War On Phuket Taxi Mafia

george

Governor lays out strategy for war on ‘taxi mafia’

PHUKET CITY: -- Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura has unveiled more plans for cleaning up taxi and tuk-tuk services and reducing the influence of the island’s “taxi mafia”.

The Governor said the number of “limousines” allowed to operate from Phuket International Airport should be limited to 50-60 vehicles. All should be Mercedes Benz cars, Toyota Camrys or Volvos, no more than five years old, and with engine capacities of at least 2 liters.

Three meter taxis at a time should be allowed to wait at the stand directly in front of the airport terminal; the rest should wait outside the airport and be summoned in by walkie-talkie only when there is an opening for them at the stand.

Gov Udomsak was speaking yesterday at a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall with representatives of Phuket Provincial Transportation Office (PPTO), Phuket International Airport and Phuket Tourist Association.

He reiterated the i mportance of having more meter taxis in the province. Metering, he said, would help end the domination of the Phuket “taxi mafia”, which enables some drivers to claim areas of the island as their own private turf.

Gov Udomsak said, “In Kata-Karon, for example, the [tuk tuk] drivers say they have agreed a good system among themselves, which is fine, but the problem is that they won’t let anyone else onto their patch.

“They say they have worked everything out for themselves, and no one can operate in their area – yet, at the same time, they are taking fares to Phuket City, Patong, all over.”

Similarly, the Governor said, in Patong, tuk tuk drivers had awarded themselves monopolies on operating outside certain hotels.

As things stood, said Gov Udomsak, registered taxis are effectively restricted to working to and from the airport.

“But if every taxi was metered, it could stop the territorial arguments,” he said.

He conceded that, even i f all taxis were equipped with meters, this would not necessarily solve all problems, as some drivers might refuse to use the meters.

He took up a suggestion from the meeting that police checkpoints could check whether taxis had meters, and whether the drivers were using them.

Said Gov Udomsak, “I’m sure tourists would be happier using taxis if they knew the drivers would use their meters – because they would get into trouble with the police if they didn’t.”

The Governor, estimating that it will take around two years to clean up Phuket’s taxi services, said, “We must make sure that our taxis and limousines are operating to certain standards.

“We know that they are giving people cause for complaint, but at present they are getting away with it, because people don’t complain about them – maybe because visitors are afraid of approaching the police.”

--Phuket Gazette 2005-06-09

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHUKET CITY: -- Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura has unveiled more plans for cleaning up taxi and tuk-tuk services and reducing the influence of the island’s “taxi mafia”.

They should try applying the meter rule all over Thailand! Particularly in downtown Bangkok.

They need to make the taxis here in Samui use thier meters also. Many tourists complain that the charges are to high, especially compaired to Bangkok.

Raise the meter rate , but use the meter than the tourist knows he is not getting ripped off.

There will be another Airport blockade coming soon, last time a black cab driver (illegal taxi) was shot dead at Phuket Airport and numorous flights were delayed hours, hope the Governor has got the balls to see it throught.

Next problem getting the Meter-Taxi drivers trained on how to switch the meter on, previous trails in BKK and Samui have proven to be very difficult for the drivers in locating the button

Now that Pattaya has shown the LEAD in the breakup of the dark forces who have for many years caused so much negative publicity to the honour of the Thailand tourist industry Ministrys (5 Bt Buse fares confirmed by LAW) maybe common sense will now be "dictated" and Samui and Poo-ket will follow their good example. :D:o:D

Raise the meter rate , but use the meter than the tourist knows he is not getting ripped off.

I think it's pretty much a given that passengers are going to assume a taxi driver is out to cheat them to some extent when the driver quotes a fixed fare but yet there is a meter in the taxi. One has to assume that the driver isn't going to offer a price that's lower than what the meter fare would be. Even if the quoted fare is in actuality fair, a passenger is still going to feel as though they are about to be taken for a ride (so to speak). :o

Metering is definetly the way to go. Tuk Tuk fares in Phuket border on western nations. I don't buy that tosh the governor said either in regard drivers not using them. I have never had it in Bangkok and if they wouldn't switich it on or try and haggle a fare, how hard is it to just refuse point blank, get out and get in another??

The taxis in Bangkok, and Tuk Tuks in Phuket are everywhere. On a positive at least the governor has raised the issue even if as with most others it is probably hot air!

Mak.

Edited by makavelithedon

Now that  Pattaya has shown the LEAD in the breakup of the dark forces who have for many years  caused so much negative publicity to the honour of the Thailand tourist industry Ministrys (5 Bt Buse fares confirmed by LAW) maybe common sense will now be "dictated" and Samui and Poo-ket will follow their good example. :D  :o  :D

I can't quite tell if this is facetious or not. Now I am just guessing here, but I believe that metered taxis in BKK are also the law ... I don't see the championship lead in Pattaya. I have never gotten away with paying 5 baht on one of those taxis, everytime I have tried, the driver follows me down the road yelling obscenities. Usually 10, but many of them yell at me for 20 ... I apologize, but I am not sure how your experience can be so different from mine. I was staying down the road a bit on a longer soy, and most of the time they would not even pick me up for less than 100, occasionally 80, and once 60. The mafia scene in Pattaya is quite strong, maybe just the system of roving trucks makes it seem less apparent.

I am really hoping that Phuket does actually do something about the stranglehold the mafia does have on things down there. Unfortunately, my experience in this beautiful country is that the people who lie, cheat and have the worst attitudes are usually the people driving vehicles in Thailand, be it tuk tuk, taxis, motorcycles or boats. And who does your average tourist have the most contact with in Thailand? Hotel/wait staff and ... yep, these other downstanding citizens just trying to make a dishonest living.

I also think the image here would improve significantly.

I sure hope they will control the Patong Tuk Tuk mafia, they not only have a very high fare, but they multiply it by the number of persons, so if you are taking a girl back to your hotel, it's double fare.

Last time we were 4 people going from Soi Bangla to Phuket Palace, a short drive and he thought we should pay 400 bath for the trip. We walked home. :o

The Governor said the number of “limousines” allowed to operate from Phuket International Airport should be limited to 50-60 vehicles. All should be Mercedes Benz cars, Toyota Camrys or Volvos, no more than five years old, and with engine capacities of at least 2 liters.

OK - so we know which shorooms are owned by the local government mafia

As things stood, said Gov Udomsak, registered taxis are effectively restricted to working to and from the airport.

“But if every taxi was metered, it could stop the territorial arguments,” he said.

He conceded that, even i f all taxis were equipped with meters, this would not necessarily solve all problems, as some drivers might refuse to use the meters.

And the fault for allowing them to get away with this lies at whose door?

He took up a suggestion from the meeting that police checkpoints could check whether taxis had meters, and whether the drivers were using them.

Said Gov Udomsak, “I’m sure tourists would be happier using taxis if they knew the drivers would use their meters – because they would get into trouble with the police if they didn’t.”

That's it - fine the tourists when the driver won't use the meter - brilliant piece of Thai Official logic !!!

The Governor, estimating that it will take around two years to clean up Phuket’s taxi services, said, “We must make sure that our taxis and limousines are operating to certain standards.

“We know that they are giving people cause for complaint, but at present they are getting away with it, because people don’t complain about them – maybe because visitors are afraid of approaching the police.”

--Phuket Gazette 2005-06-09

Which means that that's another two years of kickbacks and time for the public to forget what he said ...... everyone make a diary note to follow this up in 2 years time with letters to the newspapers.

I really do hope he means what he says, and carries it out - then we can hold up his achievements as an example to all the other provinces and cities, and then they'll have no excuse for not trying.

Here in Chiangmai, the Governor is also trying but keeps faltering at the first hurdle - surely someone can actually carry out something like this?

I have made 35 trips to Thailand and spent 95% of all my time "in-country" in Pattaya Beach. I have always paid 10 Baht but I always overtip everywhere. I have never been yelled at, or cheated by a baht bus driver in Pattaya Beach. What I do each trip is IF I am going outside the "tourist" area, basically the round and round of Beach Rd/Pattaya 2nd Rd. is to find what appears to be an empty baht bus in good condition, negotiate with the driver for what I consider a fair price to whereven I'm heading be it Jomtien, Naklua, Banglamung or East Sukhumvit and then ride to that destination. Once there, IF he is courteous and fair, I ask for his cell phone number, then use him for ALL my transportation needs in the Pattaya area during that trip.

For those cheap charlies who still insist on paying the 5 baht price, all I can say is "up to you"...lol I just can't justify only paying 5 baht when most of my trips are from the Lek or Nova Lodge Hotels to the far north end or south end of town. I walk to everywhere else I need to go.

JMHO,

Ken Bower

non-typical tourist

Now that  Pattaya has shown the LEAD in the breakup of the dark forces who have for many years  caused so much negative publicity to the honour of the Thailand tourist industry Ministrys (5 Bt Buse fares confirmed by LAW) maybe common sense will now be "dictated" and Samui and Poo-ket will follow their good example. :D  :o  :D

I can't quite tell if this is facetious or not. Now I am just guessing here, but I believe that metered taxis in BKK are also the law ... I don't see the championship lead in Pattaya. I have never gotten away with paying 5 baht on one of those taxis, everytime I have tried, the driver follows me down the road yelling obscenities. Usually 10, but many of them yell at me for 20 ... I apologize, but I am not sure how your experience can be so different from mine. I was staying down the road a bit on a longer soy, and most of the time they would not even pick me up for less than 100, occasionally 80, and once 60. The mafia scene in Pattaya is quite strong, maybe just the system of roving trucks makes it seem less apparent.

I am really hoping that Phuket does actually do something about the stranglehold the mafia does have on things down there. Unfortunately, my experience in this beautiful country is that the people who lie, cheat and have the worst attitudes are usually the people driving vehicles in Thailand, be it tuk tuk, taxis, motorcycles or boats. And who does your average tourist have the most contact with in Thailand? Hotel/wait staff and ... yep, these other downstanding citizens just trying to make a dishonest living.

I once got in a taxi outside the airport that started taking me to my hotel. Halfway there I realized he hadn't turned on the meter.

He told me then that it was broken but that he would give me the fair price of 600 Baht. I told him it normally cost me 200 Baht to go to the hotel.

I told him I would pay 200 Baht or take me back to the airport.

He offered 500 Baht. I then asked for the price of 150 Baht. He said 450 Baht was his final offer.

I told him to take me back then. He was angry but took me back. What a waste of time.

I told the next cab driver to turn on the meter. I told him that the first taxi offered 600 Baht. This second taxi driver told me that is probably what the meter will say so 600 Baht was a fair price. I guess he was trying to cover for his fellow driver. He didn't say anything to me when we reached the hotel and the meter read 197 Baht.

I always tell the taxi to turn on the meter. They know how much it costs to go places. They aren't going to offer a cheaper rate just to save the effort of turning on the meter. I think all farang should refuse to go with a driver if they don't turn on the meter. Paying them higher rates only encourages them to try to gouge the next passenger.

In Bangkok,if the taxi driver does not put the meter on, get out and get the next taxi.

In Phuket, the red Tuk Tuks are muslim owned and the blue ones buddhist.

I generally play a lot of golf there and alwys wait for a good deal, then use that driver for the rest of my stay.

This excludes nightime as it's usually a different shift and they do really put the prices up around midnight.

So i usually walk back to the hotel, after trying 3 times to get a fair price.

Two years ago, I took a taxi from Silom Sirene hotel (soi at Silom road) to the airport. The cab was called by the hotel staff. Staff, driver and myself agreed to drive by meter. The hotel staff gave me a ticket with the taxi number. At the highway the driver switched of the meter and told me he wanted 700 Baht. Every time he asked (about 4 times), I refused to pay the 700 Baht. Suddenly, he stopped the car, opened the trunk and putted my 2 suitcases next to the highway. He told me to pay 700 Baht or leave the car. I left the car and missed my plane. At Muang airport, I went to the police and airport authorities complaining about what happened. I called Silom Sirene aswell. No sorry at all...Back home I sent them an email. 2 months later I was back at Silom Sirene and checked wat had been done. You guess; NOTHING.... nothing at all.

Dear friends, this is Thailand and I will use the words many Thai people told me: " or you accept all the bad things (and my PC has no memory enough to store all), or you go back to your country".

It took me 5 years to learn and understand this Thai wisdom. Now I accept and tolerate a bit to prevent heart diseases.

Enjoy

Dear friends, this is Thailand and I will use the words many Thai people told me: " or you accept all the bad things (and my PC has no memory enough to store all), or you go back to your country".

Enjoy

well, good that you not only didn't give up on THailandbut taken a troubles to understand their wisdom - or better to say perhaps, how to be more clever orpractical. good that it didn't stop you to come here during next 5 years.

you should'veeither told driver not to go on highway or pretend that you agree to pay those 700 - and once in the airport either give him what was agreed upon with hotel management or report him to police on the spot. you'd probably still have time to catch you flight as well.

another thing is - I have no doubt such things happen not in Thailand but practically in any country in the world. at least here they don't trick their meter to run faster than normal as they surely do in India ! :D (have experienced it myself more than once - and was told by my friends about their same experience). may bethey are lazy here or not that sophisticated / clever or may be even more honest ?

so, Re "... or you go back to your country" - I'd add - "or you go to India or Cambodia" or elsewhere to experience bigger ripp off, often threatening. just for comparison. :o

never went by taxi from Silom - but from Sukhumvit never it had been more than 250-300 B if by highway - or is that toll way ?

oh, and BTW - it is not wise to let hotel to call taxi for you - especially after midnight. obviously there will be surcharge - even students in asia would know that. Silom isn't so remote rural area without any taxis. even in non-tourists areas after midnight a lot of empty taxis cirling around - what to speak on Silom ! you could have taken a bit pain in the arce and steped outside your hotel and got taxi there.

Edited by aaaaaa

They should try applying the meter rule all over Thailand! Particularly in downtown Bangkok.

You can say that again . They wont even take you if you are 10km away from downtown or they want 500 baht , which it cost you on 60 to get you there ? :o:D:D

Metering is definetly the way to go.  Tuk Tuk fares in Phuket border on western nations. I don't buy that tosh the governor said either in regard drivers not using them.  I have never had it in Bangkok and if they wouldn't switich it on or try and haggle a fare, how hard is it to just refuse point blank, get out and get in another??

The taxis in Bangkok, and Tuk Tuks in Phuket are everywhere.  On a positive at least the governor has raised the issue even if as with most others it is probably hot air!

Mak.

Tuk-Tuk price is western std in phuket , go to Safari 200 baht come back 200 baht not far from my hotel maybe 5km maybe :o:D:D

I sure hope they will control the Patong Tuk Tuk mafia, they not only have a very high fare, but they multiply it by the number of persons, so if you are taking a girl back to your hotel, it's double fare.

Last time we were 4 people going from Soi Bangla to Phuket Palace, a short drive and he thought we should pay 400 bath for the trip. We walked home. :D

Thats just robbery ! :o

Two years ago, I took a taxi from Silom Sirene hotel (soi at Silom road) to the airport. The cab was called by the hotel staff. Staff, driver and myself agreed to drive by meter. The hotel staff gave me a ticket with the taxi number. At the highway the driver switched of the meter and told me he wanted 700 Baht. Every time he asked (about 4 times), I refused to pay the 700 Baht. Suddenly, he stopped the car, opened the trunk and putted my 2 suitcases next to the highway. He told me to pay 700 Baht or leave the car. I left the car and missed my plane. At Muang airport, I went to the police and airport authorities complaining about what happened. I called Silom Sirene aswell. No sorry at all...Back home I sent them an email.  2 months later I was back at Silom Sirene and checked wat had been done. You guess; NOTHING.... nothing at all.

Well, at least you stuck by your principles.

:o

I usually get a cab from patpong (silom) or soi cowboy after midnight, i never get the one waiting but always stops one driving by. They ALWAYS turn on the meter. Once the guy refused, i got out and waived another one.

i never had any argument or insult, occasionnally they refuse to take me where i go because of traffic or their closing time, i simply take another one.

I agree with the answer that said you should have finished the trip to the airport, get your luggage out and call the police, at least your major risk was to pay the 700b but i am sure the tourist police would have told the taxi driver he was wrong and you would have made your flight.

Crooks are allover the world, try a cab in Rome or Milan, it is worse than here... Try accepting a ride from a taxi offer in heatrow, you will get robbed for 100pds...

I guess our best bet is to SYSTEMATICALLY refuse non meter taxi and in situation like switching off half way, arguing on the free way was the wrong thing to do, always get the police at an important station to help

we can help in the clean up, accepting to be taken for a ride calls for more...

oz

:o gees peoples!! some of you people should really listen to yourselves once in a while - you can be so cynical ... you know, this entire tuk tuk, taxi etc etc business cannot be helped. It is really all the same world wide - tourism invites this type of 'cheating' on tourists. This is how these people make money - esp. in asia and in this case, thailand, the value of their currency has not always been all that wonderful and at the end of the day their entire monthly income hardly even matches a typical 'westerner' WEEKLY pay - despite all the 'cheating' they seem to do to us such POOR and DOWNTRODDENed 'western' tourists!!!! .... think about it

i love riding on the tuk-tuks they are very cultured things ... i have been to Thailand every year for almost 10years now and it is only about 10% of the time (max) that i ever meet such 'cheating' public transport drivers ... and within that 10% of the time i have mainly been duped by the supposed 'metered taxis' - who actually rigged the meters to jump at a much higher increment that it should ... in which case, i prefer to actually bargain a price with a tuk tuk driver beforehand and go on my trip - then AT LEAST i would already know what i have to pay for this trip.

so really people, enforcing ONLY metered taxis would not help all that much. I'm pretty sure it's not possible to erase the mafia from any industry or any country altogether. Any such moves will not be able to prevent some drivers to rig the meters anyway - PLUS - the tuk-tuks are unique in their own way to each region of Thailand, it's part of their culture. Do you also realise that many of these simple living public transport drivers in Thailand work over 12hours a day, 7 days a week to earn a measley living compared to the western counterparts ... honest people do exist ... once you actually allow yourselves to really MEET the locals you will understand ... until then ...

it doesn't hurt to throw these people a few extra dollars. There are good people and there are bad people WORLD WIDE ... all working people world wide are just working for a living and seek PROFIT ... look at all the businesses in the world ...

for example. look at the travel agencies selling on commission. The smart shopper should just shop around - you can complain about the agency that seems to want to overcharge you the price of the airfare, but ultimately you personally have a choice to be duped or to go to another travel agency - that will definitely offer you a better deal ... what's the difference ??? the law doesn't solve every problem nor does it solve any problem 100% ... it's not possible. It all comes down to individual choices ...

chao

Last time we were 4 people going from Soi Bangla to Phuket Palace, a short drive and he thought we should pay 400 bath for the trip. We walked home. :D

You said it. :D

First trip to Patong last month the taxis were lined up night after night clogging up the streets. No fares and for good reason. The rates they quote are ridiculous and even the locals advise us not to take them for trips to points where they might end up as our only transport back because then the price goes up on the return trip or you walk. :D

I don't know where they get their business accumen. :o For the price of two quoted 10-15 km taxi rides we rented a van with driver recommended by the hotel from 10 AM to 6 PM. Stuck with us the whole day and the second day he even brought along his daughter to practice her English. For the kind of service he gave us we tipped (and tip) very, very well. :D

Skip the taxis. Look to the locals. :D

I have made 35 trips to Thailand and spent 95% of all my time "in-country" in Pattaya Beach.  I have always paid 10 Baht but I always overtip everywhere.  I have never been yelled at, or cheated by a baht bus driver in Pattaya Beach.  What I do each trip is IF I am going outside the "tourist" area, basically the round and round of Beach Rd/Pattaya 2nd Rd. is to find what appears to be an empty baht bus in good condition, negotiate with the driver for what I consider a fair price to whereven I'm heading be it Jomtien, Naklua, Banglamung or East Sukhumvit and then ride to that destination.  Once there, IF he is courteous and fair, I ask for his cell phone number, then use him for ALL my transportation needs in the Pattaya area during that trip.

For those cheap charlies who still insist on paying the 5 baht price, all I can say is "up to you"...lol  I just can't justify only paying 5 baht when most of my trips are from the Lek or Nova Lodge  Hotels to the far north end or south end of town.  I walk to everywhere else I need to go.

JMHO,

Ken Bower

non-typical tourist

...A good sensible post kenandlat.....who needs the hassle with the baht bus drivers over 5 baht?.....not me... :D

I was in phuket 8 weeks ago and got charged 100 baht to go 2 km by a tuk-tuk,and i was well pissed off but what can one do?

But heres the best one koh sumet AO Prao Resort 6,000 baht per night don't have a taxi or tuk-tuk but there's a boy with a pick-up truck (private-hire) the only one on the island hold on for your life jungle role-a-coster from the resort to 7-eleven 2.2km 400 baht thats 100 baht per kilometer i only did it once then checked out of the hotel letting the manager know why :o

Edited by neiln7