeared to be an accident, although some members of the security forces have been accused of siding with the protesters. At least four motorbikes crashed and one soldier was carried away on a stretcher, bleeding profusely from the head. Several others from the group threw their hands in the air.

At least 10 protesters wounded in the clash were treated for minor injuries at the nearby Bhumibol Adulyadej Hospital, the hospital said.

Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said that troops were told to use rubber bullets but had authority to use live ammunition for self-defence.

"At this point, there is too much chaos for anybody to constantly report what kind bullets they are using," he said.

"We brought force out to stop them. At this point, society finds it unacceptable to have protesters traveling in a motorcade like this," Sansern said. "We try our best to prevent losses."

According to news reports, the army are stepping up presence around Rajprasong, possibly for a crackdown tonight. In my opinion, pushing the protesters out of Rajprasong could back-fire. Right now they're somewhat peacefully 'stuck' there, but pushing them out of Rajprasong will make them spread all over the city.

Its stupid and shortsighted. Just hold and election.

Stupid and shortsighted? Every time someone disagrees with your country's leadership do they drop everything and hold an election?

I understand that the moderators need to be cautious during this time of unrest and sympathize with the difficulties they face doing a thankless job. Since we're no longer permitted to post and discuss news clippings in the General Forum, I thought I'd bring a story to your attention here. Abhisit told the BBC on Tuesday why he won't call for a new election.

Thailand crisis: Red-shirt protesters and troops clash

On Tuesday Mr Abhisit told the BBC that while he wanted a political solution to the crisis, immediate elections were not the answer.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8648109.stm

What you onna bout

"looks like", mentioned twice in one sentence, does not show a great confidence in what you are stating

Just watch the BBC news then DH

I understand that the moderators need to be cautious during this time of unrest and sympathize with the difficulties they face doing a thankless job. Since we're no longer permitted to post and discuss news clippings in the General Forum, I thought I'd bring a story to your attention here. Abhisit told the BBC on Tuesday why he won't call for a new election.

Thailand crisis: Red-shirt protesters and troops clash

On Tuesday Mr Abhisit told the BBC that while he wanted a political solution to the crisis, immediate elections were not the answer.

"There is a clear threat that if we hold elections too soon, with the mood running as high in terms of divisions and in terms of tension, elections would turn violent and they would solve nothing and we could be back into this vicious cycle of demonstrations."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8648109.stm

He forgot to add he would also lose and he dont want that right now