What Type Of Visa

New to the board, second try to post a message.

I am trying to get help in determining which type of visa I should apply for. I want to remain in Thailand indefinitely. I would prefer least amount of aggrivation concerning border runs for extentions etc.

I am 70 years old, with adequate funds to support my self. I think I have adequate funds to satisfy bank deposit requirements, although I don't know the amount required.

I want to arrive in Thailand around 4th of July.

Thanks for any help

New to the board, second try to post a message.

I am trying to get help in determining which type of visa I should apply for. I want to remain in Thailand indefinitely. I would prefer least amount of aggrivation concerning border runs for extentions etc.

I am 70 years old, with adequate funds to support my self. I think I have adequate funds to satisfy bank deposit requirements, although I don't know the amount required.

I want to arrive in Thailand around 4th of July.

Thanks for any help

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am US Cit. living in las Vegas. Nearest Thai Consul is Los Angeles, 300 miles away. I tried telephone but could not make communicate my needs properly.

There is also a Consulate in Denver that could be used.

The requirements are about $21,000 in a US bank account (to be transferred to a Thai bank prior to next year extension of stay) and police check and medical (contagious disease) and you obtain a visa valid for your first year in Thailand - you repeat yearly inside Thailand with 800k baht in bank account and medical. Income/pension can also be used to meet the bank money requirements.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am US Cit. living in las Vegas. Nearest Thai Consul is Los Angeles, 300 miles away. I tried telephone but could not make communicate my needs properly.

How does a US citizen get a nick like (Tru Blu NEWFIE )! :o

Kissed any cod lately ? All Skreeched out ? :D

Kerryd: More on the CodFish and Screech later :o

Right now I'm pressed for time and I'm still not sure what to do about the Visa situation. Based on these replies I am now rethinking the matter, and my thinking is as follows:

Should I simply go to Thailand and enter on a "30 day tourist stamp"? I would then be able to work out the details of the residence Visa without being pressed for time (realizing that I would probably have to go to some neighbouring country to accomplish this).

Or should I get a 90 day Visa of some sort, because I'm assuming this will not be a time consuming situation involving medical certifcates, police forms, etc. So if anyone could enlighten me on these areas, I think that would do it.

What do you all think? Thanks for all the info so far :D

Semi-Retarded Steve

It is not a complicated as it all sounds.... You, or someone for you, can down load and print the required forms from the Thai Embassy website... They are all easy to fill out, and not complicated at all... Go to any doctor or clinic for a signature on the medical form, not really requiring a full phsyical.. Go to local Police Stattion and request a clearance form, they will know what when you tell them why... Make copies of bank statements showing enough financial strength, and send all in with photos to either Houston, Denver or Portland OR. Consulates, along with your passport and I would recommend going for the multiple entry, Non Imigrant "O" Retirement Visa... You should get everything back within about a week or 10 days...

Then just pack and get ready to enjoy the Next Phase of your life.... I just did it 3 months ago, and am truly enjoying living in this wonderful place...

Pianoman...

Agreeing with pianoman. Coming to Thailand nearly blind on a tourist visa just puts you in a bad light, in a country and language you don't know, at the mercy of a local office that can be very arbitrary, mistaking you for a superannuated hippy-backbacker. The American consul sites we've already mentioned (NOT Los Angeles) can give you what you need for your first 12 months.

If you're too busy now to do a few things that are easy enough, perhaps you're not ready to RETIRE in Thailand yet.

We assume that you've already been on the ground in Thailand, have a couple of stamps in your passport, know what you're doing, and will take the time to do it right. Tourist 30-day stamp is not the best way to be walking around Bangkok. Except maybe for Penang, neighboring countries aren't going to help you like the consulates in your own country will help you. The right visa costs around $125. You can get a retirement visa in a consulate in the USA based on funds in banks in the USA, or pensions you're now receiving. It'll be much, much harder to do that in Thailand - you'd have to have US$20,000 already in a THAI bank to get a retirement visa in Thailand.

I suspect you would not be looked upon as a hippy backpacker but you should have some type of visa, even if just a 60 day tourist type, before you enter Thailand as the 30 day entry without visa gives you no room for upgrade without leaving the country. A tourist visa could be changed to retirement inside Thailand and would allow time to set up a bank account (it can take time to find a branch to open without a long term visa) and transfer cash. Also if you have a one way ticket the airline can refuse to let you board as a requirement for 30 day stay without visa is onward confirmed transport.

With your US bank arrange a wire transfer agreement so that you will be able to transfer money later. Get a visa of some kind. Have you thought about medical insurance (it may not be available here at your age and there is no medicare or medicaid). You do not have a fixed date you have to be here so take the time to do it right. You do have some experience here?