BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jingthing

How Old Were You When You First Tasted Raw Fish Sushi?

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sushi may be flash frozen where you eat it (7-11?), but that is laughable in Japan at most of the sushi/sashimi restaurants and seaside villages/cities.

There are plenty of places that sell sushi outside of Japan these days and most make sure that it has been frozen to prevent parasites. whistling.gif

Never.

Well! when you eat snails / frog legs / horse tartar / sushi look very bland

Did you try snails Peaceblondie ?? D.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s

Horse tartare? OMG, congratulations, you've reached deep into my DISCOMFORT zone! Have tried snails and frogs, snails taste good with the garlic but once was enough, frog tastes like chicken but its too weird for me, once was enough.

Horse tartare? OMG, congratulations, you've reached deep into my DISCOMFORT zone! Have tried snails and frogs, snails taste good with the garlic but once was enough, frog tastes like chicken but its too weird for me, once was enough.

Yes, you are right Jingthing, it is not a nice thing to do ! did not know better at this time, was a kid. Use to have a lot of horse meat shops, they was separated from the beef boucher, i am not touching now to horse / bear / long life animal / young animal (veal) and some other !

i saw yesterday in the restaurant next door, a customer bringing a pet rabbit with her, we smile, i was ready to tell her in France we like to eat rabbit .. be i refrain hahaha

i love to much dogs to think so people can eat them.

Forgot to said frog legs is not the same if made with toad or the cute green type frogs :)

Edited by simcity

Rabbit is good eating.

Never, as PB says, Had caviar a few times, does that count? If its cooked, I will try it but raw meat goes against my rural upbringing.

Never, as PB says, Had caviar a few times, does that count? If its cooked, I will try it but raw meat goes against my rural upbringing.

Caviar is generally salted/processed so it probably doesn't count.

Had "horse tartare" at a fancy Japanese sashimi restaurant in Miyakanojo, Kiyushu. As usual, the Japanese business host did the ordering without my input. Good thing, because he paid for it too ($300 a plate). Just as disgusting as sushi, except very red and marbled with a lot more fat than I would have expected.

On the same business trip had "chicken tartare" in a mountain restaurant. Slices of raw chicken artfully draped over small mounds of sushi rice. Maybe artfully draped, but still disgusting to feel the slimy morsel in the mouth. Seeing my extreme surprise at raw chicken on any restaurant menu, my Japanese business associate assured me, "These are very clean chickens that the restaurant raises on its property. No disease." Oh great. Really helps to force it down.

Actually, to get through such a meal with a smile and no grimacing, great quantities of sake are a prerequisite!

Edited by toptuan

Have not gotten around around to sushi yet, been meaning to try it before I get old.

Had dog up north but it was so spicy i could not tell what it tasted like but it was very stringy. Rabbits great, horse is too sweet.

Anyone tru Fugu fish yet ?

I look at one once !

Guilty. In Yokohama, had it boiled, steamed and as sashimi during one restaurant meal. Not impressed. Not dead, either. :)

Named my kid after a salmon pool on the river Tweed : aka Maxwell. This should give you a hint as to the Mrs' fondness of smoked salmon.

I like it a lot but not everyday.

BTW OP, I have never tasted un-raw fish sushi, how is that?

Named my kid after a salmon pool on the river Tweed : aka Maxwell. This should give you a hint as to the Mrs' fondness of smoked salmon.

Smoked salmon sushi is rather common. Also veggie sushi. It's like sushi without the raw fish, not too hard to imagine.

Smoked salmon sushi is rather common. Also veggie sushi. It's like sushi without the raw fish, not too hard to imagine.

Ok ok mate, just like non-alcohol beer is still beer. Why don't you a poll like...

When you think of the word sushi what comes to mind?

1 - Raw fish rolled up in rice and seaweed.

2 - Veggie pieces rolled up in rice and seaweed.

:)