Parking Ticket

zippydedodah

Just after i was boasting to our out of town guests that i had not seen a single vehicle given a parking ticket or being towed.....

YUP... came back to my car and i had a ticket!

hahahahahaha.... my wife explained that the sign clearly said no parking during rush hour, but had failed to tell me this when i parked there, cuz i always ignore stuff like that and try to be sabai sabai in my driving and parking attitudes.

anyways... she read the ticket and cannot figure out:

1) where to go pay it

2) how much we have to pay

there is no phone number on the ticket to call for info....

any suggestions?

You were extremely lucky not to get clamped. 6am-9am and 3pm-6pm clearways usually attract a fine of 400 baht but that's if you are clamped. Mae Ping police station is "clamp central" for clamp fines.

Parking fines always have the time/date of the offence, issuing officer, and an address. Are you sure it's not just a warning?

I think it depends on where you go your ticket. Both the police stations mentioned above issue parking tickets and clamp vehicles, as, I believe do others.

I tend to agree with Maejoman, are you sure its an actual ticket? usually you get clamped in those zones.

I would have thought the issuing police station would be on the ticket. I'd get your wife to check.

Bad luck by the way!

it has a big red stamp on it, gives place, date and time.... and says must be paid in 7 days. The only address it gives is Chiang Mai Traffic Dept.... no address or phone number. Again, as mentioned, no amount for fine.

At this point, i might just scan it in tomorrow morning and post it and see if someone can tell me. I mean, i don't fancy going into a police station and asking, as that has potential to cost money just because i am uninformed (did not say stupid!).

thanks for the tips.... will give it some thought

no good at delayed gratification....here is picture of the thingpost-34078-1272547309_thumb.jpg

Edited by zippydedodah

it has a big red stamp on it, gives place, date and time.... and says must be paid in 7 days. The only address it gives is Chiang Mai Traffic Dept.... no address or phone number. Again, as mentioned, no amount for fine.

At this point, i might just scan it in tomorrow morning and post it and see if someone can tell me. I mean, i don't fancy going into a police station and asking, as that has potential to cost money just because i am uninformed (did not say stupid!).

The main traffic department for payment of fines is at the Mae Ping police station. Just before the Narawat bridge on your left as you exit the Wararot market. There is an office there just for payment if fines, and they do a roaring trade. You will also receive an official receipt.

even if it is a real ticket and the Mae Ping station is the real place to pay..... i feel a bit like a fish out of water, just walking up to a window and saying: How much should i pay?!?!?!?!

I mean, is that a set up or what?

why don't they have the cost of the fine for the ticket printed somewhere on the back or something? like civilized people do it!

oh, that's right... i forgot, This is Thailand! Me and my silly western ways need to just man up and go to the window i guess!

thanks

Just seen the attachment, and yes it's the real thing. You were booked at 4.00pm on a clearway. Mae Ping is the place to go, and you could well get away with a couple of hundred baht seeing that there was no expense to send someone to unclamp you. My last clamping on a clearway was 400 baht so expect the worst. If they ask for more question it.

Edit:- when you go in just hand them the ticket, and they will then ask for your driver's licence...shuffle their papers and tell you to go and pay at the window, where you will get your licence and a receipt.

Edited by Maejo Man

thanks for the final approval of ticket..... i guess i now join the ranks of the elite "ticketed, but not clamped".... hope it stays that way.

and hope my california driver's license is acceptable..... sounds like i might get a out of country driver license surcharge if i am having a really good day!

keeping my expectations low on this one...

Just seen the attachment, and yes it's the real thing. You were booked at 4.00pm on a clearway. Mae Ping is the place to go, and you could well get away with a couple of hundred baht seeing that there was no expense to send someone to unclamp you. My last clamping on a clearway was 400 baht so expect the worst. If they ask for more question it.

Edit:- when you go in just hand them the ticket, and they will then ask for your driver's licence...shuffle their papers and tell you to go and pay at the window, where you will get your licence and a receipt.

Wouldn't it be more sensible to send your wife to pay it? Reduce the risk of an inflated figure, and teach her to tell you next time!

The licence should not be a problem, it's the revenue they are after!! The other alternative is get the wife to take the ticket in, and she might even get a Thai rate, but I doubt it. The ticket was issued to the "driver" so it could have been anybody :)

Hah! I was typing this while BWPattaya was posting....

Edited by Maejo Man

I had a clamp several years ago as I parked on Moon Muang during the day to have a bite to eat. Grabbed a tuk-tuk and he took me to the station near Wat Pra Singh where I paid 400 baht. Perhaps it is not important which station as they just radio it out to remove the clamp, or perhaps it is jurisdictional?

Wouldn't it be more sensible to send your wife to pay it? Reduce the risk of an inflated figure, and teach her to tell you next time!

The licence should not be a problem, it's the revenue they are after!! The other alternative is get the wife to take the ticket in, and she might even get a Thai rate, but I doubt it. The ticket was issued to the "driver" so it could have been anybody :)

Hah! I was typing this while BWPattaya was posting....

This is VERY sound advice!

ask how much the fine is and you may hear this เท่าใดคุณได้?

just to wrap up the tale:

we went to Mae Ping Police station as advised. The thai wife went in alone, as advised.

She approached the window, presented the ticket, and the officer said to her (in thai) the exact words: Two hundred or four hundred?

She seemed perplexed for a second, then promptly decided it was better to pay less, so, without asking any questions as to WHY there was 2 choices....she said 200.

He asked for her national ID card (no drivers license requested), shuffled papers (as predicted) sent her to pay window, where she paid 200, got receipt and ID and left.

Meanwhile, i was out in the rear parking lot where some thai police decided they needed to practice english and were asking me "why here", where get ticket", what time.... and other practical phrases.

All in all, a valuable experience and i thank everyone for their words of advice.

just to wrap up the tale:

we went to Mae Ping Police station as advised. The thai wife went in alone, as advised.

She approached the window, presented the ticket, and the officer said to her (in thai) the exact words: Two hundred or four hundred?

She seemed perplexed for a second, then promptly decided it was better to pay less, so, without asking any questions as to WHY there was 2 choices....she said 200.

He asked for her national ID card (no drivers license requested), shuffled papers (as predicted) sent her to pay window, where she paid 200, got receipt and ID and left.

Meanwhile, i was out in the rear parking lot where some thai police decided they needed to practice english and were asking me "why here", where get ticket", what time.... and other practical phrases.

All in all, a valuable experience and i thank everyone for their words of advice.

Excellent lesson.

Thanks for the report. :)