Bangkok: Price Differences For 7d

desi

I went to Pantip Plaza and checked out the price for the 7D (body only).

First time - around 43,000

Second time - 42,500

I also checked around Bangkok.

44,000 - 49,000

When asked about the 49,00, the guy claims that the much higher price was due to geting a warranty from Canon.

I've run into this in other countries, where the product is brought in without warranty (refrigerators and such).

Does anyone know how this works in Thailand? Is it just minus warranty in Thailand? Or elsewhere? When pressed, he was not clear.

Btw - I'm getting a 7D tomorrow, so I would really love to hear what anyone has to say.

The cheaper ones are direct imports from Japan and the warranty is indeed not covered by Canon Thailand, but maybe by Canon Japan, not sure, which would mean that if any problem, you need to send your camera to Japan.

The higher priced ones have a Canon Thailand warranty that is valid in Thailand and internationally.

Thank you. I bought a Canon KISS, no problems in the year+ I've had it.

So I guess it makes sense to get the cheaper camera.

Especially as the warranty the are offering is only for one year anyway.

A 6000 baht warranty for one year seems steep.

Worse comes worse, even if you have a problem, you can still pay for the repair.

I actually bought the one with warranty, was about Baht 5000 more expensive at that time, from Foto File, just because I'm risk adverse and was not sure about the shop selling the cheaper version.

I'm a little iffy about shops in Pantip also, but mostly for computers.

What can they do with cameras?

I'll be sure to check out the camera carefully before I buy it though.

Make sure it comes from a sealed box (if that is possible).

There is one more thing to consider for some of us in case you buy a Canon 7D Camera imported from Japan in Thailand:

These Cameras have only the choice between English and Japanese Language in the Menu! And this is not depending on the firmware, the other menu languages are still missing in case you upgrade the firmware.

Might not be an issue for all, but for some.

Sunny

Edited by Sunny Valentine

Especially as the warranty the are offering is only for one year anyway.

A 6000 baht warranty for one year seems steep.

Well, for expensive things, I'm a warranty kind of guy, so take that into consideration with the following comment.

I am waiting to see what happens with the 60D, which is reportedly on the assembly line now.

But either way -- with electronics (including cameras), most problems that need warranty repair pop up within the first month or so OR after long use.

I'm a little iffy about shops in Pantip also, but mostly for computers.

What can they do with cameras?

I'll be sure to check out the camera carefully before I buy it though.

Make sure it comes from a sealed box (if that is possible).

I have to admit that I wouldn't buy an expensive camera at Pantip. I would look at either one of the top rated camera stores here or at Power Buy at Central World...when it eventually reopens!

I have to admit that I wouldn't buy an expensive camera at Pantip.

This is the point actually, is Baht 5000 on a Baht 50,000 camera, i.e. 10% of the price, worth taking a risk?

But the camera would still under warranty for a year.

From what I'm understanding, I'd have to send it to Japan.

I have to admit that I wouldn't buy an expensive camera at Pantip.

This is the point actually, is Baht 5000 on a Baht 50,000 camera, i.e. 10% of the price, worth taking a risk?

But the camera would still under warranty for a year.

From what I'm understanding, I'd have to send it to Japan.

If it has a warranty, Japanese or any other, you should be safe.

What I was afraid of is getting a camera that did not pass the quality control or was returned because not working properly, and is sold on the black market.

If it has a warranty, Japanese or any other, you should be safe.

What I was afraid of is getting a camera that did not pass the quality control or was returned because not working properly, and is sold on the black market.

I have to admit that I'm worried about getting a camera that was returned as a lemon, then put back on the shelf. Decisions... decisions...

Thanks everyone. I thought about the opinions shared here, and now own a 7D.

Pix One at Fortune Tower is selling 7Ds for 44,000. With warranty.

Yeah, that place and the store just across the aisle (forget the name, but posted a thread on it) offer the best deals hands down.

Enjoy the camera...

The one year warranty is for Thailand.

Here's the difference in size between the Kiss X2 and the 7D.

I'm a girl, but the 7D is still not too heavy to handle. It feels good.

post-15902-1272792002_thumb.jpg

They said 10 hours to charge the battery for the first time... only 9.30 to go...

Edited by desi

Yeah, that place and the store just across the aisle (forget the name, but posted a thread on it) offer the best deals hands down.

Enjoy the camera...

Thanks! After doing the research, I'm looking forward to using it.

Does anyone know where decently priced lensbabies are in BKK?

I have not even started looking...

Enjoy the camera...

Thanks! After doing the research, I'm looking forward to using it.

Does anyone know where decently priced lensbabies are in BKK?

I have not even started looking...

I have a Canon mount Lensbaby 3G for sale in good condition. PM me if interested!

Sunny

Well you inspired me so I hopped over to Fortune Town & grabbed a 500D kit. It was 500 cheaper than Zoom Camera & came with a 4GB card & screen guard.

Big step up for me. Love the 3 inch LCD. Current camera was a Panasonic FZ-18.

Been a lifelong Nikon fan but now that Canon switched to SD flash they got my vote. Compact flash wasn't happening.

Life is good.

Congrats on your new camera! I too was a long-time Nikon fan (my father used Nikon all my childhood). But when I went camera shopping two years back, Canons in the same price bracket were that little bit better than Nikons in the reviews. At that time, I got the Kiss X2. This time I didn't look at Nikon, I went straight for the 7D.

Me too! But first I have to drag myself through the lengthly instructions. I have a tutorial video for the 7D and (knock on wood and the Red Shirts) I'm picking up a book tomorrow. After I get comfortable with the camera, I'm heading out with a photography teacher (one on one) to get my skills honed (there is a lot of honing to do). Btw - my photos will be going up here - the present photos were taken by a Canon Kiss X2.

wow 7d prices went so low recently, I am one of those who saved 10000 thb buying it in japan when in bangkok was 59000 thb, and I confirm that warranty is only in japan and menu are only in eng/jap, but other than that I am pretty happy with it. I also inform all of you willing to upgrade the firmaware that canon released version 1.2.1.

And please check out my new videos shot with 7d if you can: http://vimeo.com/user3262413

the link I just posted seems to works fine, if you refer to a previous link posted on "shot on 7d" thread is because I wrongly put www before vimeo but it actually doesn't need it. The correct link for that previous video is http://vimeo.com/10528732 please let me know if it is impossible to access, I have no problem to open it.

The firmware 1.2.1 as far as I know fixes the problem of magenta banding on photos taken during video shooting with some iso settings, they also extended quite a lot the heat signal while shooting video in high temperature and consequently extended the auto shut down time. I think there are other fixes with languages etc, but I am not affected as I have only eng/jap languages. I guess something more thant that but just I dont remember all now.