I Am Terrified! I Can Not Find A Job! Help!

Now you are up the creek without a paddle,and to be honest you have not thought this out very well have you.

nuff said

You can be happy that they let you in only holding a one way ticket. Seems that you didn't even check for a job here in your home country.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks you so much everyone! I have a few pm's that have been a god send. Thank you to those people. Also peopel posting here, for the post part, have been very kind and generious to me! I have a public school done, where I was in advanced classes. I went to a private college for Russian and Physics, however that wasnt going to happen when I found out my dad was serious ill. I went home and worked, took care of my family and then after my father passed away I just kept on working. I was in a good job in America, when I met a amazing Thai, we fell in love and married in America. THen we decided to move to Thailand to allow her time to finish college here before we move back to open a business. Well, her family has old thai values and only the mother knows about me, the brothers aswell. So I can not ask them for help, and sadly most of my family has passed away in America. So yes, I agree coming here with little funds and on a dimes notice might have been foolish, but who hasnt done something foolish for love. I used all I had left to pay for a TEFL, and I am now down to enough for the next month and I am broke, no money, no food or nothing. While it might seem embarassing, i posted here about how upset I was and how I felt alittle taken by the whole o god its not a problem with no degree thing. I applied at many places, such as Bang Bon and got rejected, they said no BA means no work permit and I dont want something to go wrong in a Inspection. So I was feeling lost and unsure of what to do. I got some pm's from some lovely people who I belive will help me secure a job and be able to support myself while fullfilling a important role in Thai education. Thanks again everyone, I am greatful!

Good luck to you Nick....don't listen to negative people!

As you quite rightly said who hasn't done foolish stuff in the past when in love?

I think the few good people on here could feel your honest desperation through your words.

Onwards and Upwards :)

I am greatful!

Being a good speller does not make a good language teacher, but being a bad one will be quickly spotted and cause students to question your ability to teach them. Be careful. Good luck.

Edited by rixalex

A few of our TEFL graduates don't have a college/university degree. With our help they usually find work fairly quickly and most obtain work permits. In fact, an agency in need of 15 teachers recently contacted me; they are flexible about degrees. I'll cut and paste the contents of the email and send to you as a pm.

John Quinn

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I will second that, but you must pump out the CV to all that you can. The more you hit the better the odds of getting a job. Graham.

I see about 45 CV's a week and possibly 3 or 4 (so call it 4.5 --- 10%) have been spell-checked and have decent grammar.

If a CV is poorly done (including the cover letter) then it gets filed into the "doesn't possess an accepltable level of professionalism or English skill. That is the one-way file I keep for 6 months then empty. (Bad habit from working in countries with equal employment laws!)

(P.S. ---- I HIRE teachers ..... I am not a teacher :)

A suggestion that I will not make twice is that you keep it civil. Next poster with unwarranted and unsolicited remarks about spelling will get a warning.

As previously indicated, making trollish suggestions about the law which are incorrect (such as asserting that a degree is absolutely required for all forms of teaching in Thailand) will earn warnings. Material violating this guideline has been deleted and the first poster of such misinformation has received a formal warning. Furthermore, attempts to provoke others by unsolicited comments on spelling, grammar, etc. are against subforum guidelines. It is worth pointing out that few attempts to correct the spelling or grammar of others are usually themselves free from mistakes in those areas- a sad but common irony.

If no one has further real commentary on the topic (see OP) this thread will soon be closed.

A few of our TEFL graduates don't have a college/university degree. With our help they usually find work fairly quickly and most obtain work permits. In fact, an agency in need of 15 teachers recently contacted me; they are flexible about degrees. I'll cut and paste the contents of the email and send to you as a pm.

John Quinn

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I will second that, but you must pump out the CV to all that you can. The more you hit the better the odds of getting a job. Graham.

Graham actually needed very little support from SEE to find work. He applied to many schools after training and received quite a few offers. He now has a job in a beautiful northern town that pays more than most Chiang Mai schools. Graham is professional, impeccably dressed and hard working, so it wasn't a surprise when he told me about his success. I hope he doesn't mind me saying that he's in his 50s. I feel for many schools maturity is a big positive.

You better call home and get a one-way ticket back. If you are under forty, get back as soon as possible. Please don't waste your youth in Thailand. It has beautiful people and a wonderful culture - but for a working Farang, disaster.

Go home; work till you can retire, come back. Because if you don't have a British public education - this is a career dead-end.

Good luck

Absolutely first class advice from thaigold.

Spend your prime earning years in Farangland, save your pile and come here for holidays and when you retire. Thailand is awash with farangs struggling to get by, wasting their prime years here, earning just enough to get from one week to the next. They are throwing away their future.

Spend your prime earning years in Farangland, save your pile and come here for holidays and when you retire. Thailand is awash with farangs struggling to get by, wasting their prime years here, earning just enough to get from one week to the next. They are throwing away their future.

Most people aren't able to retire much before 60, so perhaps there's an argument that staying somewhere they don't want to be for that much of their life, just for the sake of building a nest-egg, might be throwing away the best years of their life for an old age that might never come or might be short-lived.

You talk about throwing away futures, but isn't throwing away the present as big a crime?

^Exactly. And never mind the types of people and types of life that these perpetual tourists actually get to encounter here. It's not usually real, and to imagine you can make up for an empty life in your old age- presumably because you can 'date' a younger type here- is delusional.

It is possible- though not likely- to have a genuine working life here, complete with enough money, professional development, and real people in your life.

It is possible- though not likely- to have a genuine working life here, complete with enough money, professional development, and real people in your life.

I would say not only possible but actually not that hard to achieve for anyone with a modicum of savvy.

^Couldn't agree more. I know a few people who have spent most of their working lives in Thailand, much as they would have spent their time in their home countries had they been so inclined. That is, working in stable jobs - not self-employed - earning honest decent salaries, putting money away for retirement, etc. Many went wild when they first arrived but settled down pretty quickly when the novelty wore off. Most of the people I know are now in happy marriages and are putting their children through good schools/colleges, but also enjoying life in a country they wish be in, rather than a country they wish to retire to. So it is certainly possible. Good luck to the OP. Been there, done that. Down to my last Baht 2,000 26 years ago and still here.

So? It may limit his options but it does not mean that he has no way of getting employment. In most other professions a degree is not required if you have the relevant experience. There are a hel_l of foreigners working in Thailand with valid work permits but no degree. It is up to him to sell himself (I mean that in the nicest possible way :) ), and once sold, prove himself. Obviously, if you do not have some skill set which is of use then you may be in trouble.

Edited by GarryP

You better call home and get a one-way ticket back. If you are under forty, get back as soon as possible. Please don't waste your youth in Thailand. It has beautiful people and a wonderful culture - but for a working Farang, disaster.

Go home; work till you can retire, come back. Because if you don't have a British public education - this is a career dead-end.

Good luck

Great advice, but i must ask , why are people so desperate to stay in a 3rd world country and work for peanuts, quite bizzare, .

To the OP - I've sent you a PM re a school desperately seeking one more English teacher here in Hua Hin. It's not BKK, but it really is ok (for starters anyway...).

Re "working for peanuts": I can only speak for myself, but I don't think it's bizzare to move to a "developing" country ("third world" is widely disparaged since the term no longer holds any verifiable meaning). Some of us simply want to lead a different life style and are by no means "desperate" to stay here.

I was glad to get away from my Euro 5,000 per month job in Finance and start a new and different life in the sunny tropics. Currently earning Bath 28,000 per month and happier here than I've ever been before... some of us don't give a toss about the money and just want to "enjoy life"...

Cheers

Most people aren't able to retire much before 60, so perhaps there's an argument that staying somewhere they don't want to be for that much of their life, just for the sake of building a nest-egg, might be throwing away the best years of their life for an old age that might never come or might be short-lived.

You talk about throwing away futures, but isn't throwing away the present as big a crime?

Nicely said rixalex, whats the point of life if you can't enjoy it a little? This is not a rehearsal you know, we are only here the once until we shuffle off this mortal coil, (depending upon your religious beliefs of course). Fair play to the OP for following his heart, and I hope it all ends up swimmingly for him in the long term. I'm only 43 and decided to retire here, (and I mean retire from work), because I was just so fed up with the 'rat-race' of living in the UK, the stress, the *rsehole of a govt, dog eat dog way of life, the mundane 'living to work' instead of 'working to live' attitude. Do it now while you're still young enough to enjoy it to the max with your loved one. Ihope all works out for you OP and keep positive... YOU can make it happen if you really want it!!!

Nicely said rixalex, whats the point of life if you can't enjoy it a little? This is not a rehearsal you know, we are only here the once until we shuffle off this mortal coil, (depending upon your religious beliefs of course). Fair play to the OP for following his heart, and I hope it all ends up swimmingly for him in the long term. I'm only 43 and decided to retire here, (and I mean retire from work), because I was just so fed up with the 'rat-race' of living in the UK, the stress, the *rsehole of a govt, dog eat dog way of life, the mundane 'living to work' instead of 'working to live' attitude. Do it now while you're still young enough to enjoy it to the max with your loved one. Ihope all works out for you OP and keep positive... YOU can make it happen if you really want it!!!

Good for you mate. Same goes for djayz.

I've seen enough people around me drop dead in their 50s and 60s, or simply become infirmed, to know that saving yourself for what you hope will be the good years of retirement can seriously back fire.

Just this week on Thaivisa we got the sad news about member swain. It serves as a reminder to us all that things don't always go to plan. Live for the day. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Peronally I don't have any advice for you regarding work, however I can offer you my opinion. This world is a big place and there are no rules about how and where you spend it.

When my brother was 35 he died after working a job he hated, doing all kinds of shifts working for his "retirement". Those that say spend your best years earning good money in your own country and just holiday then retire here are either jealous or plain ignorant.

Good luck to you, life isn't lived by a manual and those who work monday to friday in a job they hate are the people I feel sorry for.

Go ahead move back home, work till you are 65 and enjoy your final FEW years of retirement or live your life.

Good luck.

Agree with the above posts. Too many people spending their time thinking about the future or the past. The only time you have is now. Just be present and things should work out. From what I gather there are a number of teaching positions freeing up with fewer graduates coming to thailand to teach with all the political unrest. Good luck.

Best of luck to the OP. There are many options for you, if you just go out and find them. I moved here by choice, and I have found nothing but success because I love living here. I started with Thai bi-lingual schools, and later moved to International schools. Be positive and well-groomed with a plan and you will be okay amigo.

I would say not only possible but actually not that hard to achieve for anyone with a modicum of savvy.

Does this mean I have a modicum of savvy? Thanks!

Good luck

Absolutely first class advice from thaigold.

In all seriousness, I could never get a job at all back in Farangland - here I can. So your advice doesn't fit this farang very well.

Support for the OP and his choice is a nice gesture. I don't know if it's really helpful to him or not at this point. The OP hasn't posted in a while, so hopefully, he has found some positive leads.

I will leave the thread open for a while in case anyone has any other leads for him.

An off-topic discussion of moderation has been removed. For those familiar with its contents, it turned out that posts violating forum and subforum policies had been deleted without warning. Since a disallowed public complaint was made, I confirmed the deletion and also issued a formal warning to the offending poster. Please be aware of forum rules and subforum guidelines when posting.

I hope that further comments will return to the original discussion, otherwise it might be better to close this thread.