Northern Traffic Woes To Last Another 10 Months

george

Northern traffic woes to last another 10 months

CHIANG MAI: -- The traffic snarls induced by simultaneous construction of several underpasses along the Chiang Mai-Lamphun highway and the city’s first ring road will continue plaguing commuters for almost another year.

To make matters worse, Chiang Mai residents have duly noted that construction on underpasses at the Khuang Singh and San Dek intersections has been halted or at least delayed. Few workers have been seen toiling at the sites as of late.

Chiang Mai Highway Office 2 announced that construction on the underpass at the San Dek intersection on the Chiang Mai-Lampang superhighway has been delayed due to rising prices of iron. The construction is around 35 per cent complete, even though it should have been 40 per cent finished by now.

However, Highway Office 2 promised that the underpass construction at the San Dek and Khuang Singh intersections would be finished on time next April, as stated in the construction contract.

It also announced that construction at the Khuang Singh intersection, which is also on the Chiang Mai-Lampang superhighway, is about 40 per cent complete and on target with the construction plan.

Several road construction and improvements projects have been undertaken in Chiang Mai to improve infrastructure quality and realise the dream of turning the province into a regional aviation hub.

--The Nation 2005-06-09

It also announced that construction at the Khuang Singh intersection, which is also on the Chiang Mai-Lampang superhighway, is about 40 per cent complete and on target with the construction plan.

Which is interesting considering it doesn't seem like any work has been done there for a while.

Several road construction and improvements projects have been undertaken in Chiang Mai to improve infrastructure quality and realise the dream of turning the province into a regional aviation hub.

I'm sure as soon as word gets out on the aviation grapevine that there is now an underpass in Chiang Mai at the junction of the middle ring road and the highway to Doi Saket, British Airways will quickly add a daily Heathrow-Chiang Mai non-stop flight! :o

I'm willing to bet that they will announce that the traffic woes will last another 10 months every month for the next 6 months. Once road construction projects falter it takes a few months to straighten out the project and get it going again...and then there is usually extra work caused by the delay...like the rain has washed dirt back into the holes and the road signs have gone to h377 and have to be replaced etc. etc.

I'm sure as soon as word gets out on the aviation grapevine that there is now an underpass in Chiang Mai at the junction of the middle ring road and the highway to Doi Saket, British Airways will quickly add a daily Heathrow-Chiang Mai non-stop flight!  :o

:D

And my souces suggest that this may be in all-1st-class layout, at discount-prices, and will FULL airmiles tee-hee

Drove past the San Dek junction this morning, and for the first time in at least 4 months I saw some workers there!

Somebody must have found some spare baht to pay a few guys to shuffle some dirt around for a few days. :o

Drove past the San Dek junction this morning, and for the first time in at least 4 months I saw some workers there!

Somebody must have found some spare baht to pay a few guys to shuffle some dirt around for a few days. :o

On most of the middle ring road sections yesterday, nobody was working on the road, but one small crew was laying tile for the streetside facade.