Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool Chaz! Will you also be showing the 1:30am kick offs?

know supersport is no more from 31st, has anyone come up with an alternative yet?

None that are legal and that can be discussed on TV. UBC has the contract to broadcast the WC 2010 in English for Thailand. The question is what bars are going to lay out another 4000 baht deposit and 500 baht extra per month for two extra channels just to show a sporting advent that mostly will be after midnight local time . Plus with the drastic decrease of the tourist section the revenew has droped off drasticaly. So ask the bar owners that have UBC (red dish) what they are going to do. :)

some of the thai channels will cover the matches wont they?

In which case, if you have an audio selector for your telly, you can select the alternative audio, which most likely be english.

Or wont they allow this for the WC?

That's cool Chaz! Will you also be showing the 1:30am kick offs?

know supersport is no more from 31st, has anyone come up with an alternative yet?

None that are legal and that can be discussed on TV. UBC has the contract to broadcast the WC 2010 in English for Thailand. The question is what bars are going to lay out another 4000 baht deposit and 500 baht extra per month for two extra channels just to show a sporting advent that mostly will be after midnight local time . Plus with the drastic decrease of the tourist section the revenew has droped off drasticaly. So ask the bar owners that have UBC (red dish) what they are going to do. :)

Whats the point paying for unnecessary money to ubc, after all ubc only hv 3 channels for WC2010.

Just watch astro, it has 64 live matches, which you dont need to pay extra at the bars.

Can we keep this thread going and list all the bars we know will show it - I def want to go and watch - even if it were only ONE bar we could all go so it would be financially worth while - if it's Tuskers have they got a BIG screen etc.? I have been there several times but have not seen it

upstairs

was there for the RWC final, was a great atmosphere, even thou my team wasnt in it!

ah right.... never ventured up there - hope at least ONE bar will stay open and show the games - with advertising stating they are open they should make a killing

So to get the English commentary on UBC so have to pay for HD? Heard it's 2000bht + 290 a mth if already a gold / platinum customer.... Some have posted elsewhere that TRUE is HD but not in English!

I thank your information on price is correct but the HD sport channel that UBC has is the only channel with English. UBC is advertising this.

At this time I am 90% sure Tuskers will be showing the World Cup in Chiang Mai with English commentary. Should be able to confirm later this week

That's good, but any Tiger? :)

Failing that, I guess both Saloons will have it on again... they has 06 via Supersports. The newer one down Ratwithi has the better seating and screens, although the old one is closer to the totty should your team fail and you need consoling.:D

At this time I am 90% sure Tuskers will be showing the World Cup in Chiang Mai with English commentary. Should be able to confirm later this week

That's good, but any Tiger? :)

Failing that, I guess both Saloons will have it on again... they has 06 via Supersports. The newer one down Ratwithi has the better seating and screens, although the old one is closer to the totty should your team fail and you need consoling.:D

back to plan A as supersports will be scrapped by end of may-beginning of June

Edited by Donnyboy

5Live can't be accessed in Thailand, however it appears talksport.co.uk have exclusive radio rights, this station can be accessed here. However the sound and picture may not be in sync! Worth a try though.

is true but not helped by the fact that talksport is a bleeding awful channel and all of its commentators and 'experts' complete morons. i'd rather listen to thai commentary than hear that bunch of drivel-spouting berks.

sounds good that miltonbentley has a proposed way around the commentary issue though.

Englands first match will be a 2am kick off here in Chiang Mai.

My question is are the bars/pubs whatever allowed to be open by law?

Iain

depends which law you mean. do you mean the strictly-enforced-totalitarian kind or the more negotiable version?

If it's anything like the last World Cup, and all those before it, then it won't be a problem. Worst case is having to semi-close the door, turn off outside signs, etc.

As soon as England makes their exit you will see a drastic decrease in bar attendance just like WC 2008. :)

5Live can't be accessed in Thailand, however it appears talksport.co.uk have exclusive radio rights, this station can be accessed here. However the sound and picture may not be in sync! Worth a try though.

Strange you should say that as I can access both 5Live and talksport. Good point aboout possible elections though. John's is usually reliable to have football on no matter what time of day or night, it appears there's possibly a very good understanding there with the local law enforcement.

If it's anything like the last World Cup, and all those before it, then it won't be a problem. Worst case is having to semi-close the door, turn off outside signs, etc.

As soon as England makes their exit you will see a drastic decrease in bar attendance just like WC 2008. :)

pedant's corner - there wasn't a world cup in 2008.

pedant's corner - there wasn't a world cup in 2008.

Correct, it was the Euro 2008, and England didn't even make it. doh!