Need A New Non Imm O Visa

I am travelling to Thailand in October for approximately 6 months. My current Non Imm O visa expires on November 5th.

The question is..... Do I apply in the UK for a new Visa, or shall I wait until I am in Thailand and apply at one of the consultes during my inevitable visa run ?

If I wait until I am in Thailand, how easy is it to get a Non Imm O at Vientiane or my preferred place of Savannakhet ( I'm assuming they have a consulate ). I may also be in a position to apply in Malaysia.

I am thinking it may save me some hassle just to apply in the UK, but this would mean losing out time wise on the Visa.

Lastly if I was to get the Visa in the UK, I would then have two valid visas in my passport, I'm assuming this wouldn't be a problem and either one couild be used.

Any advice appreciated...

Totster - Married to a Thai and looking for a multiple Non Imm O Visa :o

I'd whizz down to Penang for a couple of days, married visas are no problem.

OR

Whilst here apply for an extension of stay based on marriage also no real problem, but needs cash in the bank (400,000 IIRC).

Dunno about Vientiane (have heard it's not so visa-friendly) or Savannakhet (don't even know if there is a consulate) -- anybody???

Edit: Oops, sorry Tot, just realised who was the OP (you) something about Grandma and sucking eggs :o You do of course already know all that.

I do remember reading somewhere that you are not supposed to have two active visas in your passport, not sure where though. Time for a call to a consulate I think.

Edited by Crossy

I'd whizz down to Penang for a couple of days, married visas are no problem.

OR

Whilst here apply for an extension of stay based on marriage also no real problem, but needs cash in the bank (400,000 IIRC).

Dunno about Vientiane (have heard it's not so visa-friendly) or Savannakhet (don't even know if there is a consulate) -- anybody???

Edit: Oops, sorry Tot, just realised who was the OP (you) something about Grandma and sucking eggs  :D  You do of course already know all that.

Your not teaching me to suck eggs mate.... :D I have never obtained a visa outside of the UK, so all advice is greatly appreciated, thanks Crossy for taking the time to reply. :D

I do remember reading somewhere that you are not supposed to have two active visas in your passport, not sure where though. Time for a call to a consulate I think.

Think maybe I will give them a call.... unless anyone else can confirm this... :o

totster :D

Edited by Totster

They're not Visas per se so you should be okay. I know people that have obtained a 'new' Non-imm sticker/stamp while they're 'old' Non-imm still have activation time on it. But that was in the West.

Penang is your best bet (in Asia), but I'd check with a kosher agent first that they'll do it while you still have one left.

Edited by kenkannif

They're not Visas per se so you should be okay. I know people that have obtained a 'new' Non-imm sticker/stamp while they're 'old' Non-imm still have activation time on it. But that was in the West.

Penang is your best bet (in Asia), but I'd check with a kosher agent first that they'll do it while you still have one left.

He seems to be talking about a visa to me. Stamp or stick on they are proper visas.

I would take the hit and go to the same Consulate you obtained your current visa - I suspect they will want to cancel your current visa prior to giving you a new one but it will still cover you for the period required. But if you want to want until after your current visa expires it should not be a problem obtaining a new one in Penang.

It is probably best not to think of entry as activating a visa as a visa is active from date of issue until used or expired. What you receive on entry is just a permission to remain in the country stamp based on the visa you were holding upon entry. Perhaps think visa prior entry and entry stamp or permission to stay after that point. An example would be the normal entry for 30 days - you never have a visa in that case so how could you be activating a visa?

He seems to be talking about a visa to me. Stamp or stick on they are proper visas.

I would take the hit and go to the same Consulate you obtained your current visa - I suspect they will want to cancel your current visa prior to giving you a new one but it will still cover you for the period required. But if you want to want until after your current visa expires it should not be a problem obtaining a new one in Penang.

I think I shall get one from the same place as you suggest Lopburi3.... Not sure I can get to Peneng anyway, it was only a "might be" :o

To clarify - I am talking about renewing my Non Imm O visa.... not the length I am permitted to stay in Thailand (the entry permit)

Sorry Lop, it's how I explain it to most of our lot, but I'll try not to do so here.

I still think you'll be okay in Penang, but I'd check with a agent.

For sure you'll be okay at THE Consulate in UK, I've done it many a time for people who still have active Visas (or whatever you wanna call it).

Edited by kenkannif

Sorry Lop, it's how I explain it to most of our lot, but I'll try not to do so here.

For sure you'll be okay at THE Consulate in UK, I've done it many a time for people who still have active Visas (or whatever you wanna call it).

Thanks for all the advice everyone, Like I said I shall probably get on from THE consulate in UK. Saves all the hassle IMO. I'll let them deal with the two valid visa's problem. :o

I have been advised to get my retirement visa in London, The references to THE consulate makes me feel there is something I should know.