Retirement Visa

I will be leaving the Middle East next month for two months in England then I should like to go to Thailand on a retirement visa. Is the correct thing to get a 90 day entry from London and then apply at Suan Plu with all the requrements? the instructions are not clear. I would expect to visit the UK for three months during the summer, since I would not be checking-in at 90 day intervals I think that I would have to have some sort of exit visa, and would then have to return before the original year visa was up to reapply. I would like to continue this cycle for the forseeable future, does anyone know if this is a sound plan.

First of all, you're in the wrong forum. The mods will likely move it to where it belongs.

Your question: IMO your plan is sound given the following -

You are happy to live in Thailand (I assume you've visited before).

You have sufficient funds and/or income to achieve the living standards you desire.

You have sufficient funds and/or income to satisfy the immigration requirements.

If yes, go for it!

I will be leaving the Middle East next month for two months in England then I should like to go to Thailand on a retirement visa.  Is the correct thing to get a 90 day entry from London and then apply at Suan Plu with all the requrements? the instructions are not clear.  I would expect to visit the UK for three months during the summer, since I would not be checking-in at 90 day intervals I think that I would have to have some sort of exit visa, and would then have to return before the original year visa was up to reapply. I would like to continue this cycle for the forseeable future, does anyone know if this is a sound plan.

If I understand your question correctly, a multiple entry Non Immigrant O visa sounds good for you. Valid for a year, it enables unlimited entries into Thailand with stays of up to 90 days on each entry. If that one suits you, apply for it by mail at the Royal Thai Consulate at Hull rather than at the unhelpful Embassy in London.

For retirement (long stay) you have two choices.

One is a non immigrant O-A type visa where you qualify with money in a home country bank (for later transfer), police and medical checks and receive your 1 year stamp as you enter Thailand. You would plan entry to be at a time that you will be in Thailand in later years for the extension.

Second choice would be a visa as Pat outlined above (single or multi entry) and during the last 30 days of a 90 day entry you apply for extension of stay at an immigration office here with money in Thai bank and/or pension proof and medical exam.

When you are on an extension of stay stamp from immigration you are required to have a re-entry permit prior to any international travel to keep the extension alive (1,000 baht). You also have to report your address every 90 days while inside Thailand.