Taken Fox News Off Here In Khon Kaen

buffaloe

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suppose it is all relative - I find all the news to be right wing. I mean, really, to expect any other kind to be disseminated seems unrealistic.

By the way, at my building we get BBC, Al Jazeera, and that French channel (has subtitles sometimes). We used to get the German channel (often in English), and Australian, but now those are lost to us. Things are closing in.. I may have to buy cable someday.

Edited by ClareQuilty

We live in Khon Kaen but was not aware that Fox News was ever freely available.

We pay for cable and Fox is one of the channels on that though I wouldn't have chosen it. How anyone can present this as an unbiased news source is laughable. It's very much like the Sun newspaper in the UK or the National Enquirer in the US, ...............i.e. entertainment with a little (highly opinionated) news coverage thrown in. It's entertainment and admittedly I do watch it from time to time, but really only rednecks and hicks would take it seriously as a news source.

I must say the references to the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation made me laugh........how anyone would describe the BBC as right wing is also laughable, to me it's left biased agenda is unwatchable, thankfully they've removed it from the cable we have.

We do have Al Jazeera but that's mostly presented by rejects from the aforesaid Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation and also unwatchable.

I tend to watch Channel News Asia on TV and otherwise follow the news via the internet.

As I have said before, none of them are unbiased, but you are right, FOX is at least entertaining. Other than the documentaries, the Bebe is just plain boring and CNN has no redeeming feature what-so-ever. In my opinion, one needs to read as many news sources as possible and you still won't get the unvarnished truth.

The thing I like about FOX is that you can watch it fairly constantly and not only get some idea of what is going on in the world, but also see some good musical groups, some pretty girls and some kooky liberal commentators getting trounced by O'Reilly and Co.. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

They didn't break any laws in exposing ACORN, otherwise they would have been arrested.

Actually James O'keefe -- the 25 year old 'activist' who posed as the pimp in the ACORN fracus -- WAS subsequently arrested for trying to tamper with the telephones in Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu's New Orleans office.

court records / FBI Affidavit only (no text) at:

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/nat...avit_012610.pdf

"Actually James O'keefe . . . WAS subsequently arrested for trying to tamper with the telephones in Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu's New Orleans office"

True, but I was referring specifically to the ACORN scandal which was a huge story with nationwide consequences that was being almost completely ignored by the lame-stream media, while FOX was covering it extensively. I used it as only one example of a pattern of big media choosing to report only on news that meshes with their political bias.

I doubt the Louisiana event will ever have the reach that ACORN did. But, it's interesting to see how FOX detractors immediately insert unrelated issues like that to deflect attention from the real criminal activity, which is apparently OK with them.

... and I was referring specifically to the orchestrator of the ACORN follies... The Louisiana event may have no other impact than to put that smug RW SOB in jail... when you receive a Federal indictment I don't see how criminal activity gets any more real than that...

besides I like FOX -- especially Gretchen.

GC00.JPG

Edited by jazzbo

"put that smug RW SOB in jail" ... Who or what is "RW"?

Sounds like you have it out for O'keefe -- does that mean that you would have preferred that he didn't expose the ACORN scandal and they were allowed to continue with their criminal activities?

He's only a messenger in the grand scheme of events.

"when you receive a Federal indictment I don't see how criminal activity gets any more real than that"

I wasn't referring to anything "real" or otherwise - simply millions of tax dollars being funneled yearly into a criminal enterprise that was nationwide. Seems that the Senate didn't like that too much when they found out about it. Without O'keefe and FOX, it's likely ACORN would still be in operation.

via Wikipedia:

An internal ACORN investigation concluded that ACORN had poor management practices that contributed to unprofessional actions by a number of its low-level employees.

On March 1, 2010, the district attorney for Brooklyn concluded that there was no criminal wrongdoing by the ACORN staff in the Brooklyn ACORN office.

An investigation report by California Attorney General Edmund G. Brown Jr. released on April 1, 2010 found the videos from Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Bernardino to be "severely edited" and did not find evidence of criminal conduct on the part of ACORN employees, with the Attorney General stating "things are not always as partisan zealots portray them through highly selective editing of reality." The report also stated, "“Even if O’Keefe and Giles had truly intended to break the law, there is no evidence that any of the ACORN employees had the intent to aid and abet such criminal conduct or agreed to join in that illegal conduct.”

As of April 2, 2010, the other ACORN videos have not been released to the public in their full, unedited form, leading to speculation that the videos have been heavily edited to distort what happened during the tapings.

I do not have it "in" for O'Keefe -- he just became a right-wing media darling after the ACORN expose and that led him to think it was a good idea to orchestrate the entering of Federal property to pull off another one -- he now faces a 6 months in jail misdemeanor charge rather than the original felony charge.

Edited by jazzbo

fox was off about 4 days.am happy to see it,s back on again.i can see some good reporting again.i see there is some conservatives in khon kaen.this month on the 28th of the month i will be here a year.will be going back to the u.s on aug 6th to visit 3 months.the ones that like fox send me a email and we will discuss what is happening in the u.s.everyone have a nice day.bill

You selected the Brooklyn and California ACORN events. The real "action" was in Baltimore and Washington D.C. -- the data from your same Wiki source on those ACORN offices appears below.

On Jerry Brown, personally I like him, but he's once again running for yet another office in Calif. ( he's held just about all of them over the years - I think this time it's Governor again).

There was a fair amount of speculation when he announced his "unbiased" :) decision "things are not always as partisan zealots portray them", that it was highly politically motivated. There's a huge contingent of "ACORNies" in Calif. that he would love to have vote for him.

In the Baltimore office, O'Keefe said that he and Giles were bringing up thirteen girls from El Salvador "like 15" years of age to live in their house and work as prostitutes "just to get them on their feet so they can do this type of thing."[48][49] Giles remarks "They are kind of dependent."[50] Although the Baltimore ACORN staffer pointed out their plans were illegal, after O'Keefe remarks "we are going to be putting a roof over [their] head" the ACORN employee states "well then you know what you can always claim them as dependents".[51] Later, the employee states "you are gonna use three of them they are gonna be under 16 so you is eligible to get child tax credit and additional child tax credit."[52][49] When O'Keefe asks "What if they are going to be making money because they are performing tricks too?" the employee replies, "but if they making money and they are underage, then you shouldn't be letting anybody know anyway."[53][49] The Baltimore employees were fired by ACORN after the video was released.[54][55]

In the Washington DC office, Giles and O'Keefe ask about how to account for the Giles anticipated prostitution income on tax forms, and Giles asks "is there a way I can make up two years of tax returns?" The ACORN employee tells her "No you can't make it up," but tells Giles that she could form a business and state that she provides a service.[56] The employee goes on to say "You can have a business. She's not going to put down that she's doing prostitution,"[57] and "you don't have to sit back and tell people what it is you do."[58][59] Giles later tells an ACORN employee that she will be giving the money earned from prostitution to O'Keefe and an ACORN employee tells them "when the police ask you – you don't know where its coming from."[60][59]

Nobody in the leadership at ACORN or ACORN itself received a criminal indictment; the only person in the saga so far (along with he 3 cohorts) to receive a (federal) criminal indictment is O'Keefe...

I really miss Linda Vester.

vester3_145s.jpg

Yup, ACORN sure looks like a fine upstanding squeaky clean operation . . . :)

The Service Employees International Union's New Orleans headquarters location that also houses ACORN is home to more than 270 related corporations and non-profits. Their main affiliate is operating out of a former New Orleans funeral home and bringing in millions of taxpayer dollars.

NOfuneralhome.jpg

Former funeral home owned by Service Employees International Union and said to house 270 groups, including ACORN

Wade Rathke, a New Orleans resident, is founder of ACORN and also founder and chief organizer of Service Employees International Union, which donated $33 million to President Obama's campaign last year.

According to the New York Times, he failed to notify police in 2000 when he learned that his brother Dale, ACORN's chief financial officer, had embezzled $948,600 from Citizens Consulting Inc., the ACORN affiliate that handles its financial affairs.

Before the demise: ACORN received as much as $10 million in federal grants last year. But it could get up to $8 billion more after the House passed Rep. Barney Frank's amendment allowing organizations indicted for voter fraud or related crimes to receive taxpayer dollars today.

Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., urged Congress to block ACORN's access to federal housing funds.

"ACORN, as you know, is no stranger to the spotlight," Bachmann said outside the Capitol. "Yet no matter how many times prosecutors investigate and even indict ACORN and their employees, they emerge unblemished as far as the federal government is concerned from having access to federal tax dollars."

Take 2:

Nobody in the leadership at ACORN or ACORN itself received a criminal indictment; the only person in the saga so far (along with he 3 cohorts) to receive a (federal) criminal indictment is O'Keefe...

As you seem to have a total disregard for the facts, I can now understand why you like FOX.

I'm simply pointing out a few facts about a sleazy operation that has had many charges and indictments against it over the years. Hardly normal activity for a legitimate "community organization" operation.

Since you'd obviously prefer to see them back in business, write your Congressman and Senator - who knows? - maybe a little lobbying from a staunch defender might help . . . :)

As for FOX, I still prefer to have both sides of the news.

And if you locate the teen brothel, please let us know.

ACORN seemed to me like the Keystome cops. My points however were simple:

You said that no one was arrested in the ACORN set-up -- I merely said that the 'investigative reporters' were in fact arrested on their NEXT caper.

You called ACORN a 'criminal enterprise' -- as they have not been indicted or convicted of any crime at the top levels, that is just your opinion...

BTW from Minnesota:

Bachmann falsely stated ACORN faces criminal charges

Minnesota Independent 4/30/09 2:52 PM Item 33804

Teen brothels? there's a few I know here in town -- if you like it while they still are wearing their school uniformns...

As for FOX News, I just remind myself that the whole operation was initially financed by The Simpsons.

You called ACORN a 'criminal enterprise' -- as they have not been indicted or convicted of any crime at the top levels, that is just your opinion...

Anybody who saw the video - on Fox News - has a pretty good idea of what Acorn was about. :)

"Teen brothels? there's a few I know here in town -- if you like it while they still are wearing their school uniformns..."

No thanks, you can keep them to yourself . . . :)

I checked with Bart and he doesn't seem to know anything about FOX financing.

bart-simpson-412.jpg

FYI:

Recent Fraud

State Year Details

AR-- 1998-- A contractor with ACORN-affiliated Project Vote was arrested for falsifying about 400 voter registration cards.

CO-- 2005-- Two ex-ACORN employees were convicted in Denver of perjury for submitting false voter registrations.

2004-- An ACORN employee admitted to forging signatures and registering three of her friends to vote 40 times.

CT-- 2008-- The New York Post reported that ACORN submitted a voter registration card for a 7-year-old Bridgeport girl. Another 8,000 cards from the same city will be scrutinized for possible fraud.

FL-- 2009-- In September, 11 ACORN workers were accused of forging voter registration applications in Miami-Dade County during the last election. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the state attorney’s office scoured hundreds of suspicious applications provided by ACORN and found 197 of 260 contained personal ID information that did not match any living person.

2008-- Election officials in Brevard County have given prosecutors more than 23 suspect registrations from ACORN. The state's Division of Elections is also investigating complaints in Orange and Broward Counties.

2004-- A Florida Department of Law Enforcement spokesman said ACORN was “singled out” among suspected voter registration groups for a 2004 wage initiative because it was “the common thread” in the agency’s fraud investigations.

IN-- 2008-- Election officials in Indiana have thrown out more than 4,000 ACORN-submitted voter registrations after finding they had identical handwriting and included the names of many deceased Indianans, and even the name of a fast food restaurant.

MI-- 2008-- Clerks in Detroit found a "sizeable number of duplicate and fraudulent [voter] applications" from the Michigan branch of ACORN. Those applications have been turned over to the U.S. Attorney's office for investigation.

2004-- The Detroit Free Press reported that “overzealous or unscrupulous campaign workers in several Michigan counties are under investigation for voter-registration fraud, suspected of attempting to register nonexistent people or forging applications for already-registered voters.” ACORN-affiliate Project Vote was one of two groups suspected of turning in the documents.

MO-- 2008-- Nearly 400 ACORN-submitted registrations in Kansas City have been rejected due to duplication or fake information.

2007-- Four ACORN employees were indicted in Kansas City for charges including identity theft and filing false registrations during the 2006 election.

2006-- Eight ACORN employees in St. Louis were indicted on federal election fraud charges. Each of the eight faces up to five years in prison for forging signatures and submitting false information.

2003-- Of 5,379 voter registration cards ACORN submitted in St. Louis, only 2,013 of those appeared to be valid. At least 1,000 are believed to be attempts to register voters illegally.

MN-- 2004-- During a traffic stop, police found more than 300 voter registration cards in the trunk of a former ACORN employee, who had violated a legal requirements that registration cards be submitted to the Secretary of State within 10 days of being filled out and signed.

NC-- 2008-- County elections officials have sent suspicious voter registration applications to the state Board of Elections. Many of the applications had similar or identical names, but with different addresses or dates of birth.

2004-- North Carolina officials investigated ACORN for submitting fake voter registration cards.

NM-- 2008-- Prosecutors are investigating more than 1,100 ACORN-submitted voter registration cards after a county clerk found them to be fraudulent. Many of the cards included duplicate names and slightly altered personal information.

2005-- Four ACORN employees submitted as many as 3,000 potentially fraudulent signatures on the group’s Albuquerque ballot initiative. A local sheriff added: “It’s safe to say the forgery was widespread.”

2004-- An ACORN employee registered a 13-year-old boy to vote. Citing this and other examples, New Mexico State Representative Joe Thompson stated that ACORN was “manufacturing voters” throughout New Mexico.

NV-- 2009-- Nevada authorities indicted ACORN on 26 counts of voter registration fraud and 13 counts of illegally compensating canvassers. ACORN provided a bonus compensation program called “Blackjack” or “21+” for any canvasser who registered more than 20 voters per shift, which is illegal under Nevada law.

2008-- Nevada state authorities raided ACORN's Las Vegas headquarters as part of a task force investigation of election fraud. Fraudulent registrations included players from the Dallas Cowboys.

OH-- 2008-- ACORN activists gave Ohio residents cash and cigarettes in exchange for filling out voter registration card, according to the New York Post. Some voters claim to have registered dozens of times, and one man says he signed up on 72 cards.

2007-- A man in Reynoldsburg was indicted on two felony counts of illegal voting and false registration, after being registered by ACORN to vote in two separate counties.

2004-- A grand jury indicted a Columbus ACORN worker for submitting a false signature and false voter registration form. In Franklin County, two ACORN workers submitted what the director of the board of election supervisors called “blatantly false” forms. In Cuyahoga County, ACORN and its affiliate Project Vote submitted registration cards that had the highest rate of errors for any voter registration group.

PA-- 2009-- Seven ACORN workers in the Pittsburgh area were indicted for submitting falsified voter registration forms. Six of the seven were also indicted for registering voters under an illegal quota system.

2008-- State election officials have thrown out 57,435 voter registrations, the majority of which were submitted by ACORN. The registrations were thrown out after officials found "clearly fraudulent" signatures, vacant lots listed as addresses, and other signs of fraud.

2008-- An ACORN employee in West Reading, PA, was sentenced to up to 23 months in prison for identity theft and tampering with records. A second ACORN worker pleaded not guilty to the same charges and is free on $10,000 bail.

2004-- Reading’s Director of Elections received calls from numerous individuals complaining that ACORN employees deliberately put inaccurate information on their voter registration forms. The Berks County director of elections said voter fraud was “absolutely out of hand,” and added: “Not only do we have unintentional duplication of voter registration but we have blatant duplicate voter registrations.” The Berks County deputy director of elections added that ACORN was under investigation by the Department of Justice.

TX-- 2008-- In Harris County, nearly 10,000 ACORN-submitted registrations were found to be invalid, including many with clearly fraudulent addresses or other personal information.

2008-- ACORN turned in the voter registration form of David Young, who told reporters “The signature is not my signature. It’s not even close.” His social security number and date of birth were also incorrect.

VA-- 2005-- In 2005, the Virginia State Board of Elections admonished Project Vote and ACORN for turning in a significant number of faulty voter registrations. An audit revealed that 83% of sampled registrations that were rejected for carrying false or questionable information were submitted by Project Vote. Many of these registrations carried social security numbers that exist for other people, listed non-existent or commercial addresses, or were for convicted felons in violation of state and federal election law.

In a letter to ACORN, the State Board of Elections reported that 56% of the voter registration applications ACORN turned in were ineligible. Further, a full 35% were not submitted in a timely manner, as required by law. The State Board of Elections also commented on what appeared to be evidence of intentional voter fraud. "Additionally,” they wrote, “information appears to have been altered on some applications where information given by the applicant in one color ink has been scratched through and re-entered in another color ink. Any alteration of a voter registration application is a Class 5 Felony in accordance with § 24.2-1009 of the Code of Virginia."

WA-- 2007-- Three ACORN employees pleaded guilty, and four more were charged, in the worst case of voter registration fraud in Washington state history. More than 2,000 fraudulent voter registration cards were submitted by the group during a voter registration drive.

WI-- 2008-- At least 33,000 ACORN-submitted registrations in Milwaukee have been called into question after it was found that the organizations had been using felons as registration workers, in violation of state election rules. Two people involved in the ongoing Wisconsin voter fraud investigation have been charged with felonies.

2004-- The district attorney’s office investigated seven voter registration applications Project Vote employees filed in the names of people who said the group never contacted them. Former Project Vote employee Robert Marquise Blakely told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that he had not met with any of the people whose voter registration applications he signed, “an apparent violation of state law,” according to the paper.

Here's how I'll spin it (Nice emoticon -- they sure make up for a lack of vocabulary):

No senior official of ACORN nor ACORN itself (RICO?) has been indicted... all the cases you cite involve contractors and low-level flunkies who were being paid on a per-register basis... and as for ACORN I say good riddance. (you sure seem to have a lot of time on your hands.)

... and it's nice to help the young girls out with money for tuition and books (and Blackberries).

"Less government, more responsibility -- and with God's help -- a better world."

Maybe if enough of you guys sign up they will start an Isaan chapter (no emoticon):

http://www.jbs.org/component/community/register

BTW I just checked and Dasa is all out of Joe McCarthy biographies -- just your style of justice..

Joseph N. Welch: "Until this moment, Senator, I think I never gauged your cruelty or your recklessness[...]" When McCarthy resumed his attack, Welch interrupted him: "Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

The big heroin/crack/speed dealers never get indicted either, but that does not mean that they are not involved.

I was trying to come up with a characterization for the above statement without calling the person who wrote it an idiot.

This will put it all in a perspective the conservatives among us can appreciate.

"The Obama administration has revealed the size of America's nuclear arsenal. The U.S. has 5,113 warheads: approximately a thousand of them aimed at China, a thousand of them aimed at Russia, and the rest, of course, aimed at Fox News."

comedian Jay Leno :)