After Ampur, Anything Else ?

Hmmm ... just noticed there is no separate forum for marriage questions. Sometimes they are here, sometimes General topics, Farang Pub, etc.

Anyway .........

Did my search and no information gleened so .....

After one has a marraige regsitered at an Ampur, is there anything else that one may need or might want to be done involving your Embassy ?

For example, translating the Marriage Certificate and Marriage Document pages into your home language; English/USA for me.

Some sort of certification by your Embassy ?

Is this a step for getting the marriage formally recognized by your home country ?

Thanks

It will be a good idea to get a translation for later reference.

Registration with your embassy depends on nationality.

I am British and never bothered, but it might help later when

you wife needs a visa to visit the home country with you.

Some countries offer tax benefits for married men, so you may need the

translation for the tax man.

If you are married here you are married in the USA and there is nothing to do at the Embassy after you do the deed. As said it is good to have several translations made and certified by the MFA (as you did with embassy marriage paper) for later use for legal requirements (believe I needed for pension). Don't recall it being required for US tax man but suppose it could be at some point.

One thing you should do is register with the Embassy and provide an email address for receiving current updates.

Once you're married at the Ampur then you are married. There is no need to register it at you're embassy unless you want to. I'm English and it didn't affect the visa process for my ex wife. Translations are a good idea, never the less.

Once you're married at the Ampur then you are married. There is no need to register it at you're embassy unless you want to. I'm English and it didn't affect the visa process for my ex wife. Translations are a good idea, never the less.

There is no legal requirement to register your marriege at the British Embassy, but you can it's optional. But It costs you. Here is the link:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717567520

You are not registering your marriage at the British Embassy, you are recording it.

Your details eventually get recorded in the Births, Deaths and Marriages abroad section at what most people still think of as Somerset House, although it hasn't been there for many years. (There's only wills there now )

There is no legal requirement to record your marriage and as far as I can see no benefit either, other than perhaps your descendants in hundreds of years time being able to trace your wedding, get a copy of your certificate and thinking what a lucky fellow you were.

Registering your marriage at the amphur and getting the certificates makes your marriage legal in the UK.

Translations are always useful and I needed mine to confirm to my pension provider that I was married because if I married before drawing my pension my wife will get a widow's pension when I die. If I married after starting to draw the pension, she won't.

regards,

Derek

It has been 15 years since I got married, so memory is a little vague. But to the best of my (what little I have remaining) memory, I sent one of the two marriage certificates I received from the Amphur to be recorded with the British government. And in return received a certified copy, which I still use for getting visa's.

Now a question.

Is it possible to get a replacement copy in Thailand at the Amphur

Somewhere along the way I seem to have misplaced/lost my original

Anyone else had a similar problem. Or is it just me..

what about oposite? we married in Norway, I have an english translation of the certificate, where do I register that here in Thai (BKK). Wife from Krung Thep, Minburi.

Ampur?

if that could be usefull...

Edited by [email protected]