BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
nicknbg1981

I Am Terrified! I Can Not Find A Job! Help!

Now you are up the creek without a paddle,and to be honest you have not thought this out very well have you.

nuff said

You can be happy that they let you in only holding a one way ticket. Seems that you didn't even check for a job here in your home country.

Thanks you so much everyone! I have a few pm's that have been a god send. Thank you to those people. Also peopel posting here, for the post part, have been very kind and generious to me! I have a public school done, where I was in advanced classes. I went to a private college for Russian and Physics, however that wasnt going to happen when I found out my dad was serious ill. I went home and worked, took care of my family and then after my father passed away I just kept on working. I was in a good job in America, when I met a amazing Thai, we fell in love and married in America. THen we decided to move to Thailand to allow her time to finish college here before we move back to open a business. Well, her family has old thai values and only the mother knows about me, the brothers aswell. So I can not ask them for help, and sadly most of my family has passed away in America. So yes, I agree coming here with little funds and on a dimes notice might have been foolish, but who hasnt done something foolish for love. I used all I had left to pay for a TEFL, and I am now down to enough for the next month and I am broke, no money, no food or nothing. While it might seem embarassing, i posted here about how upset I was and how I felt alittle taken by the whole o god its not a problem with no degree thing. I applied at many places, such as Bang Bon and got rejected, they said no BA means no work permit and I dont want something to go wrong in a Inspection. So I was feeling lost and unsure of what to do. I got some pm's from some lovely people who I belive will help me secure a job and be able to support myself while fullfilling a important role in Thai education. Thanks again everyone, I am greatful!

Good luck to you Nick....don't listen to negative people!

As you quite rightly said who hasn't done foolish stuff in the past when in love?

I think the few good people on here could feel your honest desperation through your words.

Onwards and Upwards :)

I am greatful!

Being a good speller does not make a good language teacher, but being a bad one will be quickly spotted and cause students to question your ability to teach them. Be careful. Good luck.

Edited by rixalex

Best of luck to you.

I think the more valid question is has anybody done anything that isn't foolish for love!

A few of our TEFL graduates don't have a college/university degree. With our help they usually find work fairly quickly and most obtain work permits. In fact, an agency in need of 15 teachers recently contacted me; they are flexible about degrees. I'll cut and paste the contents of the email and send to you as a pm.

John Quinn

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I will second that, but you must pump out the CV to all that you can. The more you hit the better the odds of getting a job. Graham.

I see about 45 CV's a week and possibly 3 or 4 (so call it 4.5 --- 10%) have been spell-checked and have decent grammar.

If a CV is poorly done (including the cover letter) then it gets filed into the "doesn't possess an accepltable level of professionalism or English skill. That is the one-way file I keep for 6 months then empty. (Bad habit from working in countries with equal employment laws!)

(P.S. ---- I HIRE teachers ..... I am not a teacher :)

A suggestion that I will not make twice is that you keep it civil. Next poster with unwarranted and unsolicited remarks about spelling will get a warning.

As previously indicated, making trollish suggestions about the law which are incorrect (such as asserting that a degree is absolutely required for all forms of teaching in Thailand) will earn warnings. Material violating this guideline has been deleted and the first poster of such misinformation has received a formal warning. Furthermore, attempts to provoke others by unsolicited comments on spelling, grammar, etc. are against subforum guidelines. It is worth pointing out that few attempts to correct the spelling or grammar of others are usually themselves free from mistakes in those areas- a sad but common irony.

If no one has further real commentary on the topic (see OP) this thread will soon be closed.

A few of our TEFL graduates don't have a college/university degree. With our help they usually find work fairly quickly and most obtain work permits. In fact, an agency in need of 15 teachers recently contacted me; they are flexible about degrees. I'll cut and paste the contents of the email and send to you as a pm.

John Quinn

SEE TEFL

Forum Sponsor

http://seetefl.com

I will second that, but you must pump out the CV to all that you can. The more you hit the better the odds of getting a job. Graham.

Graham actually needed very little support from SEE to find work. He applied to many schools after training and received quite a few offers. He now has a job in a beautiful northern town that pays more than most Chiang Mai schools. Graham is professional, impeccably dressed and hard working, so it wasn't a surprise when he told me about his success. I hope he doesn't mind me saying that he's in his 50s. I feel for many schools maturity is a big positive.

Send cv/resume, photo to mtrschool@live.com in Rayong, they've been let down and urgently seeking a teacher.

Not having a degree is a problem in Thailand; however, they might waive requirement if you are a good teacher and also prepared to obtain a degree.

Chokdee

Now you are up the creek without a paddle,and to be honest you have not thought this out very well have you.

nuff said

That helps a lot..not!

You better call home and get a one-way ticket back. If you are under forty, get back as soon as possible. Please don't waste your youth in Thailand. It has beautiful people and a wonderful culture - but for a working Farang, disaster.

Go home; work till you can retire, come back. Because if you don't have a British public education - this is a career dead-end.

Good luck

Absolutely first class advice from thaigold.

Spend your prime earning years in Farangland, save your pile and come here for holidays and when you retire. Thailand is awash with farangs struggling to get by, wasting their prime years here, earning just enough to get from one week to the next. They are throwing away their future.

Spend your prime earning years in Farangland, save your pile and come here for holidays and when you retire. Thailand is awash with farangs struggling to get by, wasting their prime years here, earning just enough to get from one week to the next. They are throwing away their future.

Most people aren't able to retire much before 60, so perhaps there's an argument that staying somewhere they don't want to be for that much of their life, just for the sake of building a nest-egg, might be throwing away the best years of their life for an old age that might never come or might be short-lived.

You talk about throwing away futures, but isn't throwing away the present as big a crime?

^Exactly. And never mind the types of people and types of life that these perpetual tourists actually get to encounter here. It's not usually real, and to imagine you can make up for an empty life in your old age- presumably because you can 'date' a younger type here- is delusional.

It is possible- though not likely- to have a genuine working life here, complete with enough money, professional development, and real people in your life.