Uni Exams

For the teachers that do more at school then worry about when they can go to the pub next........

1) What do you all think of Thailand's English University entrance exam? Obviously it's at a level higher than the average Thai high-school student, but how would you improve it? Have you even looked at it?

2) Regardless of arguments against the exam, should you help M6 students prepare for it? The exam exists! As an English teacher that cares, what is the best way you can help your students? What deserves more priority, preparing for the all important uni entrance exam or getting them speaking conversationally with tourists? Keep in mind that back home mock exams and extensive preparations for finals are the norm and are treated seriously.

It's easy to brush the issue aside, but I am one that believes as a teacher, you have a responsibility towards your students. I am also lucky to work in a school where my students care.

I am very interested in any opinions.

I'm sure we're all very grateful that you're so devoted, unlike the rest of us... :D:o

I've heard that the exam is actually written by some foreign English teachers here (not sure what their credentials are or if they're uni profs or not).

A foreign friend of mine took the exam himself last year to see how difficult it was... he got over 90%... the questions he missed were related to odd choices between equivalent expressions ("Which is more appropriate to say when you see your friend in the afternoon: a. Good afternoon. b. Hi, how's it going? c. Good to see you! d. Sorry, I'm too busy to talk now."), which is odd if the exams ARE actually written by natives... but I'm sure Thais find ways to muck about with them, too.

If you have senior students who have any chance of passing, by all means let them try one of the previous years' exams (the Thai teachers can probably help you get your hands on them) and see how they do, and what you need to do to help them prepare.

However, you shouldn't necessarily believe that what you do in helping them prepare has anything to do with actual spoken conversation. The test is based, from what I've heard, on typical grammar-translation esoterica and reading comprehension.

Most of the time us TEFLers are hired to help students in their SPOKEN and COMMUNICATIVE English, and given our limited classroom time, I figure it's best to focus on these areas and let the Thai teachers deal with grammar translation and the exam system- that's what they're there for, after all. IMHO.

"Steven"

Thanks for your response Steven.

I asked my co-teacher and she gave me a copy of past exams. Yet to look at it properly though.

My co-teachers are teaching 1 english lesson a week where I teach 2. We had a little discusision on it, they saw the dilema of priorities with teaching conversation and preparing for the exam. I think they will be having a mock exam this year for the first time after asking what it's like back home.

It could actually be a blessing in disguise. Using conversational material from previous tests in lessons. Easy lesson material and exam relevant at the same time.

BTW, I made an indentical post on Ajarn - hence my "I care"comments. I was trying to discourage useless argument. But this forum is coming accross pretty serious. So I apoligise for any patronising I may caused.