Work Permit Application + Fee

Simple question:

Who 'normally' submits the application for a work permit - the employer or employee and more importantly, who 'normally' pays for it.

I am being pushed in the direction that as the employer has little experience in W.P. that I should arrange it all myself and consequently pay the fee myself.

Perhaps there is no 'normal' way of doing things and it depends on who can persuade who to do it ? (and pay for it)???

Simple question:

Who 'normally' submits the application for a work permit - the employer or employee and more importantly, who 'normally' pays for it.

I am being pushed in the direction that as the employer has little experience in W.P. that I should arrange it all myself and consequently pay the fee myself.

Perhaps there is no 'normal' way of doing things and it depends on who can persuade who to do it ? (and pay for it)???

If you are been hired by a reputed company the normal practice is that the company will arrange the work permit and visa for you. Specially work permit as it needs lots of documents from the company. Haven’t heard yet that one can apply a work permit by himself. In our case (Thymode91 and I) both visa and work permit applied, renewed and paid by the company. :o

Normally the company does the work permit because most of the documents have to be supplied by them (and they may not want you to see some of those documents) and because initially there may be some negotiation required over the exact job title and description put in the WP.

The notion that they don't have experience with WPs is pretty ridiculous because neither do you. I think they just don't want to pay. My company always did my WP and paid for it but their attitude is that it's a burden which they accept reluctantly. I had to do my own visa extension for the first 5 years.

Your company probably looks at this as a government permission for you to work in Thailand, so it's your affair. But you could say it's government permission to allow that company to hire you to work only in that company and for a specific purpose.