Multifunction Steering Wheel - Pajero Sport

I am about to get hold of the parts required to get a multifunction steering wheel in my Pajero Sport.

I have found a website in thai that describes how to do this, but some of the links provided to the suppliers of the parts doesn't seem to work.

If anyone have any clue where to buy these parts, please feel free to let me know.

AudioSwitch001.jpg

img2801gx.jpg

I've done it:

steeringwheelcontrolsn.jpg

09052010251.jpg

The parts required are different for the 2008-09 vs 2010 model - as the 2010 model comes with cruise control, the clock-spring and wiring harness to the wheel is already there, 2008-09 models will require these additional (OEM) parts, and they're not by any means cheap.

If you have a 2010 model with cruise, the parts you'll need are:

1. The wheel switches. These are a genuine Mitsubishi part from the Lancer EX top model. Mitsubishi Part number 8701A087. Prices seem to vary from dealer to dealer - 1600 to 1900 + VAT seems to be the range. Order with your local Mitsubishi parts dept.

2. The Skott Audio wheel-stereo interface box. Part number SXN-1058. Price is 2200 Baht including EMS. Order direct from [email protected] (based in BKK, speak excellent English, prompt service)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Did it myself..

The only real challenge was getting the blue and red wires into the factory connector at the wheel end of things, as there's no spare pins in the required spots, just holes. In the end I managed to get those wires bouble-backed on each other, which created a good enough connection, and I tinned them with solder for prosperity. If you're able to source the pins and an appropriate tool to terminate them, that would be best of course though :)

The rest is all dead easy - a couple of terminations (orange to ACC and black to GND) at the stereo wiring harness (both clearly marked on a sticker atop of the Alpine DVD player), and then the remote signal wire which is just a plug-in affair..

very happy to see this topic.

i was wondering if this was available- and now see the good news.

i assume its a volume control but what else can it control?

please let me know where to buy and cost! thanks.

also, any idea what mitsu garage would charge to install?

appreciated.

chivo

very happy to see this topic.

i was wondering if this was available- and now see the good news.

i assume its a volume control but what else can it control?

* Volume up/down

* Track forward/back (though I must concede that 'back' has a bit of an odd behavior)

* Source switching i.e. DVD/Tuner/CD Changer/Aux

please let me know where to buy and cost! thanks.

also, any idea what mitsu garage would charge to install?

It's not a Mitsubishi service, in fact no-one at my local dealership was willing to accept it was even possible - I got 3x follow up phone calls asking if I was sure I wanted to buy a part from a Lancer EX.. :)

If you're not into DIY (or just don't have the tools etc), and auto electrician, auto airconditioning or auto sound shop ought to be able to take of the installation - I wouldn't expect to pay more than 100-200 Baht for the work.

The parts costs are already outline in my above post. If you have a 2008-09 Pajero Sport (without cruise control), add the following parts:

* Clockspring: Mitsubishi part number 8619A018. ~4800 Baht.

* Steering wheel wiring harness: Mitsubishi part number 4400A361. ~200 Baht.

Note that all of this only applies to the Pajero Sport GT - not the GLS.

Here's a little more detail on how to wire-up the SXN-1058:

* Orange - Accessory 12 volts (ACC)

* Black - Ground

^ These can be found at the DVD player or at the LCD screen - you might find the latter a little easier to work with.

* Remote signal (1/8" phono plug) - plugs directly into the back of the DVD player.

* Red - pin #2 of the steering wheel harness

* Blue - pin #3 of the steering wheel harness

* White - not connected.

Note: The pin #'s referenced are looking from underneath the steering column - see image below:

wheelwiring.jpg

Also note that the wiring for the SXN-1058 is unfortunately not long enough to locate it behind the DVD or LCD - you'll see in my photos (way above) that you have to mount it mid-way between the stereo and the steering wheel.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

and I tinned them with solder for prosperity.

I think the tinning with solder is a really good idea, but I just can't work out how you think it is going to make you wealthy. Is this some kind of alchemy? :)

hehe :D

Well, it'd definitely make me less wealthy if it came loose and caused a short :D

• 3 weeks later...
and I tinned them with solder for prosperity.

I think the tinning with solder is a really good idea, but I just can't work out how you think it is going to make you wealthy. Is this some kind of alchemy? :)

hehe :D

Well, it'd definitely make me less wealthy if it came loose and caused a short :D

If and when i get my 2.5GT (or should i go for the 3.2?) i`ll be doing this mod, and maybe drip some of that rubbery clue stick stuff into the plug to hold onto the wires incase they slip out..and it is easly peeled out after if req`d...

Just a note to you, can you give me any links to online brochures for accesories for the thai model all i can find are the aussie or uk accesories..looking for dog rack, rear liners etc..

And do you think the stage 2 chip with your exhaust pipe thing is enough to stop me needing the 3.2 engine...thanks

If and when i get my 2.5GT (or should i go for the 3.2?) i`ll be doing this mod, and maybe drip some of that rubbery clue stick stuff into the plug to hold onto the wires incase they slip out..and it is easly peeled out after if req`d...

Just a note to you, can you give me any links to online brochures for accesories for the thai model all i can find are the aussie or uk accesories..looking for dog rack, rear liners etc..

And do you think the stage 2 chip with your exhaust pipe thing is enough to stop me needing the 3.2 engine...thanks

We're getting a bit off-topic here :D

Get the 3.2 of you need (or think you'll need) 4WD, or if there's some other reason you want it, if not, the 2WD makes sense :D (how's that for non-comittal? :D )

As for using silicon or some-such to hold the wires, sure why not :D If you bend them back over themselves and tin them with solder as I did they're not coming out without some pretty serious effort - so either way would work..

RE: Accessories, I've never seen a "cargo barrier" (I assume that's what you mean by dog rack) in Thailand I'm afraid - putting your dog(s) in the back of the car is just not the Thai way (toy dogs in the front licking your face, or in the back of a pickup is the Thai way :D ). As for rear liners, you may want to consider even more coverage if you're going to be heading out of the city..

This is what I put in mine:

Photo-Y8K7DFM4-D.jpg

Photo-T3OM6EKZ-D.jpg

Photo-XIYXPP87-D.jpg

Cost is 2500 Baht + delivery for a full-car 14-piece set, and the quality is truly superb. :)

The vendor can be contacted on 086-378-1555 or email at //e-mail removed as per forum rules// . Many colors are available.. The conact name for the vendor is "เมษ" (Met) - note that he speaks limited English though..

We're getting a bit off-topic here :D

Get the 3.2 of you need (or think you'll need) 4WD, or if there's some other reason you want it, if not, the 2WD makes sense :D (how's that for non-comittal? :D )

As for using silicon or some-such to hold the wires, sure why not :D If you bend them back over themselves and tin them with solder as I did they're not coming out without some pretty serious effort - so either way would work..

RE: Accessories, I've never seen a "cargo barrier" (I assume that's what you mean by dog rack) in Thailand I'm afraid - putting your dog(s) in the back of the car is just not the Thai way (toy dogs in the front licking your face, or in the back of a pickup is the Thai way :D ). As for rear liners, you may want to consider even more coverage if you're going to be heading out of the city..

This is what I put in mine:

Photo-Y8K7DFM4-D.jpg

Photo-T3OM6EKZ-D.jpg

Photo-XIYXPP87-D.jpg

Cost is 2500 Baht + delivery for a full-car 14-piece set, and the quality is truly superb. :)

The vendor can be contacted on 086-378-1555 or email at //e-mail removed as per forum rules// . Many colors are available.. The conact name for the vendor is "เมษ" (Met) - note that he speaks limited English though..

Sorry for going off topic, WOW those mats do look good for protection from that red mud in the north where i am...i think the 2 wheel drive will do then, if i get the mods you`ve mentioned on the other thread, i`ll be using it on the road and have no intention for going rough....thankyou for your helpfull reply, and maybe i can p.m. you if your ok with that? about the specific details re. the chip/pipe/ etc..very kind regards sir..

p.s your pic shows a left foot rest, the 2.5gt i test drove didn`t have one, can they be added?

Edited by rizla

p.s your pic shows a left foot rest, the 2.5gt i test drove didn`t have one, can they be added?

I've read that there's been some changes to the front seat mounting points (cosmetic only) but nothing to suggest that the driver's foot rest has been deleted - that'd be a step backwards if it's the case. It's only an 'impression' in the floor, not a bolt-on - are you sure it's gone?

Feel free to PM me for email addresses that this forum won't allow, but be warned that I do largely ignore them and I don't get conversational in PM's :) If there's intel I have that's of use, it's better to share anyway :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to forumers, I just want to ask if the maker of these carpet will be able to send it in the Philippines? I really want a set of these carpet mattings but unfortunately my location is far. Can I have his e-mail address? Thank you very much.

Off topic, strictly speaking, but if you are after a "dog rack" (not the type that fits on the BBQ!) you can get adjustable models for vans/estates from ShamuShamu who have a couple of shops in Bangkok and a large mail order business and extensive web-site. Their quarterly catalogues/magazines are also available at See-ed bookshops (every quarter!).

• 2 months later...

regarding the original topic here, i asked at the dealer where i bought my MPSport they said the stereo steering wheel control would come out at about 5000 baht... they knew what it was... i was wondering if that was a fair price and now i see the above post says 1600-1900b for one part and 2200b for the second part, with a few hundred for labor. it adds up then... i might just have them install so i dont <deleted> anything up...

regarding the original topic here, i asked at the dealer where i bought my MPSport they said the stereo steering wheel control would come out at about 5000 baht... they knew what it was... i was wondering if that was a fair price and now i see the above post says 1600-1900b for one part and 2200b for the second part, with a few hundred for labor. it adds up then... i might just have them install so i dont <deleted> anything up...

They dont have the control box though, at least I was under that impression.

For me it was a hassle even ordering the Steering Wheel control from the Mitsubishi dealer 'cause they claimed it wouldn't work. In they end I had to explain to them "just order the dam_n thing, I'll worry about the rest".

:lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey MRO thats awesome! great idea...

Is that the alipne stereo or the sony stereo in the pic you posted?

i just put an order in for the later model 2.5 GT and it comes with the alpine and the touch screen

Unfortunately no AUX or USB is on the alpine, and suprisingly the cheaper model with the sony stereo does have AUX in and USB

I was tempted to downgrade (or upgrade) to the sony. But they told me the touch screen wouldnt work with the sony... grrr!

anyways...

Just wondering what stereo you have in yours, i see you have the touch screen dvd too

Did your have AUX in? or know if it can be modded to fit one?

thanks

Hey MRO thats awesome! great idea...

Is that the alipne stereo or the sony stereo in the pic you posted?

i just put an order in for the later model 2.5 GT and it comes with the alpine and the touch screen

Unfortunately no AUX or USB is on the alpine, and suprisingly the cheaper model with the sony stereo does have AUX in and USB

I was tempted to downgrade (or upgrade) to the sony. But they told me the touch screen wouldnt work with the sony... grrr!

anyways...

Just wondering what stereo you have in yours, i see you have the touch screen dvd too

Did your have AUX in? or know if it can be modded to fit one?

thanks

It's Alpine.

AUX, iPhone etc is possible. Just search MRO's previous posts on the forum. It's all there with the part numbers and details.