Pasteurs New And The Grass Is Always Greener!

Hi all,

I would imagine there are quite a few teachers at the moment who are doing the daily grind in a frustrating gig thinking 'I've had enough of this I need a break from teaching here and want somewhere that pays me a semi-decent wage where I can actually save a little'.

I would appreciate any of the regulars who still engage on the forum and are themselves actually elsewhere at the moment to give me some guidance if they would.

I am in this position of wanting and needing a change having recently quit at the end of the school year worse off than before I started (and I'm not a spend thrift). Problem is after setting out with the 'we are in demand everywhere' myth and mindset and skimming the endless language school vacancies on Dave's esl etc , reading the horror story posts about places such as Korea (which appear endless) not to mention the mini-soap opera in getting a work visa there now apparently. I've ended up in mental no mans land!! It quickly ends up feeling like 'you are in demand everywhere as long as you don't expect more than a bowl of the white stuff everyday'!

I also can't be the only one who has the added complication of trying to find somewhere in which my girlfriend (Thai) can go on a tourist visa or 4 through a 1 year contract.

Anyone in the same conundrum happily or well, working elsewhere feeling at least 25% better than before they jetted off, your pertinent suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this jaded soul!!!!

Mak

Not going to get rich teaching abroad. :D

Unless you are lucky enough or qualified enough to hook up with an international school which provides you a western style wage then you really should ask yourself what you are in this for.

If the gf is love then you have choices to make. If not, and you want to haul the gf all over the world in your travels as a teacher abroad, then you will always be doubling up your visa fees and headaches. :D

As for money and savings I've found: if you work in a major centre you can expect higher expenses and distractions, cost of living, etcetera. Just one of many reasons why I prefer rural-but-near-enough locations. My last five month term in China I still banked $2000USD on a $600USD a month wage. It's lifestyle and planning. :D

Anyway, if you think you've been sold on a swan song then perhaps you were just looking for something or somewhere other than where you were. Have you considered going back to school? Always good for the mind. Often a good means to change occupation. :D

Sure the demand is there, but so is a lot of bs. Sift and sort, sift and sort, give everyone a chance and keep on smiling. :D

It's all about letting go. :o (Monty Python comes to mind here....)

When you're unemployed and job hunting, even a good resume and well polished shoes can lead nowhere. It's partly timing and the luck of the draw. Sometimes it's foolish employers with unrealistic notions of the supply-demand-price curve, or foibles about haircuts, skin color, accent, etc. I'm amused at the job ads that don't want a hillbilly or cockney accent but then they'll accept a Frenchman or a Romanian who has a terrible accent. I've just met two Europeans (non-native speakers of English) - one speaks incredibly accent-free and resembles Leonardo diCaprio; he'll get hired. The other guy has an accent just tricky enough to be a problem. Then there's the Brit or Aussie who has a strong non-standard accent but will also get hired because he resembles another famous actor.

I'd like to think I'm a cross between a pony-tailed Paul Newman and an almost-blond Richard Gere, but neither of them has my pot-belly......

When you're unemployed and job hunting, even a good resume and well polished shoes can lead nowhere.  It's partly timing and the luck of the draw.  Sometimes it's foolish employers with unrealistic notions of the supply-demand-price curve, or foibles about haircuts, skin color, accent, etc.  I'm amused at the job ads that don't want a hillbilly or cockney accent but then they'll accept a Frenchman or a Romanian who has a terrible accent.  I've just met two Europeans (non-native speakers of English) - one speaks incredibly accent-free and resembles Leonardo diCaprio; he'll get hired.  The other guy has an accent just tricky enough to be a problem.  Then there's the Brit or Aussie who has a strong non-standard accent but will also get hired because he resembles another famous actor. 

I'd like to think I'm a cross between a pony-tailed Paul Newman and an almost-blond Richard Gere, but neither of them has my pot-belly......

That's strange. I believe you- but that is still strange to me. Why would good looks matter to a classroom full of children..of any age? I can see looks playing a factor in occupations such as sales or PR..but teaching? Why is that the case in Thailand? From my knowledge, atleast of the U.S., that certainly is not the case.

Because Thailand is all about appearance. Be it the mobile phones, to the Mercs (that they can't really afford). The more you look like a teacher, the more you'll (generally) be accepted as a teacher. One of the reasons native speakers of colour have problems 'cos they don't 'look' like a native speaker.

This ain't America (for better and worse) and IMO there is a completely different attitude towards teachers here (i.e. in the US they're a lot more casual and non-formal often wearing 'normal' clothes).

Ahh the joys of Thailand!

Wise words from Ken and Blondie.

To the OP: If you have qualifications and experience, the Middle East can still be pretty good for stashing away some savings and giving you a breathing space in which to take stock of your life (something I found very difficult to do in Thailand). The world can seem a much more benign place if you have a reasonably healthy bank account. You will need a master's to be considered for some of the better positions, but it is still possible to find jobs with just a bachelor's, TEFL certificate and a few years experience. Try the companies, rather than schools or colleges.

In the more liberal places like Bahrain, UAE, Oman and even Qatar, you should be able to sweet-talk your employer into sponsoring a visit visa for your Thai girlfriend (call her your fiancee). Do not be put off by what you may read about these places on some of the Thai discussion boards - usually posted by people who have never even set foot there. Given the right location and employer the Middle East can offer a far superior lifestyle to Thailand, in my experience. And I am not just talking about money. This is particularly true of Bahrain, the UAE and Oman.

Alternatively, China can also be good in that most employers offer benefits unheard of in Thailand (free accommodation, air fare, visa fees, travel allowance, computer with internet connection - sometimes also free utilities and even food). They also demand significantly less in terms of working hours and give much better holidays. Loads of work around. If you have a TEFL certificate and experience, you should also be able to negotiate a better salary than those you see advertised. Thais usually have no problems getting visas either. If your employer is unwilling or unable to help, agencies in Hong Kong would probably be able to get her 3 to 6 months without too much difficulty.

If you need more information on China or the Middle East, send me a PM. Good luck.

Edited by Rumpole