Bars To Watch World Cup?

bangkok blue

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as England makes their exit you will see a drastic decrease in bar attendance just like WC 2008. :D

World Cup 2008? :D

Best stick to remarking on rounders or netball. :)

Sorry 2006. Forgot to use my toes when counting. :D

kevin at the red lion said he was up for it when i asked him last week but that was before ubc restricted it to hd and thai terrestrial said bars / pubs had to pay an extra 10000 per screen to view it (? in thai only)

Cool...

So that's half moon and tuskers for sure so far.... I actually called TRUE today and they guaranteed 100% if get HD you get English commentary.

Please everybody post and bars that you know will have this so we can all enjoy the world cup!

Cool...

So that's half moon and tuskers for sure so far.... I actually called TRUE today and they guaranteed 100% if get HD you get English commentary.

Please everybody post and bars that you know will have this so we can all enjoy the world cup!

Only until the government cuts them off like they did four years ago. No English only Thai. The government did that about 4 days before kick off. Sure were some happy farangs in Thailand. :)

Dear Khun

Please allow us to inform you that The World cup matches have been secured the sole right by TV Pool (Thai TV) here in Thailand not TrueVisions. You will be able to watch it on Thai Free TV. However, we also regret to inform you that TV Pool has bought only a picture license not included the original commentary. This means, the commentators will be Thai (only). TrueVisions has bought a license from TV Pool; there will be only Thai commentators as well.

However, from True Visions part, our subscriber can watch this game on channel 111 which is our HD product. HD will be available for our Platinum and Gold Dstv subscriber as the first group. There will be only 2 channels that will be broadcasted with HD system which are True Sport HD (Channel 111) and HBO HD (Channel 112). Those who would like to watch these HD channels must change their equipment to be new HD Receiver and the customers themselves must have their own LCD LED of Passma that display Full HD 1920 x 1080 Pixels only.

TrueVisions HD include

•.Signal box (Receive Box).

•.Remote control.

•.HDMi. Cable

Terms of installing TrueVisions HD.

•. Applicable to Platinum and Gold Package Members only

•.Available in digital satellite (HD-DStv) Only

•. For home user only (Single Dweling Unit).

Description of service channel in HD.

1. TrueSport HD.

•. Broadcasted with HD 1080i 24 hours a day.

•. Watch most popular global sporting event.

o World Cup 2010 HD (All 64 Match Live).

o English Premier League HD.

o 43 PGA Tours Golf HD.

o American Football NFL HD.

o Drift Motor Sport.

o Basketball.

o etc.

2. HBO HD.

•. Broadcasted with HD 1080i 24 hours a day.

•. Selected fresh-level quality movies Hollywood Blockbusters.

•. Image contrast as watching Bluray.

•. Original Soundtrack with Thai subtitles

Please find the table of packages and prices attached herewith.

Platinum Package

*Installation feecurrent promotion

*Deposit fee4,000Baht

*Monthly subscription fee2000Baht

*Rental fee155.15Baht

*HD service fee290Baht

Gold Package

*Installation feecurrent promotion

*Deposit fee4,000Baht

*Monthly subscription fee1,412.97Baht

*Rental fee155.15Baht

*HD service fee290Baht

HD monthly fee1st point2nd point3rd point4th point

Platinum290 bahtfreefreefree

Gold290 baht190 baht90 baht90 baht

However, we also have other conditions to advise as follows;

HD subscription fee will not be offered 2% discount from making auto payment

HD subscription fee will not be offered 4% discount from paying six-month subscription in advance

Paying HD annual subscription fee will be offered one month free viewing

HD service is currently available for Gold and Platinum in private home subscriber only

After the installation of HD equipment, member must hold the service at least six-month contract

Spoke to the owner of he Half Moon on Moon Mueng soi 2, he will be showing the world cup in HD.

pity about the wife/gf of the owner - she's quite rude sometimes - that place would be my last choice (and others too)!

I have just signed up for the true HD package and it went as follows:

As I am already a Gold subscriber it cost 2000thb deposit for the HD receiver (4000thb if new customer or silver package customer)

I have to keep UBC for another 6 months ( Ive had it 5 years so no problem) in order to get my 4000thb deposit back ( 2000thb for the HD and 2000 thb for my origional Gold package deposit)

I got a promotion on the HD package (before 31st may) sign up for 6 month and you pay 290thb for the first 3 month and then you get the last 3 month free.

After the 6 month you can cancel the HD package and just keep with the origional Gold package that I have anyway.

They took my old receiver box and replaced it with the HD box on set up.

So in effect with the promotion I get to see the World Cup games for under 900thb, pretty good value IMHO.

When Ive had enough of UBC i just cancel as long as its after 6 month to get my deposit back as normal.

Ive also been 100% guarenteed that the HD channel and all the World cup games will be in English.

So happy days!

As I am already a Gold subscriber it cost 2000thb deposit for the HD receiver (4000thb if new customer or silver package customer)

I have to keep UBC for another 6 months ( Ive had it 5 years so no problem) in order to get my 4000thb deposit back ( 2000thb for the HD and 2000 thb for my origional Gold package deposit)

I got a promotion on the HD package (before 31st may) sign up for 6 month and you pay 290thb for the first 3 month and then you get the last 3 month free.

After the 6 month you can cancel the HD package and just keep with the origional Gold package that I have anyway.

So in effect with the promotion I get to see the World Cup games for under 900thb, pretty good value IMHO.

When Ive had enough of UBC i just cancel as long as its after 6 month to get my deposit back as normal.

Ive also been 100% guarenteed that the HD channel and all the World cup games will be in English.

So happy days!

You will have read the email I received direct from True Visions Bangkok today.

Nowhere can I see that they mention you will receive English commentary.

May I ask who gave you the 100% guarantee - Chiang Mai office?

Because when we called they didn't know their arse from their elbow, hence the direct contact with Bangkok.

This part seems quite clear:

This means, the commentators will be Thai (only). TrueVisions has bought a license from TV Pool; there will be only Thai commentators as well.

However, from True Visions part, our subscriber can watch this game on channel 111 which is our HD product. HD will be available for our Platinum and Gold Dstv subscriber as the first group.

It says you can watch it in HD, but it doesn't say you get English commentary.

So happy days!

It looks like you received a good deal. But I know what happened 4 years ago when the government axed the English broadcast on UBC for the WC. June 11 will be show and tell time. I hope that guarantee holds water.

So happy days!

It looks like you received a good deal. But I know what happened 4 years ago when the government axed the English broadcast on UBC for the WC. June 11 will be show and tell time. I hope that guarantee holds water.

Its thailand it holds as much water as my grandad at bedtime :) obviously I hope there is English commentry but to be honest I can do without it, as long I get to see the games with out adverts every 2 minutes like the Thai tv tends to show. I can always get commentry off the Mrs, she talks sh1t and interupts the match a bit like most of the English commentators..... :D

I called the Bangkok office directly. She assured me 100% that it will have English commentary.

Why did the government pull the English commentary last time? I'd have a thought they have a bit more on their plate this time to worry about this!

I called the Bangkok office directly. She assured me 100% that it will have English commentary.

Why did the government pull the English commentary last time? I'd have a thought they have a bit more on their plate this time to worry about this!

No idea why the government stepped in last time probably a money mater. :D I had Supersport on WETV and was able to have English commentary. September 19,2006 UBC cut off BBC and CNN by order of the government ( Mr. T out military in). I had WETV so I just switched over to it and still had BBC and CNN. BBC and CNN were off for 24 hours. Tell me who owns UBC? :)

It's all a bit confusing isn't it?

I simply cut and pasted their reply to my question about the WC having English commentary and there were certainly nothing that indicated it would.

Telephone guarantees mean nothing in Thailand. Maybe it might be useful to get a name and ask for the 100% verbal guarantee to be put in writing (email).

Personally and this is just my thinking, if there was going to be English commentary I feel they would have made a much bigger deal advertising the fact, in order to attract the farang community.

The email I received is the only thing I've seen in writing regarding the WC.

Got no response to the cricket world cup final thread I started, and I guess similar question as to who will cover world cup football, who is showing England v ? on Sunday night?

i dont think anyone will be covering the cricket final as the signal will be scrambled by dstv, unless some bar has a legal subscription with DSTV

for WC fans worst case senario is football with thai commentary, at least you get to see it.

Us rugby fans could be left out in the cold, when our WC comes around next year :)

donnyboy.

heres a better picture of the dragonfly bar area that you might ? recognise : )

enjoy ... dave2

me? i never get to go downtown, except walking street on sundays sometimes :)

DRAGONFLY BAR will be Showing all the games, even the 01.30 ones in HD Click for Map

I received my HD box today and as with the regular channels you have the choice of Thai or English commentary. When I ordered it the guy I spoke to said he couldn't guarantee that the world cup would be with English commentary.

DRAGONFLY BAR will be Showing all the games, even the 01.30 ones in HD Click for Map

I received my HD box today and as with the regular channels you have the choice of Thai or English commentary. When I ordered it the guy I spoke to said he couldn't guarantee that the world cup would be with English commentary.

Place your money and wait for the cards to be dealt June 11th.

This ties up with the email I received from Bangkok.

No-one can give a guarantee because True Visions haven't purchased the commentary!

At least he was honest and didn't offer you a 100% guarantee that you would get it.

As I said before if they were offering English commentary, I honestly think they would make a point of advertising it big time to encourage more subscribers.

As gotlost quite rightly said; "Place your money and wait for the cards to be dealt June 11th".

So, a list of bars with English commentary.....

Tuskers.....

Anymore?

I haven't checked UN Irish yet, or the sports bar at the Night bazaar....

Tuskers....

Johns Place....

True Blue....

????

So they say........

So, a list of bars with English commentary.....

Tuskers.....

Anymore?

I haven't checked UN Irish yet, or the sports bar at the Night bazaar....

Tuskers....

Johns Place....

True Blue....

????

So they say........

You forgot Dragonfly.... :)

This ties up with the email I received from Bangkok.

No-one can give a guarantee because True Visions haven't purchased the commentary!

At least he was honest and didn't offer you a 100% guarantee that you would get it.

As I said before if they were offering English commentary, I honestly think they would make a point of advertising it big time to encourage more subscribers.

As gotlost quite rightly said; "Place your money and wait for the cards to be dealt June 11th".

True are really screwing their customers over. To get the WC you have to upgrade to HD Box.

The sooner some new operator comes the better imo.