Your Favorite Coffee Shop

Question posted earlier about your favorite coffee made me think of the many brands/chains of coffee shops that have been popping up. So, for you java lovers out there, what's your favorite coffee shop? Sure, Starbucks may be the choice for many people, but I'm betting some others think the coffee is better elsewhere or maybe just as good but cheaper than Starbucks.

What you think?

I guess Sunbelt is planning a new coffee chain in Thailand :D

Friend of mine is just planning to do the same but with a "live roasting" in the outlet and a "live bakery".in there.

Gerd

So Gerd are you saying that there will be "live roasting" of Mr Bean :D

We have a "live bakery" in Lotus/Tesco in Kan BTW :)

Starbucks seems to be more about a comfortable, aircon place to hang out and read and use the computer and get a decent cup of coffee than anything else. To me it is a waste of money, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

I prefer some of the local aircon restaurants with decent pastries and sandwiches as they are more reasonably priced. However, tourists do not generally know which ones are good and feel that Starbucks is reliable.

Sure, Starbucks is a good place to hang out, lots of comfy armchairs, newspapers and good music.

But the coffee does suck. See how they make an Americano coffee. They fill up half a cup with coffee and top up with hot water!!!

If you want a nice tasty coffee, strong with half milk/half cream, try Au Bon Pain. Also about 20 baht cheaper for a large cup.

Not to mention the food.........

Sure, Starbucks is a good place to hang out, lots of comfy armchairs, newspapers and good music.

But the coffee does suck. See how they make an Americano coffee. They fill up half a cup with coffee and top up with hot water!!!

If you want a nice tasty coffee, strong with half milk/half cream, try Au Bon Pain. Also about 20 baht cheaper for a large cup.

The food can be different from outlet to outlet because they use a local supplier.

But the coffee does suck.

All the different coffee snobs have differing opinions on this, but most people think it is OK. It is kind of like the beer gourmets who claim that Heineken is terrible, but Beer Lao is great - even though they taste pretty much the same. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thaigerd -- Hardly! But personally wanted to get a sense for some of the other brands I see around.

Khunopie -- Seattle's a bit far to go for coffee!

Sorry, should have been more specific, I was asking about coffee places in Thailand....

I was a big fan of Starbucks then stopped paying a penny for his coffee! some ideological reason.

I don't know about Thailand, but in general I prefer having my coffee in local shops when traveling. else, I don't mind ordering my coffee from any decent coffee shop and enjoying new coffee/love experience =)

thanx for the post *.*

Agree, excellent coffee at Au Bon Pain.

That is how Americano is supposed to be made...

That's news to me. I'll have to go back to 'coffee of the day'.

That is how Americano is supposed to be made...

That's news to me. I'll have to go back to 'coffee of the day'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caff%C3%A8_Americano

Coffee of the day is brewed coffee, but probably using a better or more exotic coffee bean. Definitely a better choice at Starbucks.