Best Sim Card For Texting Uk From Thailand?

w11guy

Buy a sim card from 7/11 and send it by post to UK (top up and activate it first)...

Then get the person in UK to get free sim from e.g O2 website or Vodafone and send it to u as well after activating it..

You will then be able to text the Thai sim in the UK at local rate and the person in UK can do the same....:-)

The trick is there is no charge to receive sms when u r abroad...

Quite long winded but if u text a lot its worth it...

Cheers

True Inter SIM in Thailand?

What UK SIM do you have, if any? Eg. o2 offer free SMS service from their website.

I think there are many ways to send free SMS via the web these days, but obviously not useful when you're/they're out on the go.

Buy a sim card from 7/11 and send it by post to UK (top up and activate it first)...

Then get the person in UK to get free sim from e.g O2 website or Vodafone and send it to u as well after activating it..

You will then be able to text the Thai sim in the UK at local rate and the person in UK can do the same....:-)

Cheers

This is nonsense. The person in the UK will pay a 'Roaming' rate to send a text message to Thailand if they use a Thai SIM in the UK. For instance, 'roam' in the UK with a DTAC SIM on Vodaphone; it will cost you 12 baht plus 7% Vat to send a message back to Thailand.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Cheers

This is nonsense. The person in the UK will pay a 'Roaming' rate to send a text message to Thailand if they use a Thai SIM in the UK. For instance, 'roam' in the UK with a DTAC SIM on Vodaphone; it will cost you 12 baht plus 7% Vat to send a message back to Thailand.

I dont think he meant to use the sims to send messages, they are only to receive. To send use another local SIM. e.g. If sending from UK, send sms from another UK number to the UK sim thats in thailand so you get local rates.

Cheers

I dont think he meant to use the sims to send messages, they are only to receive. To send use another local SIM. e.g. If sending from UK, send sms from another UK number to the UK sim thats in thailand so you get local rates.

This is correct, of course you then use another UK sim to txt the UK sim and another Thai sim to txt the Thai sim.

In UK u can get unlimited free txt when u top up 10 pounds...(t-mobile)...

A UK sim does not get charged to reveive sms when abroad..

Cheers

LOL. This is way too complicated for me. I would rather pay a little extra and have a simple solution. Great though if you're just texting one person a lot, but there are a few that I keep in touch with.

This is correct, of course you then use another UK sim to txt the UK sim and another Thai sim to txt the Thai sim.

What UK SIM do you have, if any? Eg. o2 offer free SMS service from their website.

I think there are many ways to send free SMS via the web these days, but obviously not useful when you're/they're out on the go.

I have Orange SIM card at the moment, but am planning get a Thai number, as I will be using mostly to call/text in BKK. So I just wanted to know which of those was best for texting UK. I also have to consider how my friends in UK can text me cheaply.

Cheers

So you need two mobiles each?? :) This is also assuming that the msgs are only going to one person.

I have Orange SIM card at the moment, but am planning get a Thai number, as I will be using mostly to call/text in BKK. So I just wanted to know which of those was best for texting UK. I also have to consider how my friends in UK can text me cheaply.

I've already told you. :) If your friends don't want to use the PC, you should get another phone for the Thai SIM(or get a Twin SIM mobile). Then your friends can continue to send to your Orange mobile. You can send from your new HAPPY SIMPLE SIM.

Also many services available to call you from the UK from as little as 0.5p per minute using 0844 call through numbers.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

• 1 month later...

I've already told you. :) If your friends don't want to use the PC, you should get another phone for the Thai SIM(or get a Twin SIM mobile). Then your friends can continue to send to your Orange mobile. You can send from your new HAPPY SIMPLE SIM.

Also many services available to call you from the UK from as little as 0.5p per minute using 0844 call through numbers.

I can't see how this can possibly work. I already have a UK SIM card. If my friend texts me from his UK SIM card, then I will pay about 20-30p to receive the text. UK to UK texting is only free within the UK. If you take your phone out of the UK you have to pay raoming charges to receive the text. I have already tried this in many countries.

In any case, I don't want to carry two phones around with me and I doubt my friends do either. It would mean all of us buying a 2nd phone.

I am looking for a solution where I can text from my Thai SIM to my friends UK SIMs. I know that you can do the opposite for £3/month. Texts get routed via internet. But I can't find anything similar that works the other way.

I can't see how this can possibly work. I already have a UK SIM card. If my friend texts me from his UK SIM card, then I will pay about 20-30p to receive the text. UK to UK texting is only free within the UK. If you take your phone out of the UK you have to pay raoming charges to receive the text. I have already tried this in many countries.

In any case, I don't want to carry two phones around with me and I doubt my friends do either. It would mean all of us buying a 2nd phone.

I am looking for a solution where I can text from my Thai SIM to my friends UK SIMs. I know that you can do the opposite for £3/month. Texts get routed via internet. But I can't find anything similar that works the other way.

Seems you still don't understand.

I don't know where you got the idea that you have to pay to RECEIVE text msgs via SMS in Thailand when you are Roaming. You don't. There may be countries where this is applicable; possibly USA, Hong Kong.. but not Thailand. Seems your whole premise is based on this mistake.

Again....Use the Thai SIM to SEND to the UK for 5 baht per 160 characters.

Your UK friends can send SMS to your Thai number, but it will cost them up to 20p per 160 characters for an International text message(it would be cheaper for them to call). To AVOID this cost to them, you can keep a phone with your UK SIM in it. That way they will be able send via SMS UK - UK regardless of your location. If they have a message bundle this will cost them nothing. If not it will be the cost of a Domestic text message which is generally much cheaper than sending International via SMS. Of course they can slso use your '£3 per month' solution to send to your Thai phone.

I have also posted a solution where they can send you message via the web for free.