Non Imm O From Penang

My Thai gf and I are heading back to Thailand for about 6+ months. I had intended to get a 30-day stamp on arrival, and then go to Penang twice for 90 day tourist visas but then I read in this forum about the Non-Immigrant type 'O' which can be obtained for the purpose of visiting friends.

What are my chances of getting this visa from Penang? What happens if they decline my application - can I then apply for a tourist visa with no problem?

I have an NZ passport and have no intention to work in Thailand.

Unless you have a Marraige certificate to a Thai, or a Birth Certificate of a Thai Child with your name on it, I don't think you have any chance.

De-facto relationships are not recognised

On the other had you have nothing to lose and if you can not obtain non immigrant you should be able to get the 2 entry tourist visa. I would check with one of the visa agents as they should be able to provide current information and the service is about the same price as doing it yourself.

The best place to obtain a non immigrant O visa for visiting friends is usually a small consulate in your home country.

IIWY I'd apply to a consulate in NZ before you leave (assuming that's where you are of course). Apply for a multi-entry, if you get it you're sorted for up to 15 months :o

You will need a letter of guarantee stating that the guarantor will pay for you to return home if you run out of cash. Letter can be from anyone (parents, boss, pub landlord) they don't have to be in Thailand.

It seems generally accepted that 'non-O' visas to "visit friends" are hard to come by in Asia.

Having a visa (any visa) will eliminate potential problems with airlines not allowing you to fly 'coz your return ticket is more than 30 days after your arrival.

DC