Armoured Vehicles, Army Live Bullets Will Be Used To Surround Red-Shirts From 6pm

webfact

CRES to Surround Red-shirts This Evening, Live Bullets to Be Used

BANGKOK: -- The Center for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has announced that to encourage the protesters to disperse armored vehicles will be used to surround the anti-government red-shirt protesters this evening.

Live bullets will be used.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-05-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai army to seal off protest site as poll plan axed

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's army warned Thursday it would seal off a protest site in the capital with armoured vehicles, turning up the heat on defiant "Red Shirts" as the premier shelved a plan for early elections.

Hopes were fading of an imminent resolution to a crippling two-month crisis that has sparked several outbreaks of deadly unrest and brought parts of the capital to a standstill.

"I have cancelled the election date... because protesters refuse to disperse," Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva told reporters. "I have told security officials to restore normalcy as soon as possible."

An army spokesman said security forces would surround the anti-government protest site in the heart of Bangkok with armoured vehicles from 6:00 pm (1100 GMT) to prevent people entering the area.

The planned move was announced after authorities failed to carry out a threat to cut off utilities to the protesters at midnight Wednesday although Abhisit said Thursday that the action would still go ahead.

The embattled premier had offered to dissolve parliament in the second half of September for elections on November 14 if all parties accepted his reconciliation plan.

The Reds, who have been protesting in Bangkok for two months in a campaign for early elections, initially agreed to enter the process but efforts to reach a deal that would see them go home have since broken down.

The movement says it will not disperse until Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban is charged for his role in overseeing an April 10 crackdown that left 25 people dead, including 20 protesters.

Red Shirt leader Weng Tojirakarn said Thursday that scrapping the election and dissolution of parliament was a betrayal of the Thai public.

"The government has committed political suicide if there is no election," he said on a stage at the Reds' fortified camp in a retail district, where several shopping centres and upscale hotels have been forced to close temporarily.

Another Red Shirt leader, Nattawut Saikuar, said that while the protesters remained committed to the election and dissolution, "justice" was their number one priority.

"Justice for more than 20 of our people who lost their lives is most important while dissolution and election are a very small issue," he said.

The Reds, whose heartland is in the impoverished rural northeast, say the government is undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ruling ousted elected allies of their hero, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was unseated in a 2006 coup.

Twenty-nine people have been killed and almost 1,000 injured in Bangkok in a series of confrontations and attacks since the protests began in mid-March. It is Thailand's worst political violence in almost two decades.

Arrest warrants have been issued for many of the top protest leaders and observers say disagreement between the two sides over a possible amnesty is likely to be one of the main sticking points.

Weng denounced the government threats to cut off food, water and power supplies to the rally site where thousands have set up camp.

He called on more protesters to join the rally, and challenged the military to go ahead with a crackdown, saying "if you want another 300, or 3,000 dead bodies please come, but Thailand will be not be the same."

In an editorial, the Bangkok Post said cutting off water and power would be unlikely to have any effect on the protesters -- except perhaps to harden their resolve -- but would hurt "the numerous innocent residents, businesses, schools and embassies in the area."

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-13

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I keep seeing this on a daily basis thinking when I wake up (I'm in the U.S.) that it will al be over. Going to bed now, but I'm pretty sure when I wake up nothing will have changed.

Edited by daboyz1

Do they really think that using armoured personnel carriers that they will be able to disperse this crowd without getting some people killed? That would probably make the April 10 look like a children's party.

Wonder what Gen. Paochinda has to say about this?

My bet is that NO, there will be no clash and that this the government will suffer another embarassing and humiliating defeat is a game of chicken.

Did I hear someone cry 'wolf' ?

One thing for sure , all THAI are the same SAY I DO and DO Nothing , same in Business , same in Government , that way no one can be accountable !! Its the Thai Way

Are you typical of all Canadians?

I say and do many things, man that blows your theory out of the water ;_)

Anyhow, I hope that somehow it doesn't turn into the blood bath that some of the red shirt leaders hope for.

Talking to the rellies upcountry, families have been told payment of 200,000b if the person dies or is injured to attend the rallies, plus daily payment.

One family has already received cash for someone already seriously injured before - so basically for some this is enough to go and attend the rally. 200,000b in savings in parts of Buriram is more than a family makes in 5 years.

It's just another dangerous job that the downtrodden end up doing, while the leaders, even Arisaman, are staying in fancy hotels eating decent food and getting WAY more than 200k.

Edited by steveromagnino

Well let's see. The government has been more than patient in my humble opinion. They can't let this drag on. Had this been China and may other places the Reds would have been forced out long ago. I hope that no one is killed,but if they are so stupid to think they can over throw the government which has the support of the police and army, they are mad.

I am sure the government is not going to move in unprovoked to enforce the law. The surrounding of the area is a great idea because we know the reds will attack soldiers and vehicles giving authorities the perfect opportunity to clear out the lawless violent mob purely for self defense & safety purposes.

Edited by jcbangkok

Did I hear someone cry 'wolf' ?

One thing for sure , all THAI are the same SAY I DO and DO Nothing , same in Business , same in Government , that way no one can be accountable !! Its the Thai Way

Are you typical of all Canadians? I hope not!

I say and do many things, man that blows your theory out of the water.

Steve, as a Canuck I preferred your unedited version mate.

Hope the army guy and girl singing duo (in full-on army combat gear) are still playing at Sukhumvit Soi 19 tonight, like they were last night. They were ace!

I saw that too and was quite confused .

Are they army personnel or entertainers ?

The girl was a sight for sore eyes though !

Edited by SAMCHAROEN

Reds Won't Give Up, to Resist CRES Dispersal Efforts This Evening

The core red-shirt leaders have announced that they won't give up and disperse even when the Center for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) has threatened to use armored vehicles to surround the protesters at Ratchaprasong and that live bullets may be used to encourage the protesters to leave the Ratcharprason area.

The leaders say the the protesters will be rehearsing counter-dispersal tactics ahead of the launch of the dispersal operation tonight at 6 P.M.

What? Like putting women and children in the front line? Cowardly scum