Red-Shirts Leader Seh Daeng Shot In The Head - Fighting For His Life In ICU - Video

webfact

Key protester wounded as Red Shirt demo turns violent

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK (AFP) -- A key figure in Thailand's anti-government protests was seriously wounded Thursday as gunshots and an explosion rang out at a vast "Red Shirt" camp after the army threatened to seal the site, a hospital source said.

The violence came after the prime miniser shelved a plan for November elections and hopes faded for a resolution to a crippling two-month crisis that has sparked periodic violence, leaving 29 people dead and 1,000 injured.

Renegade Major-General Khattiya Sawasdipol was shot in the chest and was in "very serious condition," said the nurse at Hua Chiew Hospital.

The fiery general had made no secret of encouraging the protesters to oppose a reconciliation deal and not to disperse.

It was unclear who was behind the shooting heard by reporters at the site, which is occupied by thousands of protesters.

"I have cancelled the election date... because protesters refuse to disperse," Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said earlier. "I have told security officials to restore normality as soon as possible."

An army spokesman said earlier that troops would surround the rally site in the heart of Bangkok with armoured vehicles and that demonstrators would be allowed to leave but not enter the area.

"Snipers will be deployed in the operation," said the spokesman, Colonel Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, after issuing a series of tough warnings to the "Red Shirt" protesters in recent weeks.

Sunsern said soldiers would be authorised to use real bullets for warning shots, self-defence and against "armed terrorists," although the government did not announce any immediate plan to forcibly disperse protesters.

An unsuccessful attempt by troops on April 10 to clear a different area in the capital's historic district sparked fierce street fighting that left 25 people dead and hundreds wounded.

The Reds say the government is undemocratic because it came to power in a 2008 parliamentary vote after a court ousted elected allies of their hero, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was unseated in a 2006 coup.

Large crowds of Red Shirts, including some elderly, women and children, had remained Thursday in the protest site, which has been fortified with barricades made from razor wire, fuel-soaked tyres and sharpened bamboo spears.

Some foreign embassies in the area closed early due to the threatened lockdown, with the US, British, and Dutch embassies suspending visa services.

The plan was announced after authorities failed to carry out a threat to cut off utilities to the site at midnight Wednesday, although Abhisit said that the action would still go ahead.

Shops, restaurants and other businesses in the area were closing early in response to a request by the authorities.

Abhisit had offered to dissolve parliament in the second half of September for elections on November 14 if all parties accepted his reconciliation plan.

The mostly poor and working class Reds, who launched their campaign in mid-March for immediate elections, initially agreed to enter the process but efforts to reach a deal that would see them go home have since broken down.

Observers say there are signs of splits emerging between the moderate and hardline elements within the protest movement.

If Abhisit does not go ahead with the proposed election "he doesn't have a plan or even a means of dealing with a very real crisis," said Thailand analyst Michael Montesano.

"This puts his government in a really rough position," added Montesano, a visiting research fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore.

Another Red Shirt leader, Weng Tojirakarn, said that scrapping the election and dissolution of parliament was a betrayal of the Thai public.

"The government has committed political suicide if there is no election," he said earlier.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-05-13

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This changes things. Lets hope that the more moderate leaders will be able to talk to Abhisit about the road map with out him threatening them.

Also lets hope it doesnt go the other way and his men in black don't go out looking for revenge.

Typo

Edited by Throatwobbler

I note with dismay that you can't even match the headline and the text - who was shot in the head and who in the chest.

are these assassination attempts?

I notice that the internet has virtually slowed to a halt - is that significant too?

Video is on the way, but we are experiencing technical difficulties.

Update: At least 20 security officers injured when confronted by red-shirt protesters at Huachiew Hospital; officers agree to retreat from hospital

Let me get this straight ...Thaksin's extrajudicial killings of drug dealers were fiercely condemned by the Democrats. Now the army has shot a General in the head while he was giving an interview to an international media reporter.

I assume he was given a fair trial before he was shot?

Video is on the way, but we are experiencing technical difficulties.

Update: At least 20 security officers injured when confronted by red-shirt protesters at Huachiew Hospital; officers agree to retreat from hospital

Absolutely best news about Daeng being shot. The triade of terrorists (Thaksin, Daeng, Arisman) should be taken out to remove the extreme elements hijacking a perfectly good cause (rights for the poor etc etc).

My inlaws, themselves from a disadvantaged upcountry background were literally dancing in the living room about this news.

Great strategy, not sure if the government can keep up the pressure or if it's going to turn into a complete mess again.

Too bad that the reforms being made (agricultural aide, loan packages, education reforms) aren't making headlines.

The 'Red shirts' need to clear up what they want!!!!

The wanted parliment dissolution and new elections, the could have had both if they went home when the Priminister annonced his plans!!!!

But they must have been 'told' by the red leader 'we need this (whatever it is they want now) too' - got too greedy!!

RED SHIRTS GO HOME PLEASE!!!!!!!

i know i'm a 'farang' but the people of bangkok think the same!!!!!!

When I woke up this morning, I was dreaming all of Thailand was screaming for help. In the dream, it was depicted that God can only respond to prayers and that 'someone else' handles 'complaints'.

I was wondering where this vision could fit in TV....

What about in the hospital rooms of these twisted and injured men clinging to life?

Many Posters decry the accuracy of Wikipedia. Wikipedia states that Thailand is Nation of 95% Buddhists. That is SO obviously NOT true. Buddhists abhor violence and relinquish greed money.

People; don't trust ANYBODY who owns private jets! They are the brain washers of yellow AND red supporters.

THEY want your help to put them in Seats of Corruption.

Killing red and yellow crocodiles is NOT going to drain the swamp!

The Joseph Solution and The Joseph Plan would bring Stability and Peace to the Kingdom within weeks. Thaksin AND Sondhi would be presented with offers they could NOT refuse. They would BOTH have to tell their armies to cease and desist.

Seh Daeng is a rogue nut alright. The red shirts would be better off without him, but I'm not sure if assassinating him while he's giving an interview to international media on live television is a good thing to do. Probably a rather stupid move.

Unbelievably sloppy, I was going to say journalism, but it doesn't deserve that label. I guess not much better than juvenile sensationalism. Headline reads "Seh Daeng shot in the head". Then not a single detail in the body of the story, but the story instead reports on someone else being shot in the chest.

Crap, I can't help but point out the irony of this:

Headline--Person A shot in the "head".

Body of story--Person B shot in the "body".

Is reporting in Thailand that simple?

Let me get this straight ...Thaksin's extrajudicial killings of drug dealers were fiercely condemned by the Democrats. Now the army has shot a General in the head while he was giving an interview to an international media reporter.

I assume he was given a fair trial before he was shot?

He is a self-declared armed anti-government rebel leader. He is not just any innocent (non)-suspect riding a bicycle. Taking him out will save many many lives, if not the country from civil war. Well done. Congratulations, finally to the army and government for a properly executed strategy.

Seh Daeng is a rogue nut alright. The red shirts would be better off without him, but I'm not sure if assassinating him while he's giving an interview to international media on live television is a good thing to do. Probably a rather stupid move.

Well international it does not look good, but after 2 weeks everything is forgotten.