PM Abhisit Announces Next Election Will Be Held On Nov 14

webfact

PM announces next election will be held on Nov 14

BANGKOK: --Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva announced Monday night on TV that he will hold the next election on November 14 if if his roadmap to solve the political problems is not interrupted.

He said the road map has five elements as following:

1) All parties concerned must join forces to uphold the monarchy.

2) The government will carry out national reform to do away with injustice in the economic and olitical structures.

As part of the process, the government will provide good social welfare, education, health etc, as well as other things to people suffering from other plights.

3) The government will ensure that the media will function as a constructive tool.

4) The government will set up an independent committee to investigate the deaths and injuries in clashes between troops, police and protesters on April 10, at Silom and on Vibhavadi Road.

5) The government will take actions to study the public feelings of injustice regarding to political system, especially after what happened over last few years, and try to solve the problems.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If oversee by somebody like UN this can work.

media going to very much oversee and can report outside of nation website.

last chance for mark but think it will work if CRES <deleted> (if just learn this from son in law)

over twice more than 3 months, as proposed by the protesters, but a little shorter, than abhisit declaration of 9 months.

his proposals serve at the same time, as his election manifesto - trying to catch up, what was neglected for the last 4 years

Edited by londonthai

This sounds very nice and finally unlock the situation. Also it makes really govt look like the good guys willing to compromise while the other side... Reds would be crazy to refuse after the bad days they had. However, with terrorists charges threatening and no mention of amnesty in his 5 points program, they might ask to have amnesty added as a number 6 prior to give in.

Edited by BKK-Bangkapi

Amnesty will be an issue here - apart from that, I would like to hear the objections to this suggestion. It sounds better than any other alternatives we have right now.

This sounds very nice and like a possible breaktrough ... Reds would be crazy to refuse after the bad days they had. However, with terrorists charges threatening and no mention of amnesty in his 5 point program, they might ask to have amnesty added as a number 6 prior to give in.

Yes I think this is a main point. Amnesty! Most of them out on bail already. Difficult question, but i think they must face justice, because many of their crimes is to serious.

This sounds very nice and finally unlock the situation. Also it makes really govt look like the good guys willing to compromise while the other side... Reds would be crazy to refuse after the bad days they had. However, with terrorists charges threatening and no mention of amnesty in his 5 points program, they might ask to have amnesty added as a number 6 prior to give in.

Also in the detail, needs to get all banned politicians out of the influencing. that means not just thaksin but newin and suthep for starts.

a little more than 3 months, as proposed by the protesters

What solutions were the protestors offering for all Thais, or any Thais for that matter?

They were offering nothing to anyone. Am I going crazy, but surely its nearer to 6 months not 3???

This will be well accepted by the world media and seen badly if rejected by the reds.

Cheer, Rick

Yes I think this is a main point. Amnesty! Most of them out on bail already. Difficult question, but i think they must face justice, because many of their crimes is to serious.

.. As one said, I think Thailand is more a country of global justice, where well being of a majority is more important than to put some individuals behind bars, as in the west where individual justice is more important. I think amnesty to all leaders will be granted, with possibly some "MIB" caught and locked-up later on, and let's move on :)

a little more than 3 months, as proposed by the protesters

What solutions were the protestors offering for all Thais, or any Thais for that matter?

The protesters are not campaigning they only want ELECTIONS.

This sounds very nice and like a possible breaktrough ... Reds would be crazy to refuse after the bad days they had. However, with terrorists charges threatening and no mention of amnesty in his 5 point program, they might ask to have amnesty added as a number 6 prior to give in.

At least they need to be responsible for all the financial damages they have caused. They also have to face criminal charges if they order killing or bombing that has happened

Where's the compromise?

This sounds just government BS "we're here to help you"

Abhisit is going to have to get real and act like a real leader!

Thai PM says ready to hold November elections under roadmap

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's prime minister said Monday he was ready to hold elections on November 14 to end a tense standoff with opposition protesters, subject to certain conditions under his reconciliation roadmap.

"If all five goals are achieved ... the election can be held on November 14," Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said in a nationally televised address.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-03

Published with written approval from AFP.

I think the timing and content of this speech are just about right!

If the reds don't respond in a positive manner, then i feel that the government would have international backing for sending in the troops to break down the reds camps,

I also think that if the reds refuse these terms, they will have committed political suicide, and may find themselves out on a limb.

FF

over twice more than 3 months, as proposed by the protesters, but a little shorter, than abhisit declaration of 9 months.

his proposals serve at the same time, as his election manifesto - trying to catch up, what was neglected for the last 4 years

Perhaps you will remember the election date as per constitution guidelines?

And then remember that Mr Abhisit dropped a year off of that to go for the 9 months.

Now he's down to 6 months or so.

So he's pretty much hastened the election process by 18 months. And the red shirts, after demanding dissolution of the house in 15 days, came up with a whole 3 months extension to their initial proposal.

The government drops 18 months - the reds proposed giving up 3 months. Pretty bloody good compromise for the reds, given the lack of negotiation. And a good call by the government, for they now do in fact look like the good guys, especially at a time when the red shirts are very much looking like the bad guys after the Chula debacle.

the red leaders have offered to turn themselves in to the police on the 15th. If they really do they will be out on bail quickly and can wait as long as the yellow leaders for their court cases to proceed.

Amnesty would be double standard so they shouldn't even ask for that.

the red leaders have offered to turn themselves in to the police on the 15th. If they really do they will be out on bail quickly and can wait as long as the yellow leaders for their court cases to proceed.

You foreget one thing! They are out on bail already most of them!

Well said, that!

Unless, of course, there might be retroactive amnesty....nah, that falls into the too-hard negotiation basket.

At least they need to be responsible for all the financial damages they have caused. They also have to face criminal charges if they order killing or bombing that has happened

That I certainly agree with. A few of the leaders such as Arisiman, Sae Daeng and Khwanchai should not be made for any amnesty at all. Rumor-mill (yes, I know a rumor) has it that the leaders want charges brought down to violating a city ordinance. That's a little too soft, IMHO.

Amnesty will be an issue here - apart from that, I would like to hear the objections to this suggestion. It sounds better than any other alternatives we have right now.

Amnesty for Abhisit? :) By the time the next election comes, his party will likely be dissolved and Abhisit banned from politics for 5 years.

Edited by deadsnoopy

You forget that most of the red leaders are free on bail already. I don´t know what the thai law say about commiting new crimes when out on bail?

You foreget one thing! They are out on bail already most of them!

Yes, I did forget that. Well, then they just have to face the music.....

Where's the compromise?

This sounds just government BS "we're here to help you"

Abhisit is going to have to get real and act like a real leader!

Examples of compromises, among others:

1) Grant anticipated elections in 9 months instead of end of term

2) Cutting the 1st compromise by additional 3 months

3) Listening to the others' points and opening the discussion on possible improvements on the situation

Not compromising would have been to stick to stay in office until the end of term, seal-off Redland with no supplies whatsoever, cutting electricity and water and after 2 weeks of siege crush the mob with overwhelming force.

Thai PM says ready to hold November elections under roadmap

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's prime minister said Monday he was ready to hold elections on November 14 to end a tense standoff with opposition protesters, subject to certain conditions under his reconciliation roadmap.

"If all five goals are achieved ... the election can be held on November 14," Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said in a nationally televised address.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-03

Published with written approval from AFP.

IF..........the biggest word in the English dictionary

TR @politics_mcot: Veera informed #redshirts about PM's election date and the crowd roared. However, reds will talk & decide tmrrw.

Now if the red shirts refuse this IMHO we'll have yet further confirmation of who exactly they're acting on behalf of, and it's not their followers.

/edit - Maybe he's flying right now...

Edited by Insight