Confused On Visa Issue

Hi folks.I will be coming to thailand in october and will be staying 6 months on an educational visa.Tha problem though,my girlfriend(french)is coming too and she would like to stay for 6 months too,even though she will not be studying.What would be the best visa for her to take?many thanks terry

Hi I would suggest she get a double entry tourist visa. When entering Thailand they will stamp her in with 2 months, this can then be extended another 30 days at any immigration office inside the borders of Thailand for a fee of 1900 Baht, 3 months so far. She will then need to pop out of the country, for a day, then back over the border to activate the second half of the visa, repeat above!

That's the best ( legal ) way

Why is it on the various forums some say you need to leave the Country and others say you can get the visa extended at an immigration office? :o

Because they are talking about different things. A tourist visa is issued by a Consulate and receives a 60 day stay which can be extended another 30 days with a visit/payment at an immigration office.

If you arrive without visa you are given a 30 day stay stamp which can not normally be extended - you would have to exit the country and return in order to obtain a new 30 day stamp. Unfortunately some people call this a tourist visa - it is not.

In this case, as outlined in post 2 - they use the extension and then leave the country for the second visa entry.

With non immigrant visas of multi entry you must leave country every 90 days and can return to get another 90 days. This type of visa can also be extended inside Thailand one year at a time if specific conditions are satisfied.

That's the best ( legal ) way

Why is it on the various forums some say you need to leave the Country and others say you can get the visa extended at an immigration office? :o

Because they are talking about different things. A tourist visa is issued by a Consulate and receives a 60 day stay which can be extended another 30 days with a visit/payment at an immigration office.

If you arrive without visa you are given a 30 day stay stamp which can not normally be extended - you would have to exit the country and return in order to obtain a new 30 day stamp. Unfortunately some people call this a tourist visa - it is not.

OK, thanks for that, I'll leave you in peace after this one! How about a marriage visa, which gives a clue to my plans - do I still need to leave the Country every 90 days, oR is that one extended annually and at an immigration office?

There are so many threads on this forum, its almost too good and I'm mailing in my break in the uk! :D

In this case, as outlined in post 2 - they use the extension and then leave the country for the second visa entry.

With non immigrant visas of multi entry you must leave country every 90 days and can return to get another 90 days. This type of visa can also be extended inside Thailand one year at a time if specific conditions are satisfied.

OK, thanks for that, I'll leave you in peace after this one! How about a marriage visa, which gives a clue to my plans - do I still need to leave the Country every 90 days, or is that one extended annually and at an immigration office?

There are just so many threads on this forum!!

(2nd attempt at posting this, it git hidden in the quote last time!)

I am gulity of not reading posts properly.... please read Lopburi3's post underneath for excellent information. :o

Totster :D.

edit - I was getting tezza and Ollie mixed up

Edited by Totster

OK, thanks for that, I'll leave you in peace after this one! How about a marriage visa, which gives a clue to my plans - do I still need to leave the Country every 90 days, or is that one extended annually and at an immigration office?

There are just so many threads on this forum!!

(2nd attempt at posting this, it git hidden in the quote last time!)

First there is no such thing as a marriage visa for Thailand. If married you qualify for a visitation type O non immigrate visa which will allow a 90 day stay only (either a single entry or multi entry type). Now if you "support" a Thai wife you can obtain an extension of stay at an immigration office inside Thailand on an annual basis. Requirements are 400k (baht) in Thai bank account to provide funds for your and her or bank/income to that amount. This will have to be done each year at the same time and wife must always be present. Cost is only 1,900 baht plus 1,000 baht for a re entry permit anytime you travel outside of Thailand. Some paperwork and copies are required.

You apply for the extension during the last 30 days of any 90 day entry.