Burma Now Visa On Arrival

Myanmar offers Visa-on-Arrival

6/5/2010

Travellers to Myanmar no longer need to endure long administrative process in applying for their entrance visa. Tourists can now obtain a 28-day tourist Visa-on-Arrival (VOA) at Yangon International Airport. The cost is US$30, and tourists need to bring two passport photos. A 71-days business VOA is available for US$40, with extensions available.

http://www.travelandleisureasia.com/travel...aonarrival.html

Edited by saintofsilence

Is true, confirmed also by a friend in the travel industry there.

Maybe US$ are a bit thin these days due to nervous tourists uncertain of the "Generals"

Sounds familiar to the probable future of another country's tourist arrivals

Not sure if the VOA works the same as it does in thailand. I heard that you still need to apply in advance through the travel agent or website, but dont need to visit the embassy, and the stamp and fees are paid on arrival.

It's true, Myanmar's Ministry of Tourism made the official announcement at the Mekong Tourism Forum in Siem Reap last weekend. I attended the forum. No need to do anything in advance, just fill out the form and pay US$30 on arrival at Yangon International.

No need to do anything in advance, just fill out the form and pay US$30 on arrival at Yangon International.

Do you mean fill out the form online, then hop on a plane and go?

Or, hop on a plane then fill out the form when you are at the airport?

If attempting this VOA one would still need to be very careful answering any question relating to employment.

On applying for the usual type of tourist visa in Bangkok last year, in answer to a question about employment I correctly stated that I was now retired, but had worked in a technical position in a TV station and had to argue for several minutes that in such position I had nothing whatsoever to do with news, policy or anything of the kind.

I won in the end, but at one stage I was sure that I was going to be shown the door!

• 1 year later...

There is a danger in reviving 2 year old posts...the Visa on Arrival was discontinued after these posts were made, with the exception of a couple airlines from specific airports, not BKK. So you better get do your homework before you leave home.

Posted with Thaivisa App

Depend on the country that you apply. In SG, the embassy accept SGD.

Thanks for the reply, what about a visa on arrival? When I went across from ranong I had to buy $10 US at a ridiculous exchange rate to pay on the Myanmar side, does anyone know if this has changed, or still the situation? Since I live in Thailand it would be ideal if a visa on arrival could be paid for in Thai Baht.

A visa on arrival is possible, but has to be pre-arranged by an approved travel agency. So, you cannot just show up at the airport, as you do in other countries.

There are some land border checkpoints at which you can enter without a visa, but you are only allowed within a few kilometers of the border.

I don't know whether the e-visa works already, they said it should work by the end of April. If anybody has done that successfully yet, please describe your experiences here.

• 2 weeks later...

For what I have found out,...

- free Visa on Arrival for citizens of ASEAN member countries will start on June 1, 2012

- visa on arrival for non-ASEAN for citizen of non-ASEAN countries have been suspended before the Burma elections in 2010 and not been reinstated since then UNLESS a travel agency is putting up a special request for you. For the rest of us, the options are either to visit the Burma embassy in Bangkok for 2 times (first time for application, office hours 09-12:00 am; 2nd time to pick up visa 2-3 days later), fee is 30 USD (I'd bet: 1000 Baht).

or the 'visa application online' scam copied from Vietnam, where you are charged 20-40 USD for a few photocopied 'letters' and then still have to pay the visa fee on arrival. The first and only site that offers this now is myanmarvisa.com but I bet 100 Baht that more will follow as soon as a few other smart businessmen arrange a deal with top-government officials. Fees are 70 USD (already including govt. fees). The processing can take up to 3 (!) weeks.

Visa online application for Vietnam is not a scam. Travellers use it everyday-it's not the same as getting a VOA without prior notification like in Cambodia, but it's relatively painless as you don't need to show up at an embassy or consulate. You simply pay a processing fee, fill out your particulars and print out a letter with your name and some others who also applied for entry on that day through that agency. You then show up at the airport (land border crossings require a visa in advance) with some US$ or dong to pay the stamp fee and a passport photo.

The Myanmar version is probably similar, but I hope they consider waiving visa requirements for more foreign nationals to encourage more tourism and business travel.

For what I have found out,...

- free Visa on Arrival for citizens of ASEAN member countries will start on June 1, 2012

Where did you find this out (source)?

- visa on arrival for non-ASEAN

No news in this paragraph.

Something essential I forgot to ask before:

since my Thai partner will accompany me and need a visa too (we'll travel before June),

would it be possible for her to bring my application to the embassy as well or do I have to show up there in person? If anyone could tell me, this would be of great help.

thanks, p.

@tombkk: simply take a look at the other myanmar visa threads. ;)

Edited by pepi2005

Don't know if this is in another thread, but possible to do same day visa service in BKK for a bit more baht. Morning drop, afternoon pickup.

Different thread indeed. This one is about visa on arrival.

In fact, VOA is not available for Westerners (unless pre-arranged by the travel agency), but should be available for ASEAN nationals travelling for business as of June. Waiting for confirmation from practitioners.